X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myth or not

Back in the 80's when I was doing plumbing, an old man who was my teacher told me that if you were to pour grease down the sink to do it with cold water.

This will solidify the grease instantly and will make the grease go down the drain a lot easier without attaching to the drain pipe. Where as if you ran hot water with the grease, the grease will travel down farther and it'll start to attach itself to the pipe.

Grant it, we all know we should not do this, but its gonna happen. Especially to the people that are ignorant and don't care.

Is this a myth, or is there a lot of truth to the running of cold water as you dump a small portion of grease????

Ok, the reason for my question is. I was working today at a customers house and she had a Plumber there because her kitchen sink was plugged. The guy snaked out the lines and it was full of grease. As he was finishing up, he told her to run lots of hot water when pouring grease down the sink.

He never informed her not to do this or said anything about cold water. It blew me for a loop, totally the opposite of the way I was taught.

So I was also wondering if this is a way for him to guarantee a return paid visit?

I wanted to tell her what I was taught, but I knew that would be wrong, I just won't get down and say the opposite of another tradesman, that would be rude and could cause a situation.

Even if I'm right here, which I'll be going back, but I will still not say anything.

No matter what, people dump grease down their drains and the reason behind that is, what its just a little bit of grease. Even I have done this on many occasions, but I run cold water and a proper amount and I have never had a clogged pipe.

Maybe my arteries later on....

So who is right, me or the Plumbing guy????
    Last edited by garager; 08-23-2008, 07:24 PM. Reason: spelling
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: Myth or not

Don't know. Understand both ways reasoning but noone has a longterm-controlled-lab test to prove hot or cold water with grease wrong. And that's the only way you can prove it.

J.C.

Comment

They should do a mythbusters on this LOL! It's hard to say. I've heard that running cold water is better. BUT, if you continue to run really hot water as your pour grease down, it'll be liquid farther down. If you run cold water down the drain first, won't it just clump up and act as build up right away?

I'm not sure how hot water needs to be for the grease to stay a liquid compared to a solid. If you have hot water running down a pipe, it would have to stay pretty hot it's whole journey down to the main and even out to the street. What happens when you run just hot water in your sink? You get steam, right? Picture hot water running down a pipe. The whole pipe (the inside) would be filled with some steam also. I think this would help the grease go farther down.

So after my thinking here, I would say hot water would be better. But, who knows. I'm open for opinions
      Last edited by HouseOfAtlas; 08-23-2008, 07:34 PM.
      YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

So this is a good question and possibly no real answer to it. Myth buster, well who knows maybe it should be one for them to try....
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Tell you what. I don't know the answer to this either but I have some clear pvc so when schools starts up again maybe I'll have the boys do a little experiment.
          sigpic

Comment

Why would you pour grease down the drain? I'ld advise the customer to pour it in a paper cup and after it solidifies feed the birds w/ it. Otherwise tell her she could get a grease trap. Make lots of money.

Seriously, if you absolutely knew the answer was cold water why wouldn't you share that info? There's just as much debate about running water softener discharges into septic systems. Even among the septic guys.
            You can do it in such a way as to not make the other guy look bad you know. Of course, I'm not a big fan of telling other people things you know just because someone else 'taught' you that. That's how churches and politicians spread their missinformation.

I like the mythbusters idea. You never know, they must be looking for ideas by now.
            sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

It's all job security for me.

"Keep using it the way you was before I got here!"

"Have a good day!"
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                Tell you what. I don't know the answer to this either but I have some clear pvc so when schools starts up again maybe I'll have the boys do a little experiment.
                That was going to be my suggestion NHM, do a little experiment and see what happens with some clear or glass pipe.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I think for sure the one myth would be that flushing grease with hot water does any food. The solidus phase of scrap cooking grease is probably lower than the temp of your hot water, plus it cools rapidly as it mixes with air and other water in the drain, so I think that story is definitely a no-go. Don't know what happens if you hit the grease with a blast of cold water. I don't think I want to check it out!

Comment

i was always told, when cleaning a grease line, use hot--then 2 years ago, i was told cold worked better
                    personally, i think hot would get it further down, but what do i care as long as im still clearing sewers

if someone tests this, please post as id like to hear the report

Comment

NHM TEACHING NEXT YEAR ????? Not when We inform the school board about Your schanaggans here!
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I usually give the advice to use cold water. But it's pointless, really. How are you going to rinse a skillet with cold water?

Still, the clogs seem to be about twenty feet down the kitchen drain - just about right for it to start cooling.

I'm not particularly careful and have not had any grease plug problems in over 30 years, but I don't cut my pipes open to see how they look, either.

I agree that so far as I know, no one has done any serious testing on this. They simply make tools and products that are supposed to remove the grease and other stuff wherever it is.

Comment

I can say from personal experience when drain cleaning it's better to use cold water. I went upstream through a 2 way cleanout into about 12" of solid grease. As I was cutting the grease out, I saw big chunks just floating downstream. If it was hot water, it would've melted and clung to the sidewalls later down the line. That being said, I will run hot water just when I'm about to retrive my cables just to clean them off.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

ben

cold water causes the grease to go from a liquid to a solid much faster.

the object is to keep the grease a solid and let it travel down the waste line like a turd

when i jet a line, i use cold water. i'm not trying to melt the grease. i'm trying to knock it off and keep it in a solid state.

anyone who cameras a line will know what floating oil/ grease does to a line. it coats the top and turns white.

melting it with hot water will only cause it to re-solidify down the line. cold keeps it flowing longer than hot.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, read again my post. Me and you said the same thing.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X