Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Replacing pressure reducing valve

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
    I thought you were a pencil-pushing engineer now?

Just because you put a gold toilet in an outhouse isnt it still an outhouse?

Comment

Sorry if I seem to dissagree with the lot of you . Being relatively new to the forum I should probably just keep my comments to myself sometimes but I cant help but wonder why have a section on the forum called ASK THE PLUMBING EXPERT if the only answer a person is going to hear is call a plumber. I know that most plumbing issues are out of the realm of most homeowners ability to repair and if they try the repair themselves and screw it up they will call a professional anyways. I also agree that a plumber should make a good living doing his trade as most people do not do their jobs for nothing. And $250 is a reasonable price for replacing a pressure reducing valve. But is it not the point of this section of the forum to give advice to anyone asking about a task the proper way to do it ?
      I know that a homeowner should never attemp certain jobs such as a water heater for example but something like a PRV which you can usually handle with the same model PRV,a couple of wrenches, teflon tape and a little know how should not be that difficult for the average homeowner if given some good advice. Most PRVs are set by the factory to be within certain tolerances and rarely have I seen any in my area that have needed adjusting after installation.
      Sorry if I have offended anyone on the forum I just felt that I had to say something in defense of what I felt was the true meaning of this part of the forum. Otherwise this part of the forum should be renamed ASK THE PLUMBING EXPERT TO TELL YOU TO JUST CALL A PLUMBER

Comment

What if the PRV is 50' under the house, sweated in, on the meter side of the shutoff. See it all the time.

So now the customer has to know how to shutoff the meter. (If they are allowed too!) The tool to do so. They need copper cutters, torch, flux, etc. and the ability to sweat. Plus they need the physical ability to drag all of this stuff 50' underneath ductwork and over pipes. Then, when they can't sweat they have to spend $250.00 to get it done right. And there stuck with the tools they bought. I think we've all seen the P.O.S Superior pipe cutters of the DIY when called in to put the world back together.

On the other hand, if unioned at the crawlspace door with a working shutoff, maybe one could handle it.

And you're right, it is the "Ask" section which maybe all plumbers on the forum should maybe lighten up on. But sometimes it's a fine line where they have to error on the side of safety.

Scenario: "Members of the jury, the experts on the Plumbing Forum said I could handle the job. I touched the hot pipe while working on it and got third degree burns. Not one of the experts recommendations mentioned the temperature it would get too or how long it retained heat. That's why I'm seeking damages of $$$$$$."

Sound crazy? We all know better.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by ridgidpipe View Post
          Sorry if I seem to dissagree with the lot of you . Being relatively new to the forum I should probably just keep my comments to myself sometimes but I cant help but wonder why have a section on the forum called ASK THE PLUMBING EXPERT if the only answer a person is going to hear is call a plumber. I know that most plumbing issues are out of the realm of most homeowners ability to repair and if they try the repair themselves and screw it up they will call a professional anyways. I also agree that a plumber should make a good living doing his trade as most people do not do their jobs for nothing. And $250 is a reasonable price for replacing a pressure reducing valve. But is it not the point of this section of the forum to give advice to anyone asking about a task the proper way to do it ?
          I know that a homeowner should never attemp certain jobs such as a water heater for example but something like a PRV which you can usually handle with the same model PRV,a couple of wrenches, teflon tape and a little know how should not be that difficult for the average homeowner if given some good advice. Most PRVs are set by the factory to be within certain tolerances and rarely have I seen any in my area that have needed adjusting after installation.
          Sorry if I have offended anyone on the forum I just felt that I had to say something in defense of what I felt was the true meaning of this part of the forum. Otherwise this part of the forum should be renamed ASK THE PLUMBING EXPERT TO TELL YOU TO JUST CALL A PLUMBER
          Go ahead and give advice. Give detailed advice, thats what this forum is for. I was responding to the homeowner's "I can't afford it" attitude. I was giving financial management advice.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

the person is gone anyways....

Comment

Ya ,that 50 ft' deep trench caved in on the poor ba$terd
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                What if the PRV is 50' under the house, sweated in, on the meter side of the shutoff. See it all the time.

So now the customer has to know how to shutoff the meter. (If they are allowed too!) The tool to do so. They need copper cutters, torch, flux, etc. and the ability to sweat. Plus they need the physical ability to drag all of this stuff 50' underneath ductwork and over pipes. Then, when they can't sweat they have to spend $250.00 to get it done right. And there stuck with the tools they bought. I think we've all seen the P.O.S Superior pipe cutters of the DIY when called in to put the world back together.

On the other hand, if unioned at the crawlspace door with a working shutoff, maybe one could handle it.

And you're right, it is the "Ask" section which maybe all plumbers on the forum should maybe lighten up on. But sometimes it's a fine line where they have to error on the side of safety.

Scenario: "Members of the jury, the experts on the Plumbing Forum said I could handle the job. I touched the hot pipe while working on it and got third degree burns. Not one of the experts recommendations mentioned the temperature it would get too or how long it retained heat. That's why I'm seeking damages of $$$$$$."

Sound crazy? We all know better.

J.C.
                I agree with you almost completely its just the poster never actually had a chance to post pics or even decribe what his problem even was with the PRV before everyone started bashing him and told him that only a professional plumber could handle the situation where as for all we know it could have been something as simple as breaking apart a union on the PRV untreading the PRV from the other end and threading on a new one but now we will probably never know
                As far as solder joints before the meter I have seen them also but around here it is not allowed by the water companies you need treaded, flared, or compression fittings and ball or gate valves before the meter and the PRV after the meter with another shutoff valve after the meter also which is what I usually run into in my area. To be fair though I have done many meter changeouts which were inproperly installed as you said you see all the time.
                I also agree with you on fixes that need to be done by professionals because of safty or liability reasons ( water heaters as one example )( or recommending doing drain cleaning using clobber ). Pressure reducing valves might be tricky some of the times but I would have liked to have heard more about the problem first before making any kind of recomendations to the homeowner who posted the question.
                Lastly I beleive that the reason Ridgid has a disclaimer on the forum is to prevent your Scenario from happening.
                Thanx JC for all your post I enjoy debating sometimes so please dont take anything I say the wrong way.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                  Go ahead and give advice. Give detailed advice, thats what this forum is for. I was responding to the homeowner's "I can't afford it" attitude. I was giving financial management advice.
                  Yes I know what you mean Carl . I hear it all the time from people living in 4 bathroom homes with a Hummer and a Lexis in their driveway while talking to me from their yacht on Lake Erie.
                  But I also hear it from the poor guy living in a shack who just found out he has cancer and has no insurance because he just lost his job.
                  Most of the times though it is just what sadly seems to be the average homeowner out there who is maxed out out credit and living beyond their means.

Comment

Originally posted by ridgidpipe View Post
                    I agree with you almost completely its just the poster never actually had a chance to post pics or even decribe what his problem even was with the PRV before everyone started bashing him and told him that only a professional plumber could handle the situation where as for all we know it could have been something as simple as breaking apart a union on the PRV untreading the PRV from the other end and threading on a new one but now we will probably never know
                    As far as solder joints before the meter I have seen them also but around here it is not allowed by the water companies you need treaded, flared, or compression fittings and ball or gate valves before the meter and the PRV after the meter with another shutoff valve after the meter also which is what I usually run into in my area. To be fair though I have done many meter changeouts which were inproperly installed as you said you see all the time.
                    I also agree with you on fixes that need to be done by professionals because of safty or liability reasons ( water heaters as one example )( or recommending doing drain cleaning using clobber ). Pressure reducing valves might be tricky some of the times but I would have liked to have heard more about the problem first before making any kind of recomendations to the homeowner who posted the question.
                    Lastly I beleive that the reason Ridgid has a disclaimer on the forum is to prevent your Scenario from happening.
                    Thanx JC for all your post I enjoy debating sometimes so please dont take anything I say the wrong way.
                    I don't think anyone has a problem with you sharing your opinion. If they do, then #$%^ them anyway for being dogmatic. My original post questioning if she/he was a plumber was to try to get a response with more info as to there abilities. The post didn't really have enough info for anyone to give an answer really. Sure, someone who can turn a wrench, isolate with valves or drain pipes could do it. If you have to ask though, I doubt it would be a straightforward job. Maybe it has a union, maybe not. They didn't stick around long enough to find out. Probably went to the Terry Love site, got told 'no problem', and dove in.
                    sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

What is it with youz guyz?

The thread started off OK, someone asking how difficult the task might be.

The first response was to ask for more information so we (forum members)could evaluate the existing condition and give an intelligent answer.

After that the two camps started spit-balling each other and have probably scared off the OP.

You've (both sides) shown that you can't even get past the initial question w/o an arguing. How do you deal with your customers questions that spring from a lack of knowledge of the trade? They (most of them) are only trying to understand where their money is going.

You b1tch when a person asks about your fees, saying they should take it or leave it. What do you do when you go to buy a new truck? Do you take the first price the salesman gives you accepting it as the best you will be able to get anywhere? I'll bet you don't. You negotiate or you shop elsewhere. How is it different when a HO calls and asks for a price to replace a PRV (in this instance) or unclog a drain in their home? None that I can see except it is YOU on the other side of the negotiating table now and you're not liking it when someone wants to try to get a better price for the desired service.

You call them cheap, are YOU being cheap when you try to get the truck salesmen to knock another grand off that new rig? He doesn't need to retire or put any money away for his kids college like you do right? So he should take a cut in his commission because you are doing him a favor just by showing up there to buy a truck from him right?

I don't think so. And yes, I try to work the best deal I can on a truck or car too, as well as parts I buy for the place I work, and the contractors whom I contract with to do work for us. I get at least three price quotes that are based on the scope of the job. Then compare the bids to see if they are responsive bids. Since it is private work I don't have to go with the lowest bidder. I never give bid numbers of bidders out to any other bidder or even suggest anything along those lines. You name your price and I'll (along with others on the project team) name our choice after examining the numbers. Those that don't want a shot at the work don't bid, it's pretty easy and painless.

Why is it a HO is not able (or at least in the eyes of many of you being cheap) to make the same informed decision on how to spend their money?

Yes, some of them are trying to feel you out and get you to do their engineering for them.
                      "Let me think about it and I'll get back to you. Oh, by the way could you let me hold on to those sketches you made and could I see your material list?"

Yeah, right. Dream on. Should I leave my tools here too?
                      It happens all the time. The A/E or Design Team will dump their responsibilities on the Primes, GCs and Primes do it to their subs, and on and on. It's part of the contracting world. You live with it or get out.

Give an honest price or just tell them you are too busy or not interested, whichever you think will hurt your reputation the least.

As far as the "Ask the Experts" section of the forum goes, I'm not implying my knowledge is better or equal to any of yours. But if you don't want to give an intelligent response then don't bother. And I consider the advice of "hire a plumber" as an intellgent response(I have made it myself many times) , IF it is based in fact somewhere along the line. In this case it would seem we barely have enough information to know what the problem is.

---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I charge less than $250 to replace a PRV in most situations. I am almost postive the OP could get a better deal by asking around town. As far as 'diy', I don't give plumbing advice to people who have no idea what they are doing. The OP probably doesn't even own a pipe wrench, based on the simplicity of the question.
                        Many other people have posted intelligent questions here in "ask the experts" and we have participated giving advice. But when a person comes on here and asks questions which clearly demonstrates they have no idea what they are doing....well, this is what happens. Get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by maureen693 View Post
                          I was told I need to replace the PRV is this something I can do myself? I called a plumber and they want over $250 I can't afford that.
                          Just reading this question tells me a lot...where to begin. Hmmm, does she even know what PRV is? It doesn't sound like it.

Comment

her correct post would have been:

Hi my name is Jane, I recently have been having problems with water pressure. A plumber I called stated I needed a new PRV over the phone without even looking at the situation. What is PRV, what does it do and what should my next step be? Is this a project I can do myself, I have basic hand tools and I feel comfortable doing minor repairs around the house.

Comment

i agree w/ sguy---someone pops on here and asks such a basic ques and says plumber said prv-250 $$------if asked better, she would have gotten a better response -- im sure the plumber would accept 2 payments or 3---we do it for current customers so they dont try to do it themself and then pay alot to have me rescue them--there are things howners can touch, and alot more they should leave up to us--ill walk anyone through a faucet repair--but something on the homes main---NO WAY--how do u know she even knows which way to shut off valves???what if they put too much pressure on the main and broke it and flooded home--what if they cut the copper and find out the gate does not close--do they know what to do????no--theres too many things that could go wrong with working on the main---its for plumbers--arent we supposed to keep each other in business????--

yes this is ask the plumber, so should we tell everyone how to do everything we do?????do u want all ur customers doing their own plumbing from now on???there are things only plumbers should do---there are some things any mechanically inclined person can do--id rather not find my neighbors hot water tank laying on my couch b/c some plumber tried to walk them through a job they cant see , and they forgot to open a valve b/c they were trying to get more advise--NO THANKS

MY SON NEEDS BRACES--MAYBE ILL LOOK FOR AN ORTHO FORUM AND SEE IF THEY TELL ME HOW TO DO IT MYSELF--IT WILL SAVE ME $$, ILL JUST TELL HIM I CANT AFFORD IT-----WHY WOULDNT THEY TELL ME IF THEY HAVE AN ASK THE ORTHODONTIST SECTION????THEY MAKE ENOUGH $$-I WONT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE

Comment

I could not agree with you more about the way the post was written Carl. The poster didnt give enough information about the problem and shouldnt have insulted our proffession for trying to make a living. I was just wanting to find out more about her situation before making any suggestions or comments.

Comment

Working...
                                X