X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 inch pipe wrench

Applied a 48 inch aluminum straight pipe wrench to a 4 inch shaft.
    Normal torque required to turn shaft 85ft lbs
    Applied weight of 400 lbs to end and shaft would not turn.

Applied 1 1/2 ton come along to end of wrench, hand tightened with knob only.

How many cranks until the handle snaps off the wrench?

Just how much torque is a 48 inch aluminum straight pipe wrench rated for?

Re: 48 inch pipe wrench

Don't know. But I think you should change your sign in name.

J.C.

Comment

Maryland, eh?
      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Actually I did not DO the stunt, I witnessed it in stunned silence as the handle flew past(within inch) of the person cranking the comealong.
        And the head of the wrench bounced on the floor at his formans feet.

Comment

A screen name such as 'safetyfirst' and your talking about attaching come alongs to 48" pipe wrenches, and having them break.

A bit hypocritical wouldn't ya say?
          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Wow. I've used 5 foot breaker bars before, but a come-along? Nowadays I've learned to use a grinder to cut off the fittings instead of killing myself like that, but I never had one so tight that it broke the wrench.
            sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Hypocratical maybe but it gets attention don't it!

And as I said I didn't do it I just saw it, and then wondered what the torque rating might be, so I came to the website of the manufacturer.

In all the description of the tools there aren't any torque or shear specs.

Comment

I went right to the Ridgid tool site, but did not find torque specs listed for the pipe wrenches. Perhaps this question can be answered on one of the other sections of the forum. We are all anxious to know!

Comment

Patience grasshopper..... Knowing Josh this will be fowarded to the appropriate party and an answer will be had soon

Comment

the wrenches are designed so that 1 person of any strength can not damage or bend them.

everything is in proportion to the size of the jaws.

what they should of used is a compound wrench.

this applies approx 7 to 1 leverage and 1 man now becomes as strong as 7

the s-4a, s-6a, or s-8a would have been the proper choice. the s-6a has the same jaw capacity (6'') as the 48'' alum. wrench.

so all wrenches are built to handle anything 1 man can apply.

p.s. don't try to turn this wrench in for lifetime warranty credit. we all know the truth now

but a picture or 2 would make us think twice about cheating

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Back some time ago PROTO had heavy duty pipe wrenches with forged steel handles. They did static load testing showing their handles would bend rather than bust off. I can't find the info now but as I remember it took several tons of force applied near the end of 14 inch pipe wrench handles to bust or bend the good ones. The junk grade Chinese pipe wrenches which were cast iron similar to pots would bust easy. While tools should never be abused if you just have to get totally wild with pipe wrenches please save the aluminum handle ones. They are not intended for more than what a big strong man can apply.

Maybe ProBrand can post some about RIDGID's torture tests of pipe wrenches. I'm sure they have tested samples of each model to the breaking point.

Comment

Somewhere in here is a post about a guy who used the bucket of his loader to apply force to the 48" pipe wrench. I suppose that counts as a cheater bar too. I've got a Ridgid 36" AL pipe wrench and have never had to use a cheater bar. I too like the idea of cutting off fittings with a 4.5 inch angle grinder. The cutting action and the resulting heat usually end up in the fitting practically falling off when you get down to the end. I always have the skinny cutoff discs along with my 4.5 inch angle grinder -- I never leave home without it.
                        Cheers,
                        Jim Don

Comment

I didnt think I posted about it but I have, unless you ahve a torque Multiplier it is the easiest way to break loose the Nuts on the end of hydraulic cylinders, they need a coule thousand foot pounds of torque to loosen them up. Nothing happened to the wrench, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Just be extra careful!

Comment

I do know for a fact that Ridgid's big chain wrench is stronger than 3000 psi. We had to break a bit off a collar (waterwell) but didn't have the right backoff wrench so we used the chain wrench and it worked fine with no damage to the handle.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

seeing how an alumminimunmununmun wrench costs about 20 bucks per inch.
                              if you two guys worked for me. at the end of the day, you would have been looking for another job. your an idiot
                              i said it i meant it and i'am here to represent it
                              sigpic
                              30+ years as a plumber
                              6 years in the Air Force

Comment

Working...
                              X