X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbing Soft Water Bypass Valve?

Converting from external tank service to Fleck TwinFlo dual tank soft water system with stainless bypass (3/4 outboard FNPTs). Manual doesn't specify teflon or pipe compound, but a couple internet sites which sell Fleck recommend pipe compound specifically for the bypass joints. So I used Oatey Pipe Joint Compound on copper males, tightened with bypass in vice, then sweated in the service lines. Both joints are weeping...ugh.

So heres my question for you guys - whats the recommended way to seal a stainless female to a copper male? TIA.

ps...I considered using sharkbites on the service lines adjacent to the bypass, which would allow me to tighten the bypass fittings post install. After reading the comments here decided against it.
    Last edited by 70runner; 09-01-2008, 01:43 PM.

Re: Plumbing Soft Water Bypass Valve?

Teflon tape with a layer of Mega-loc pipe dope.
    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

How many teflon wraps? Would Rectorseal work ok for dope? Thx

Comment

When using teflon tape, I skip the first thread so it actually starts when you you go to thread it on, and wrap it so each layer covers 1/2 if the previous pass, and go alil pass the last thread. Wrap it in a clockwise direction, the same way you'll be tightening it, other wise you'll just un-wrap it as you tighten it up.

I perfer Mega-Loc hands down, it can be used on just about everything, and cleans up easliy. Rector Seal depending on which one is usually a 'rough' pipe dope, to me at least.

I would use it on clean outs plugs and such, but not on a water treatment system.
        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

[quote=Aaron91;170537]When using teflon tape, I skip the first thread so it actually starts when you you go to thread it on, and wrap it so each layer covers 1/2 if the previous pass, and go alil pass the last thread. I]

Funny how every one has there own things. I start with the first thread, and keep it there. With 1/2" tape, two or three wraps (more on bigger sizes) with teflon dope. When you're done tightening it in, it looks a lot better, the tape doesn't show so much and the seal is in the first couple threads anyway.
          sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Slic-tite with teflon tape will do the trick. Depending on your situation a softner can interrupt the house ground, use a bond or build a bypass tee with copper pipe and brass ballvalves.

wookie

Comment

Good point on the ground. House was originally plumbed for external softwater tank. Since I'm just replacing external with internal tanks, hopefully ground circuit will be unaffected...but I'll check it out.

I was browsing at HD and found some nice 16" length 3/4 flexible copper lines with FIPT at both ends - for hot water tanks. Connected to bypass valve with short brass nipples. Used pink (water) tape with Rectorseal #2 for nipple to bypass. The hot water lines have internal rubber seals, so I just snugged them up to the nipple. On source line I used the same nipple between the flex copper and pressure reg. Advantage of this arrangement (besides not having to cut EXACT copper lines) is I can tighten all joints if necessary.

Not necessary tho - no leaks, weeps, or temper tantrums

Comment

nevermind I blew up the picture
                Last edited by wrench spinner; 09-03-2008, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X