X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squealing pipes

As i mentioned in a previous post, i have recently moved into a rural home on 2 acres.

The water enters from a well, and then through a pressure tank, a sediment filter, a softener, a UV filter, and then off to the house. In the kitchen, it enters a Reverse Osmosis system with a dedicated faucet.

The problem we are having is that we have a squealing pipe somewhere. I am trying to locate it, and it doesn't seem to matter which faucet or toilet is used. When we are finished using the faucet/toilet/etc and the the water is "refilling", we sometimes get a noisy high pitched squeal. It seems to happen more frequently from the dedicated RO faucet, though this may be because we use this faucet more frequently than the others.

Any suggestions on how to locate/solve the issue?

thanks!
    Last edited by franklin pug; 08-26-2008, 02:06 PM. Reason: clarification

Re: squealing pipes

Get yourself a piece of hose several feet long such as garden hose or clear PVC tubing. Then you can hold one end near one ear and probe things with the other end. It's like having a super directional ear.

My bet is you have a chattering washer in a valve somewhere but this is only a good guess. With water flowing and the screeching noise, try closing and opening any main shutoff valves starting at your water pump, storage tank and then move along the main cold line. Use the hose and keep the ear end out several inches so you don't blast yourself. Also keep the open end a few inches away from valves and pipes. As you progress try making contact with valves.

The old hose listening device trick works well for finding strange machinery noises. It should help with plumbing too.

Do be sure to close and then re-open valves while the screeching is going on.
    Last edited by Woussko; 08-26-2008, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by franklin pug View Post
      As i mentioned in a previous post, i have recently moved into a rural home on 2 acres.

The water enters from a well, and then through a pressure tank, a sediment filter, a softener, a UV filter, and then off to the house. In the kitchen, it enters a Reverse Osmosis system with a dedicated faucet.

The problem we are having is that we have a squealing pipe somewhere. I am trying to locate it, and it doesn't seem to matter which faucet or toilet is used. When we are finished using the faucet/toilet/etc and the the water is "refilling", we sometimes get a noisy high pitched squeal. It seems to happen more frequently from the dedicated RO faucet, though this may be because we use this faucet more frequently than the others.

Any suggestions on how to locate/solve the issue?

thanks!
      A couple questions: When you say "refilling" are you refering to the toilet tank refilling, or is the water pump running and bringing it back up to pressure?
      You might try shutting off the RO supply, then run faucets to see if the noise is still there. At least eliminate that.
      Does your pump run continuously when the water runs? If so, is it the newer style that's designed to run that way with a small bladder tank, or is it the older style tank that is more like a 40 gallon tank?
      sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

the pressure tank automatically cuts out at 60psi - its a smaller tank, and only about 3 years old.

When i say "refilling", i mean when the toilet tank is refilling for example. I really meant when i was finished using a faucet, etc. and then turned it off.

Comment

Could be the RO membrane. As stated, shutoff water to it and see what happens.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
          X