Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help ME before I RIP my head off!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Please help ME before I RIP my head off!!!!

Originally posted by fixitmom5x View Post
    Service Guy, please accept my apology. I did not intend to be insulting. There are great knoweledgable plumbers that do not rip people off. There are people though in every profession that will tell those who they think are unknoweledgable that repairs are needed that are not, and in the past I have had experiences like that, so I have started teaching myself to fix things.

I did not ask anyone to teach me how to use an auger, how to lift a toilet, or how to do any of the work I did, I asked for help to figure out what was wrong. Once it got past what I knew how to do, I asked for advise on how to find a good plumber.

I did not call 2 plumbers for free advice. I called the first one to come fix my toilet. He asked me a few questions, and told me I needed to call the city, but I wasn't sure because I called the city in between and they told me an alarm would have gone off if my sewer was backed up, so I called another plumber who told me sometimes the alarm doesn't go off, and to call them back so I did.

Plumb Crazy please don't make me out to be a person that takes advantage of people. I only came to this forum for advise because it was titled Ask the Experts, so I did. I initially came here because the auger I bought advertised this website. I only asked for what was offered which was expert advise from plumbing experts.

If this was not offered, I would not have created the original post.

I don't understand why people choose to create conflict instead of resolve.

Thanks for that!

You have a good heart, and I understand your leeriness of calling complete strangers to work on your house and possibly charge for things you might not understand. It can be scary.
    One thing that we at ridgid forum recommend is to find a local plumber you can trust BEFORE you have an emergency. Call around, or get a referral from a neighbor or someone from church or whatever. Maybe one of the nice folks that pointed you to the city. Get their business card, put it on the fridge, and when something like this comes up, you won't have to be at the mercy of complete strangers. I just got back from helping a couple with a night-time emergency. Their shower valve is 60 years old and I was able to get it to stop leaking temporarily but tomorrow I am going back to replace the whole thing behind the tile. I told her I would waive tonight's charge since they agreed to do the bigger job tomorrow. I am always trying to help people, even while I make my living.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

forums are to help others when they need help and like she said this is in ask the plumbing experts so if you have a problem with this then you need to talk to josh about this and tell rigid to change all there packages so it does not give this web site to come to for advice

like i said before if you dont want to help

but out and dont respond
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

and Caryn do come back if you need other help
        some people here do like to help others for free
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
          "Where does the power for the pump come from, your circuit breaker panel? See if the breaker is tripped."

We (as a group) were not listening and filtering out all the CR*P that was keeping us from diagnosing the problem.

Case in point; this statement was made early on but didn't seem to register with too many people here.

"My sewer and water company has a box outside to do something with the septic system should there be clogging. Should I call them?"

In a world where everyone was out to prove their way was best, grab their trusty (and somewhat rusty) snake, and ride to the rescue.

-and-

Meanwhile, those that were not interested in solving the problem for whatever reason continued to distract those trying to help by various means.

Is this déj* vu all over again (as Yogi would say)?

Could be, but it didn't have to be.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi (in this case reading)
          Yep. I maybe should have got more info too. I'm pretty ignorant at the electrical code but I do know that here the alarm is required to be on a separate circuit.That's what threw me. And if it's on the private side the property owner "owns" the maintenance also. Glad you got it working.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
            forums are to help others when they need help and like she said this is in ask the plumbing experts so if you have a problem with this then you need to talk to josh about this and tell rigid to change all there packages so it does not give this web site to come to for advice

like i said before if you dont want to help

but out and dont respond
            I did help, I told her to call a plumber....she did and then got advice from them to call the city which resolved the issue.

So...
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Once again anyone who feels giving advice to none plumbers is improper please don't open threads in the "Ask the Plumbing Experts" forum. This forum is strictly for asking for advice and if that offends you you should stay out of the thread. At times each one of us have saved money by being a DIY whether that be mowing our lawns or changing the oil in our vehicle. I personally would refrain (and have) from giving advise which I felt could result in a life-safety issue. However, not giving advice and berating those who do are two different issues.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                Once again anyone who feels giving advice to none plumbers is improper please don't open threads in the "Ask the Plumbing Experts" forum. This forum is strictly for asking for advice and if that offends you you should stay out of the thread. At times each one of us have saved money by being a DIY whether that be mowing our lawns or changing the oil in our vehicle. I personally would refrain (and have) from giving advise which I felt could result in a life-safety issue. However, not giving advice and berating those who do are two different issues.

Mark
                Just...can't....help....it. Please.....forgive......me
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

You all are my heros!!! Thank you. I have enjoyed your kindness, and if any of you should need any advice from me, I am happy to advise you Caryn

Comment

I'm glad all is ok Caryn.
                    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

I like helping others. I have given advice to DIY'ers on how to take care of things themselves. But also, in my opinion, sometimes the advice to give is to call a professional. I will continue to do both. Occasionally a regular pro or homeowner will disagree if you give either. Then, what should be a 15 post resolution turns into a 150 post debate.

If you go to the "Ask" section with the main intention to only tell people to call a professional, then maybe that's wrong. But if there are 10 in a row asking how to run gas pipe, solder, etc. What do you do?

The "Ask" section is good for the Forum. Keeps your troubleshooting skills sharp and brings some good suggestions. And even some debates that you may not like but you still get something from.

All professionals have to be careful though about "overinforming". We'd all feel bad if someone were damaged physically or financially.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        I like helping others. I have given advice to DIY'ers on how to take care of things themselves. But also, in my opinion, sometimes the advice to give is to call a professional. I will continue to do both. Occasionally a regular pro or homeowner will disagree if you give either. Then, what should be a 15 post resolution turns into a 150 post debate.

If you go to the "Ask" section with the main intention to only tell people to call a professional, then maybe that's wrong. But if there are 10 in a row asking how to run gas pipe, solder, etc. What do you do?

The "Ask" section is good for the Forum. Keeps your troubleshooting skills sharp and brings some good suggestions. And even some debates that you may not like but you still get something from.

All professionals have to be careful though about "overinforming". We'd all feel bad if someone were damaged physically or financially.

J.C.
                        I'm with ya all the way brother. For me the help part came to an end when we found out it was less than a year old. We already had ruled out the toilets themselves as the problem by then. And I've learned a few things already in these things too, such as that new filter which apparently we don't have here yet.
                        sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Cayrn,with 5 kids and 3 toilets,You'll be back ,and welcome .We love apple pie!
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I am back. I can't help but to now keep checking back to see the follow up posts.

You all are a good bunch of guys, with the exception of the lady who wanted to make mince meat of me earlier.

I have another question. This is covered by my warranty, it must be, but the builder has not returned my call from last week yet. One of my showers is cold when it is turned on, but then it gets really hot, and I cannot adjust the temperature to make it cooler so I went and reset the water heater, but that did not help. Is this a diy job, or does my builder need to have someone come fix it?

I am fully loaded aren't I?

Comment

Originally posted by fixitmom5x View Post
                              I am back. I can't help but to now keep checking back to see the follow up posts.

You all are a good bunch of guys, with the exception of the lady who wanted to make mince meat of me earlier.

I have another question. This is covered by my warranty, it must be, but the builder has not returned my call from last week yet. One of my showers is cold when it is turned on, but then it gets really hot, and I cannot adjust the temperature to make it cooler so I went and reset the water heater, but that did not help. Is this a diy job, or does my builder need to have someone come fix it?

I am fully loaded aren't I?

Whether it is Delta or Moen, there's a pressure balancing cartridge that's either incorrectly set on the temp range or the cartridge has dirt/debri in the balancing spool that's not allowing proper operation.
                              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Why do I get the feeling I'm not the only one member here that needs therapy.

Comment

Working...
                                X