Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water heater problem

Hello everyone,

We had a water heater develop a hole in the bottom of it. We've got two, so we have hot water and it's not a critial situation. Even though I've got both the "hot" and "cold" valves turned off, though, the tank won't drain and it seems that water is still making it into the tank. I'm afraid that one of the shut off valves is broken and if I remove the tank it will leak.

The water that is draning is cold, so at least I don't think the hot water from the other heater is filling the 2nd one. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do about it (other than drop $150 on a plumber)?

Re: Water heater problem

You should not have a valve on both the hot and cold side. A good recipe for disaster. Plan to drop a lot more than $150.
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Why's that? Seems that as long as I was sure one wasn't leaking I could just detach the two pipes from the heater and remove it.

Comment

You're ok with a shutoff on both sides. Make sure you shut off the gas too. Or electric if that's what you have. If it won't shut off a hundred percent, break down and get a plumber to replace the culprit valve. While he or she is at it, they probably would do that for the cost of the valve if they are there to replace the heater.
        sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

I am wondering why you had two W/H if only one was needed. If it is piped in series you can simply remove the heater and reconnect the two lines completing the circuit. If they are piped in parallel, simply remove both shutoffs and cap the lines.
          Last edited by Devine Plumbing; 08-22-2008, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Don't listen to Devine. He's not a plumber, has never worked for a plumber, and does not know the plumbing code. Probably doesn't even have a code book. Probably wouldn't know which code book to get if he wanted to. He's a hack DIYer who's been masquerading as someone who knows what he's doing, but has never really taken the time or effort to find out.

Comment

Now I remember why I left.

Comment

Nothin' personal.

Comment

Originally posted by boillerman View Post
                  Nothin' personal.
                  I agree, nothing personal Devine...you seem like a heck of a guy, but you pretty much go against everything we learn as we do our time to earn a license.

As for the O/P, at risk of deviating from Ridgid protocol, get a plumber.

A water heater is not something you should do on your own.

Comment

Yeah, I've shut off the gas as well.

I'm not really looking to get the heater replaced right now...I've still got the one and I'm thinking I may just see how it goes with the one for a while, or consider replacing them both with a tankless.

I'm more concerned about about wasting watter if it's draining into the broken tank. I was really thinking that just shutting down the valves would do it, but that doesn't seeem to be the case. I'm REAL tempted try disconnecting the the heater and see what happens, but I'd kind of be up a creek if the valve leaked. I guess I could hook the tank back up.......

Comment

Originally posted by Girevik View Post
                      Yeah, I've shut off the gas as well.

I'm not really looking to get the heater replaced right now...I've still got the one and I'm thinking I may just see how it goes with the one for a while, or consider replacing them both with a tankless.

I'm more concerned about about wasting watter if it's draining into the broken tank. I was really thinking that just shutting down the valves would do it, but that doesn't seeem to be the case. I'm REAL tempted try disconnecting the the heater and see what happens, but I'd kind of be up a creek if the valve leaked. I guess I could hook the tank back up.......
                      If your dealing with a gas heater, your probably don't want to screw around with it. Call a couple of plumbers, find one that can come out and cap everything off for a price you can live with. You should sleep better knowing that it is removed in a safe way.

Comment

Originally posted by girevik View Post
                        does anyone have any suggestions on what i can do about it (other than drop $150 on a plumber)?
                        you would be paying a lot more than 150 for a plumber trust me..!

Comment

Wait till you see the price of tankless--u will crap---i install rinnai's residential / comm model for 2500-3500 depending on repipe and vent--

if u think you can buy one at home crapdepot, and diy--you will blow up your home andor break it---

computers are 4 computer geeks, as plumbing is 4 plumbers
                          stick to what u know---i have a 1 hr minimum charge and pressing a new valve in and making sure its isolated would be right around that time frame--you can get a new valve and peace of mind knowing its safe for probably around 150$--lot cheaper than a big gas bill for heating leaking water and cheaper than insurance deductible if you blow something up
                          dont be stupid, call a plumber

Comment

Originally posted by Girevik View Post
                            Hello everyone,

We had a water heater develop a hole in the bottom of it. We've got two, so we have hot water and it's not a critial situation. Even though I've got both the "hot" and "cold" valves turned off, though, the tank won't drain and it seems that water is still making it into the tank. I'm afraid that one of the shut off valves is broken and if I remove the tank it will leak.

The water that is draning is cold, so at least I don't think the hot water from the other heater is filling the 2nd one. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do about it (other than drop $150 on a plumber)?
                            This is incredibly obvious what you should do,

CALL A PLUMBER IMMEDIATELY AND STOP BEING SUCH A CHEAPSKATE!
                            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Hate to say this but I have always been told not to put shut off on both sides of the water heater also
                              I would guess the heater are not hooked up in series but parrallel as you are still getting hot water
                              Did you drain out the tank after turning the water off ?
                              It might take a while to drain if not drawing any air you might try disconnecting the T & P valve from the bad heater to get it to drain properly
                              If you are able to shut of both valves above the bad heater you can cut the lines using a proper pipe cutter and use sharkbyte caps below the shutoff valves . But this is just a temporary fix and you should get a licensed plumber to look at whatever you plan on doing next ( either replacin the existing tank or putiing in a tankless ) as this is something I would never recommend for the typical homeowner

Comment

Working...
                              X