X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing pressure reducing valve

I was told I need to replace the PRV is this something I can do myself? I called a plumber and they want over $250 I can't afford that.

Re: Replacing pressure reducing valve

That question depends upon a lot of things:

1. Are you mechanically inclined... i.e. do you know which way to turn the wrench to loosen it
    2. Is there a valve before the PRV? If so do you know if it is a ball valve, globe valve or gate valve.
    3. Do you have room to work around this?
    4. Are there unions on each side of the PRV? Or at least one side.
    5. Can you post a picture so we can see if there are extenuating circumstances
    6. Do you have an expansion tank installed on your domestic water line?
    7. Do you know how to solder if you need to.

If you answer no to any of these questions you probably need to call in a plumber.

Comment

Originally posted by maureen693 View Post
      I was told I need to replace the PRV is this something I can do myself? I called a plumber and they want over $250 I can't afford that.
      Are you a plumber?
      sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Mr. Spinner pretty well summed up the issues. If you could post a pic, we could tell you if it is a simple job with a couple of wrenches, or if it needs some fittings soldered.

One thing that will make it easier is if the brand and model you have is still available.

Comment

If you can afford a house, you should be able to afford to maintain it.

$250 is not a lot of money to safely replace a key component of your plumbing system.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

What can you afford? Your bio say's you are a merchant? How much do you discount your merechandise?

No changing a PRV is not something that the average home owner diy'er can or should tackle.

$ 250.00 is a very reasonable price since 1/2 of that cost is the valve itself.
            sigpic

Comment

Good gosh

This poor person is getting pummeled!
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Some people really can't afford good services and I don't have an answer to help them. They need something done correctly, we deserve to be paid what the trade demands.

The ones that really piss me off is when they say they can't afford something but they have a 50" LCD on the wall and only a 2 yr. old car. (Mines 22. )

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  The ones that really piss me off is when they say they can't afford something but they have a 50" LCD on the wall and only a 2 yr. old car. (Mines 22. )
                  After blowing all that money on a TV and Car, they really can't afford it. (j/k)

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    Some people really can't afford good services and I don't have an answer to help them. They need something done correctly, we deserve to be paid what the trade demands.

J.C.
                    Sad thing is I have seen that way too many times. Especially young homeowners. About 6 months ago, some very young couple was complaining to me that they could not afford the $200-300 in repairs they needed. They had two new cars in the driveway and stacks of new dvds, nice computer, etc.

Its not my fault that they can't handle money...probably maxed out their credit to get all that stuff. Sadly, the whole credit crisis that started this recession was started because people nowdays spend more than they make...

Comment

You called a plumber to get a price of 250------think about it 4 one minute---if this was something u could handle, why call a plumber in the first place----hire a plumber---if not done properly, you could open up a world of problems---if the incoming pressure is very high, and you screw with the setting, you can cause serious damage to fixtures in ur home, especially so if the piping is old and on its last leg---u called a plumber 4 a reason---its not something u should be doing

spend 250 to fix it---------or spend possibly thousands 4 water damage, fixture damage-----what sounds better

hey guys, do u think painters or carpenters get calls by diy ers asking if they could build the deck they imagine or paint the cedar shingled house by themself????or is it just our joy??????

Comment

I just want to clarify my post. I was trying to show the homeowner how much was involved in tackling the job in the first place. I wasnt trying to tell them how to do it. I just want you guys to know this I am STILL on your side

Comment

Give all the advice you want. Its a relatively easy job....for an expert plumber anyway.

Comment

TRUE Carl.... true... still it is work for one of our brothers out there!

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                              TRUE Carl.... true... still it is work for one of our brothers out there!
                              I thought you were a pencil-pushing engineer now?

Comment

Working...
                              X