Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soil pipe

hello all,
    i have a lead soil pipe that has a crack in it i want to change it out to abs
    any hints on the most effective way to remove it any information would be great thank you

Re: soil pipe

please post a photo so we can see what you're up against.

this eliminates any guessing.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I'm gonna second that.

It'll be easier for us to tell you how to do it faster, and it'll be less cussing on your end when you go to do it.
      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

heres the best advice--call a plumber--replacing your sewer main is not a job for a diy guy or novice--do you want the home to smell like crap?? or do u want to open pandoras box for a plumber once u see its not easy??if you are replacing a small section and jar it to much, you may break a seal upstraem and start problems--if u have not done this work a few times, it is not that easy---

best advice to save u a big headache----call a plumber

Comment

Wtf?! Hold on to your horses, he might of mis-spoke and meant to just say cast iron. So saying it's a main with his breif description is jumping the gun.

I'm here to help.
          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Wtf???--??? If hes speaking of replacing the stack or all or any, this is not a job for someone that has never done so--someone that never did it may not know how much pitch, where to cut, what to support,what bands,how many fittings----there is a lot involved---if it is lead and he tries it himself and jars it all and breaks a few joints not knowing so, he could make a lot more work then he would like-------

i say this b/c i have gone to calls b4 where a diy guy cut the stack to low with a saw and cracked it and turned it into a cut floor and a big bill----manufacturing is for manufacturers and plumbing is for plumbers---i dont mean this in a nasty way--if he was talking about replacing a faucet, id be glad to help--but lead joint pipe--if it is what he says, is in my opinion not an easy task for an inexperienced non plumber--he may be replacing a shower drain and trap and have plenty of room to work--who knows---

i say what i say b/c ive seen guys try to diy and then crack a few joints and open pandoras box-----in my opinion if you havent done this b4, dont try it now!!!!!!--if u do--good luck--hope it goes well--ask lots of ques and post pics--think that u may be getting in over ur head

good luck

Comment

Ever heard of no hub?
              Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Is it a job for someone that never did it----no--u must not be in service--if u were u would understand

Comment

thank you for the response this not my first experince with sewer pipe i spent a little time in the plumbing trade i never encountered lead soil pipe going into cast iron
                  thanks again

Comment

If you can handle it--post a pic--we will help ya-- i said what i did b/c ive seen diy nightmares--if u have some plumbing experience AND ARE CONFIDENT-post and we will help

Comment

Is this an old lead closet bend?? Is it directly under the toilet?
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

here are the pics you requested
                        Attached Files

Comment

i posted a pic it is lead and it is under the toilet but it goes into cast iron 90

Comment

looks like a lead bend a plumber that knows what he is doing can fix that without replacing it. Otherwise if you are intent on doing it yourself just drill/melt out the lead int eh hub of the quarter bend and put the abs in with a gasket. it is a pretty easy job and very doable for a DIYer with basic tools experience. On the hub of the cast look to see if it says XH, if it does you will need an exta heavy gasket, make sure that the hub is good and clean on the inside or else to gasket wont seat whe you put it in. Lub up the abs with "duck butter" or soap and send her home. Make suer the pipe is seated well before you go to far you are looking at about 4 or 5 hours of work but as long as you have the confidence you should be able to do it!
                            Last edited by wrench spinner; 08-25-2008, 08:47 AM.

Comment

wrench spinner, thank you for the help.it is XH
                              it should be a fun day

Comment

Working...
                              X