Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery Clog - Toilet won't flush

Hi all,

I recently found this forum while researching some issues with testing & cathodic protection requirements for gas piping (I stumbled across the "Help with gas pipe" thread and just about laughed my a$$ off ) and I found the answer to my question to boot!

I have a problem that maybe you guys can help me with - We had some visitors a week ago, and they used our guest bathroom, which up until that time had worked fine. When they left I noticed that the water closet will flush, but doesn't completely evacuate the bowl - almost like the trap is partially obstructed. I plungered the heck out of it, but that didn't help. Since our visitors have an 8-year old boy I figured maybe he tried to flush something he shouldn't, so I tried to clear it with a closet auger, which turned up no apparent obstructions, nothing on the auger, but still no full flush. If I put paper in the bowl it's obvious that something is going on, because the evacuation is extremely slow.

I've also check the flush holes in the rim to make sure I had adequate water flow, and even the flapper in the tank to make sure it was getting out of the way. Everything works there, but still no bowl evacuation.

Now here's the kicker - once in a while, it flushes perfectly.

Any ideas about what to do next or what the problem might be? I'm about ready to pull the bowl and check the trap from below as well as the wax ring and elbow, but I figured if the wax ring was displaced I'd have some wax on the tip of the auger.

Thanks for any advice!

Re: Mystery Clog - Toilet won't flush

If for example, a pencil got flushed, it would stop at the outlet of the toiler because it can't make the corner. Water will pass. TP won't. But TP disintegrates after a few flushes, and you're back to a toilet that works with #1 again! Good as gold if you're a beer drinker!

I can't tell you how many different items I've pulled. Had floss that actually looked like a spider web in a one piece Kohler once. Before you call your plumber, you can try this: get out all the water from the trap, get a mirror small enough to fit, and a flashlight, and look up in there. If it's a rubber turtle or toothbrush or something it may have not made that corner. If you can see it, you can probably get it with a coathanger.
    sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

I agree with boilerman, my the way I LOVE your avatar!

Comment

I third that

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
          I agree with boilerman, my the way I LOVE your avatar!
          Thank you. Can you believe my son still remembers that particular truck?

Comment

ummm I was talking about GChiumep.... But I like yours too!

Comment

It's the pcrack original. He was the first to have it.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Duh.

Comment

Yea, I was afraid that was the next step... I was just hoping there might be something else I was overlooking. I'm not half bad at drawing the stuff but when it comes to actually having to get my hands dirty my skills are a bit more limited!

Thanks to all for the suggestions!

Comment

Originally posted by GChiumep View Post
                    I'm not half bad at drawing the stuff but when it comes to actually having to get my hands dirty my skills are a bit more limited!

Thanks to all for the suggestions!
                    This is why I hate engineers.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Give up My Micro sea snake, for yer helper
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

i second that

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                          Give up My Micro sea snake, for yer helper
                          If I could find a plumber that looked like that I'd come up with a lot more plumbing problems, that's for sure...

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            This is why I hate engineers.
                            Well, considering the fact that I've seen my share of "Slap 'n Twist" plumbers over the years install some crap that my grandson could have done a better job at, trust me - it goes both ways. Difference is I don't "hate" people who aren't as good at my job as I am.

I've probably learned more from good plumbers over the years than I ever did from any book, and I'm always grateful for their advice and wisdom. I see too many kids come out of engineering school these days who don't even know how much they don't know... they love to draw things that don't exist or can't be built, and figure "the guys in the field" will make it work.

I've also learned over the years that any plumber that "hates engineers" usually needed his hand held and resented it. And for the record, I'm not an engineer.

Thanks for your kind welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by GChiumep View Post
                              Well, considering the fact that I've seen my share of "Slap 'n Twist" plumbers over the years install some crap that my grandson could have done a better job at, trust me - it goes both ways. Difference is I don't "hate" people who aren't as good at my job as I am.

I've probably learned more from good plumbers over the years than I ever did from any book, and I'm always grateful for their advice and wisdom. I see too many kids come out of engineering school these days who don't even know how much they don't know... they love to draw things that don't exist or can't be built, and figure "the guys in the field" will make it work.

I've also learned over the years that any plumber that "hates engineers" usually needed his hand held and resented it. And for the record, I'm not an engineer.

Thanks for your kind welcome.

I'm speechless.

BTW the avitar reaffirms the need for female cleavage in my life

Comment

Working...
                              X