X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper to PVC???

Slab house - exterior water line from wall is copper to an iron T. One side of the T goes to a faucet. THe other side of the T is iron pipe to a gate valve then more iron pipe to a PVC junction which feeds a sprinkler system. The iron decayed and I replaced the entire T, gate valve, etc with copper. My problem is the copper - PVC junction. I'm using a 3/4 PVC male to copper female. I tried teflon first, then pipe compound. Teflon was better but still slow leak. Suggestions?
    Last edited by 70runner; 08-23-2008, 01:25 AM.

Re: Copper to PVC???

That is the correct way (and about the only way) to make the transition. I am partial to teflon tape, but most people do not use enough. Try 8-10 wraps. Just make sure you are wrapping the tape right (clockwise as you are looking at the threads) It would not hurt to use both the teflon tape and paste. Let us know how you make out.
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Thx for reply. I actually tried teflon, then compound. Used about 6 wraps. Both leaked but the teflon was better. Is there another option?

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
        That is the correct way (and about the only way) to make the transition. I am partial to teflon tape, but most people do not use enough. Try 8-10 wraps. Just make sure you are wrapping the tape right (clockwise as you are looking at the threads) It would not hurt to use both the teflon tape and paste. Let us know how you make out.
        Nice to see you back Devine! You add spice to the forum
        spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Hahahaha, I could not stay away too long. This forum is too addictive. Do they have a recovery group?

Comment

Originally posted by 70runner View Post
            Thx for reply. I actually tried teflon, then compound. Used about 6 wraps. Both leaked but the teflon was better. Is there another option?
            The only other option is to use a dresser coupling with a brass nipple, then make the connection to the copper female adapter. I would not use this, especially under a slab, but you asked for another option.

Comment

Sorry for confusion...not under slab, the joint is above ground, copper comes out of the house, PVC goes underground to sprinklers. I'll try your suggestion of teflon with compound. 8-10 wraps?
              Last edited by 70runner; 08-23-2008, 03:23 AM.

Comment

I would not be afraid to use a dresser coupling outside in an exposed location.

Comment

Never used one. Would the box stores carry this or would I need to find a plumbing supply?

Comment

You should be able to find this at any box store. Typically made out of either galvanized or PVC. Kind of looks like a giant compression union. Screw a brass nipple into your copper female adapter. Then insert the brass nipple in one end and the PVC in the other end.

Comment

Thx again. I'm going to try the teflon with compound first. If that doesn't work, I'll try the dresser coupling.

Comment

Originally posted by 70runner View Post
                        Slab house - exterior water line from wall is copper to an iron T. One side of the T goes to a faucet. THe other side of the T is iron pipe to a gate valve then more iron pipe to a PVC junction which feeds a sprinkler system. The iron decayed and I replaced the entire T, gate valve, etc with copper. My problem is the copper - PVC junction. I'm using a 3/4 PVC male to copper female. I tried teflon first, then pipe compound. Teflon was better but still slow leak. Suggestions?
                        When I make a copper to CPVC connection I use a copper to CPVC transition fitting which looks like a long piece of pipe that you solder on one end and the other end has a bell end that you glue the CPVC into
                        I usually take a wet rag and wrap it around the CPVC side so as not to damage the CPVC side when heating up the joint on the copper side of the fitting
                        This is truelly the best way in my opinion to make the transition from copper to CPVC
                        I will see if I can find a link to the fitting so you can see what I am talking about

Comment

This is what the fitting looks like

Comment

70runner, walk me through your procedure.

Comment

rigidpipe...great idea but wouldn't I need a transition fitting between the existing PVC and the CPVC female of the transition fitting?

stoke...I have 3/4 copper pipe exiting the house about 2ft above ground to a copper T. One side of the T is a faucet, the other side is copper pipe to a ball valve, then a 90 elbow down to a copper female. The copper female mates with a PVC male and the PVC continues underground to a supply a sprinkler system.

Trying the different combinations of teflon and pipe compound on the male PVC fitting, I'm simply cutting the vertical PVC line then screwing in the PVC male, then cementing the PVC line with a slip fitting.

Comment

Working...
                              X