gasoila and yellow tape

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: gasoila and yellow tape

The entire scope of work on this huge job ... is installing the generator.That's the whole kaboodle.
    Iv'e cut and thread miles of pipe. This job requires one 20' stick cut in half. If you think all there is to plumbing is dope and tape.. I know better.
    I am not a plumber. I can install pipe correctly. Was the Gasoila wrong?Was the tape wrong?
    Believe me I know when I'm over my head. I use several different plumbing contractors often as subs.
    So why ask you guys?
    I'm on the site looking for part numbers for dies, I see the forum, here we are.

I do appreciate the time you took to respond to my question.

Comment

To answer you, the tape was not needed.
      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        I honestly don't know, this is why I'm asking.

Who is licensed to run piping for diesel fuel? I've never had too.

J.C.
        Some states do not require a license for mechanical work. But that is likely to change soon in NJ.

"technically it would be an operating engineers job,"

Not until it is in operation, and then only that part which is on the skid. An OE or Oiler can maintain,
        adjust, and make repairs to fuel lines, but installation does not fall under their jurisdiction.
        Any installation, testing, or repair of any piping from a bulk storage or a day tank would be fitters work.

Yes, nobody is gonna care if it's less than 10 feet say of pipe but the rule is is the contractor should still contact the union hall (the discussion is centered around which trade would do this right) and advise them of the work. They decide if they wish to wave this particular job, or send out a man for one day, which I would doubt for a foot or two of pipe.
        Last edited by Bob D.; 08-28-2008, 08:40 PM.
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Bet He knows enough,to ream pipe !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I would think electricians would be pretty religious about that. Burrs on the inside of your conduit would spell trouble.
            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

You're right Bob,some of the Young plumbers arn't reaming, I'm told
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Hello there, I have done my fair share of diesel fuel piping on back up generators. I have always used Black Permatex on all threads. As for whose work it is in the union world it the operating engineers after the valve train and the steamfitters work from the tank to the day tank to the valve train. At the time of start up there are operating engineer, electricians and fitters onsite.

Comment

Working...
                X