Copper to PVC???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Copper to PVC???

Sounds like something is crossthreaded. Usually don't have a difficult time with the conneciton you describe. Hmmmmm......

J.C.

Comment

Connection. I do have trouble with spelling.

J.C.

Comment

Take a peek up in the female adapter and see if any solder is on the threads.

J.C.

Comment

proper teflon is three to four wraps,

Comment

On the exterior of a house I always preceed all copper to pvc connections with a ball valve so that when an issue arises you do not have to kill your entire system.

Comment

Thx all for help. No solder on the threads - I was watching for that when I soldered. No stripped threads. I think I'll try another pvc male.

I agree it should work. The replaced galvanized/pvc joint didn't leak. If worse comes to worse I can try these I guess (pretty pricey tho)...

http://www.bigbrandwater.com/pvcadaptort2.html
              Last edited by 70runner; 08-23-2008, 01:06 PM.

Comment

That's what I was going to suggest next. Try another male adapter, use teflon tape, a little pipe dope, and you should be ok. Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

you probably arent tightening it enough--hand tight is not enough, u know--you have the trans fittings right-thats good-i use tape and dope-no leaks my way--and also, if u over tighten, u can crack the male adapter--

i used to install lawn sprinklers, and because of water hammer of quick closing valves, i would never use a dresser there--either glue with irrigation glue(hot) or solder or press copper-the temp changes and ground movement i dont think would be good for a dresser

Comment

Originally posted by 70runner View Post
                    rigidpipe...great idea but wouldn't I need a transition fitting between the existing PVC and the CPVC female of the transition fitting?

stoke...I have 3/4 copper pipe exiting the house about 2ft above ground to a copper T. One side of the T is a faucet, the other side is copper pipe to a ball valve, then a 90 elbow down to a copper female. The copper female mates with a PVC male and the PVC continues underground to a supply a sprinkler system.

Trying the different combinations of teflon and pipe compound on the male PVC fitting, I'm simply cutting the vertical PVC line then screwing in the PVC male, then cementing the PVC line with a slip fitting.
                    No this is a transition fitting just get rid of the female adaptor and sweat this right to the copper tee or use a copper coupling where you removed the copper female adaptor ( try not to heat the CPVC transition side of the fitting , Thats why I wrap it with a wet rag ) Once you have it sweated to the copper side you just glue your 3/4 pipe into the other end of the fitting and do whatever cpvc work you need to after that

Sorry I didnt respond sooner I had to leave for work and catch my nephews football game

Comment

Thx everyone...this is a great forum. I found one of these at local pool supply store today, PVC cement on one end, copper compression on the other. Should do the trick.

Comment

You probably have the problem fixed by now, but I just had to throw in my two cents.

In my opinion, the best way to go from copper to PVC is with a copper female adapter and a PVC schedule 80 nipple. The schedule 80 nipples have more material in the thread area then a schedule 40 male adapter. I repair broken PVC male adapters on an almost daily basis. I fixed a broken 2" one a while back. It pumped a few thousand gallons of water under a two story tall eight unit building before I got there and turned the water off. The building sank.

As for the compression couplings on PVC pipe, I will never use one. All the ones I come across have blown apart. I'm sure there are maybe one or two holding somewhere in the world, but I have never seen them.

The proper way to use teflon tape is 3 or 4 wraps. If you use to much teflon, it applies outward pressure on the fitting it is screwed into, which could cause it to fail.

Just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
                          You probably have the problem fixed by now, but I just had to throw in my two cents.

In my opinion, the best way to go from copper to PVC is with a copper female adapter and a PVC schedule 80 nipple. The schedule 80 nipples have more material in the thread area then a schedule 40 male adapter. I repair broken PVC male adapters on an almost daily basis. I fixed a broken 2" one a while back. It pumped a few thousand gallons of water under a two story tall eight unit building before I got there and turned the water off. The building sank.

As for the compression couplings on PVC pipe, I will never use one. All the ones I come across have blown apart. I'm sure there are maybe one or two holding somewhere in the world, but I have never seen them.

The proper way to use teflon tape is 3 or 4 wraps. If you use to much teflon, it applies outward pressure on the fitting it is screwed into, which could cause it to fail.

Just my two cents.
                          Agreed,my pvc crate has a few 1 and 3/4 by 4 nipples cut in half.I have found that unless I prime the eighty really well it has blown because the blue "Christies" won't penetrate as well as on the forty.I wonder how the gray desolves the forty.I could fab up a few in gray and have em' ready to go blue on the other side of the coupling.

Comment

Nevada Plumber and DirtyHands: Last August you were addressing something I'm really interested in--can you clarify? Instead of using a schedule 80 male adapter, you use a schedule 80 nipple, cut it in half, and then cement a regular schd 40 coupling onto the nipple? And DirtyHands: any conclusions about the gray glue?

I'm thinking through every possible option with regard to the pvc to copper problem--there seems to be a fine line, when the pressure is high, between overtightening the plastic male threads and the threads not being tight enough. Overtightened male threads sit there looking at you and won't tell you if they're going to give way later this year or not. But the undertightened ones mean you have to shut it down and bleed it again, and wait another hour. Probably a good reason to use a pvc union.

Interested in anyone's thoughts. Thanks.

Comment

I use both tape and teflon paste COMBINED...never have a problem. IF you do then just use tape and BLOCK.

Comment

I would use a copper male,,and a pvc female its stronger and it just works better.

Comment

Working...
                                X