Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP sewer/drain issue - smell and toilet flushing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: HELP sewer/drain issue - smell and toilet flushing

    Originally posted by tinmack View Post
    I think you're getting sarcasm is because most pros here aren't interested in giving free advice to some guy who just pops onto the forum for free info and then leaves.

    A long winded discussion just petered out on another thread that could have been avoided if the homeowner had just made one call to the city.
    Well I'm a first time lurker but then again I'm not a plumber so I'm not sure how I would contribute to this forum after coming in to get some friendly advice. As someone else pointed out in the thread below your post this is a forum for home owners to ask the plumbing experts and not to discuss shop talk among each others (the other forum).

    I called the city and they won't come out unless the sewers are backing up right at the moment and the last excuse I got was to check that the cleanout isn't pooling with water first. So basically they are pointing me to a plumber. I just wanted some pointers to diagnose it myself and possibly save some money since I just moved in a few months ago and low on cash right now.


    Originally posted by tinmack View Post
    Maybe that's all you need to do. Maybe a short question on a specific problem would get a better response, but it seems like you want a whole-house diagnostic for free.
    I wasn't looking for a whole house diagnosis but to point me in the right direction where a problem could be so please forgive my ignorance. I'm not a plumber and that's what I thought the purpose of this forum was.


    Originally posted by tinmack View Post
    In your case, considering you just bought the place in July, I'd be going after the home inspector who checked out your place before you bought.....assuming this is what you did.
    Well the inspector did say that he can't see through walls but did not look at the floor drains. I may ask him about this. Thanks for the suggestion.

    Originally posted by tinmack View Post
    Don't get me wrong, there's really helpful people on this forum. Then again, who wants to sit at a computer and answer some stranger's plumbing questions for free.
    Well this is the nature of the Interweb after all.

    Originally posted by tinmack View Post
    Your house inpection should have turned up some potential problems. Get someone in to check things out - you may have some recourse legally if problems weren't disclosed from the previous owner/noticed by the house inspector.
    Yes, I will look into this... I may be able to have some recourse if permits were not used for downstairs but upstairs plumbing only... someone suggested my title insurance.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: HELP sewer/drain issue - smell and toilet flushing

      Originally posted by Dairylander View Post
      You guys are brutal.
      I can't count how many times a homeowner's question has been criticized for being too vague. This guy writes in and is over-explicit and you roast him for that too?

      Tinmack, advice to homeowners is exactly what this section is most used for. The professional exchange you're referring to occurs in the next section down, called: Professional Plumbing Discussion

      Thanks Dairylander... that's how I saw it too. As I said, I'm not a plumber so how much could I contribute to the "Ask the Plumbing Experts" sub-forum except to ask a question:

      Ask the Plumbing Experts
      Have a question for the Professionals. Want some advice about a situation. This is the place for you.

      Professional Plumbing Discussion
      Plumbers Forum: If you are not a pro or on your way to becoming a professional tradesman please use the "Ask the Plumbing Experts" Section


      Not trying to troll here but just get some helpful answers.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: HELP sewer/drain issue - smell and toilet flushing

        Bolmsted,
        Welcome to the forum by the way if nobody's said that yet. As far as help goes, if you need help with electrical some day, don't be afraid to come on down to the electrical part of this forum and ask. Guys on there are very friendly and ready to help. They will give you the caveat though that sometimes you will need to hire an electrician cause a mistake in that field can be deadly and there are few second chances. With that said, if you have a question, go there or send me a PM if you're afraid of flak. I'll see what I can do. I just walked somebody thru the installation of a feeder on a different forum.
        Cheers,
        Jim Don

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: HELP sewer/drain issue - smell and toilet flushing

          Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
          You have a partial drain clog in your main line that needs to be cleared.


          Once you get that task taken care of, you need to smoke test that system and determine where all the leaks are inside your house.


          Smoke will show up where the cracks/leaks are in your system and it's very possible that the wax ring is leaking gas but not water.
          I agree.Let us know how it turned out.
          Kenneth Collier
          Maintenance and Sewer

          P.O. Box 9441
          Jackson, MS 39206
          (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
          drainman881999@yahoo.com

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: HELP sewer/drain issue - smell and toilet flushing

            I'm afraid I had to skim, too.

            Please understand that the people posting here, the professional plumbers, have no relationship to this site except that they come here to exchange information. Ridgid does not pay us to provide information. It would have helped if you had kept your post a bit tighter and asked fewer questions on the first post.

            That said, here are some thoughts:

            If you indeed have a mixture of clay, PVC, and cast iron, the clay is the weak link. Clay has a tendency to crack just because it's brittle and as it ages it gets soft. It should never have been used inside the foundation.

            You cannot shim a rocking toilet without resetting it. Any toilet that rocks will break its seal, and once that happens, putting shims under it only makes it worse. You CAN shim appropriately when resetting.

            Be careful what you pour in drains. Chlorine gas can kill you or severely damage your lungs, especially if there is gas leaking from the drains somewhere (as in 'you can smell it').

            If you smell sewer coming from the drain in front of the washer, the drain probably needs to be capped. Chlorine gas isn't the only threat - methane and other gases produced in sewer can be colorless, odorless, toxic and explosive.

            If the "drain stuff" from Home Depot contains sulphuric acid, I can only say that plumbing shops refuse to sell it to someone who is not a professional, and that it is extremely dangerous to skin and eyes as well as anything it comes in contact with and the container needs to be very carefully disposed of. You should not even touch the bottle with your bare hands. It can react violently with substances in the drain and come right back out at you when you pour it in. Most people who professionally clean drains will have a surcharge for any drain with drain cleaner in it, and must be warned before they put a cable or other machinery into a drain.

            It would be foolish for you to pick up a 25' drain snake, as I told a previous poster, because it's just a toy. It is designed for only very small and short drains and will be more work than it's worth. It will do nothing to clear a clog in a large drain except to tie itself in a knot.

            It's possible that you have a partial blockage, as you seem to hope, or broken drainline or maybe kids dropped rocks or toys into your so-called "open-air vent." Plumbing differs all over the country and here many of the things you describe do not exist.

            Chances are that you are overcomplicating the problem. Personally, I think your best bet would be to ask a number of people around you who they might recommend that is reasonable and good at what they do and then hire them to look over your problems. I know that you're short on money, and while sympathizing with you, I have to say that you may easily waste a lot of money on useless options while the best option goes ignored.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: HELP sewer/drain issue - smell and toilet flushing

              Originally posted by Herk View Post
              Please understand that the people posting here, the professional plumbers, have no relationship to this site except that they come here to exchange information. Ridgid does not pay us to provide information. It would have helped if you had kept your post a bit tighter and asked fewer questions on the first post.
              Understood and I empathize with your situation too. I just happened to come across the site when searching in google and took a look and thought I would ask my question. As I explored the forum more i saw the Ridgid references and clued in as it isn't really a popular brand here in Canada.


              Originally posted by Herk View Post
              If you indeed have a mixture of clay, PVC, and cast iron, the clay is the weak link. Clay has a tendency to crack just because it's brittle and as it ages it gets soft. It should never have been used inside the foundation.
              Well this house was built 60-70 years, maybe longer so clay was probably the only option at the time. It looks like the clay sewer at the front of the house was lined with plastic previously so maybe the old owner had problems before. I can't do anything about the clay with out digging up the basement and I definately don't want to see that happen.

              Originally posted by Herk View Post
              You cannot shim a rocking toilet without resetting it. Any toilet that rocks will break its seal, and once that happens, putting shims under it only makes it worse. You CAN shim appropriately when resetting.
              well the toilet was just installed as part of the reno and I barely lifted it to put the shim under. I have NOT noticed any smell around this toilet (upstairs) or water leaks so I think I'm okay. The tile floor may have been uneven enough to just fit the shim under. Perhaps the flange is up higher and the wax ring didn't come off. I seem to be okay now but will monitor it and if I have to lift it off and put another wax ring at some point then so be it but it's been close to a month since this. I only mentioned this as I had flushed the toilet a numbr of times which probably caused the drain to overfill at the time (side effect of the flushing) due to the likely partial clog.


              Originally posted by Herk View Post
              Be careful what you pour in drains. Chlorine gas can kill you or severely damage your lungs, especially if there is gas leaking from the drains somewhere (as in 'you can smell it').

              If you smell sewer coming from the drain in front of the washer, the drain probably needs to be capped. Chlorine gas isn't the only threat - methane and other gases produced in sewer can be colorless, odorless, toxic and explosive.

              If the "drain stuff" from Home Depot contains sulphuric acid, I can only say that plumbing shops refuse to sell it to someone who is not a professional, and that it is extremely dangerous to skin and eyes as well as anything it comes in contact with and the container needs to be very carefully disposed of. You should not even touch the bottle with your bare hands. It can react violently with substances in the drain and come right back out at you when you pour it in.
              I heed your warnings and will be careful in the future. The stuff that I have used in the drain and toilet (it says "For toilets..." on the bottle so seems to be toilet safe - I heed the warnings about eating at the porcelin or wax ring - no leaks for the 3-5 uses of the chemical).

              Originally posted by Herk View Post
              Most people who professionally clean drains will have a surcharge for any drain with drain cleaner in it, and must be warned before they put a cable or other machinery into a drain.

              It would be foolish for you to pick up a 25' drain snake, as I told a previous poster, because it's just a toy. It is designed for only very small and short drains and will be more work than it's worth. It will do nothing to clear a clog in a large drain except to tie itself in a knot.
              I'll be calling a plumber that does it all (full service): snaking, see-snaking and pipe work (worst case) in the next couple of days when I can arrange a work from home day. I see some plumbers that mention only doing certain service (maybe they do all things but don't really specialize in roto-rootering, etc or digging trenches).

              In general do plumbers charge more for evenings or weekends? I'm likely to call for a daytime visit if this is the case.

              Originally posted by Herk View Post
              It's possible that you have a partial blockage, as you seem to hope, or broken drainline or maybe kids dropped rocks or toys into your so-called "open-air vent." Plumbing differs all over the country and here many of the things you describe do not exist.
              The more I think about it seems like a partial blockage as the water drops in the drain over time after a lot of water fills the pipes under the floor from the washing machine, dish washer or the tub.

              The previous owners (before the reno-ers took possession) was an old lady (they came to see what was done to the house) so I doubt that any toys were put in the drain unless she had grand kids over.

              The pipe on the left with the mushroom top was coined a "fresh air inlet" by a member on a Canadian forum. The pipe on the right is where the downspout used to be (I understand the city had a program to remove these). I'll have to find a cap for this I guess (places to source? Home Depot or Lowes or have to see a plumbing shop?)




              Originally posted by Herk View Post
              Chances are that you are overcomplicating the problem. Personally, I think your best bet would be to ask a number of people around you who they might recommend that is reasonable and good at what they do and then hire them to look over your problems.
              Sorry I have a tendency to overanalyse things as I'm in IT And I'm a bit of a worry wort, especially after my mom had to have her pipes dug up a while ago with roots in the drain lines of her place and her place is not as old (1970s).

              Originally posted by Herk View Post
              I know that you're short on money, and while sympathizing with you, I have to say that you may easily waste a lot of money on useless options while the best option goes ignored.
              I guess I should have called a plumber earlier but people tend to gravitate towards the cheap solution to see if they can DIY fix it first if it is simple clog rather than call a plumber than can be quite expensive per hour unfortunately. (but we all have bills to pay).


              I'll update once I get a plumber in here and run the laundry machine or dish washer again and see if it drains good. How far down should the water normall be in the drains?

              If the water level rises quite a bit is this a sign of a clog and when the washing machine or dish washer is running should the water level remain low (like 1 foot/12" down or will it have a tendancy to rise to 6" or 3-4" from the top while these machines are running? or should I just see the water trickling as it "goes by" but stay low in the drain? (sorry I never studied this before I had the problem )


              Thanks for your input!
              Last edited by bolmsted; 09-03-2008, 08:51 PM.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: HELP sewer/drain issue - smell and toilet flushing

                Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                What chapter was this? O wait that wasn't a book, that was a post.
                Couldn`t agree with you more Aron, but I also think between reading the other post "PLEASE HELP ME BEFORE I RIP OFF MY HEAD OFF" and this one "HELP SEWER/DRAIN ISSUE, SMELL AND TOILET FLUSH" are pulling our chain and we the plumbing pro`s who are trying to help them are falling for it hook line and sinker on this forum.

                Tony

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: HELP sewer/drain issue - smell and toilet flushing

                  I would start here.

                  "A few weeks ago I started to smell a bit of a sewer smell near the drain when I was down on the floor trying to level the new washer and dryer that I had included in the purchase of the house. The previous owner was the one doing the work on the house and he had a rough in place and I asked for washer and dryer to be installed (taps installed)."

                  Sewer gases usually come from traps that have not been used for awhile, or a fixture that has not been used for awhile. Check before running water. You need to know if the water is gone then figure out how long it will take for it to happen again.
                  If it is a short period of time then you may have a small crack in your trap.

                  "Also about 2-3 weeks ago (about same time I noticed sewer smell) I was trying to stop the upstairs toilet from rocking on the tiles so I was shimming the toilet and lifted up slightly so may have released the seal? Anyway I think I have solved the toilet upstairs rocking issues. At the time I had flushed the toilet a number of times in a row to make sure it was shutting off properly and noticed some sewage come out of the drain(s) downstairs - poop in the laundry drain area and water in the front drain. So perhaps this is a symptom of a blockage somewhere where I put too much water down for the drains to handle so has no where to go? (a dozen flushes to make sure upstairs toilet was shutting off when I was leveling it)
                  "

                  Have a plumber/drain cleaner come out to clear your main line stoppage.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: HELP sewer/drain issue - smell and toilet flushing

                    Originally posted by AFM View Post
                    Couldn`t agree with you more Aron, but I also think between reading the other post "PLEASE HELP ME BEFORE I RIP OFF MY HEAD OFF" and this one "HELP SEWER/DRAIN ISSUE, SMELL AND TOILET FLUSH" are pulling our chain and we the plumbing pro`s who are trying to help them are falling for it hook line and sinker on this forum.

                    Tony
                    I'm not trying to pull anyone's chain but get some advice to find a solution to my plumbing/drain problem. I have no intent of turning this into a 21 page massive thread like the "RIP OFF MY HEAD" posts.

                    If you are not interested in contributing to a forum that is intended to help out homeowners hence the "Ask the Plumbing Experts" then frankly shut up. (If you have nothing good to say, say nothing). I know I'm a newbie here but was looking to see if I could find a home remedy/diagnosis before engaging the experts with some of my troubleshooting steps already done and explain what I've observed.

                    As fixit said, some people have gotten burned by bad plumbing contractors and we need to protect ourselves especially if we don't know anyone in the area to ask for recommended plumbers.

                    I'll stop feeding the trolls now and post back when I have some news or someone has some constructive input that I can respond to further narrow down the problem.


                    Thanks all for the helpful suggestions.
                    Last edited by bolmsted; 09-04-2008, 01:40 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: HELP sewer/drain issue - smell and toilet flushing

                      Its been said already, but from what you describe, you have a partial blockage in the main line. Could be roots, could be years of buildup of grease and sludge, could be a broken pipe that will have to be exposed and repaired. Its not something you can likely clear with homeowner equipment.

                      In my area, few plumbers are drain cleaners, and vice versa. It might be different where you are. Ask whoever you call if they have a jetter and a camera and a locator. A plumber who mostly does installs and dabbles in drain cleaning may improve your drainage, but likely won't have the equipment and knowledge to do a thorough job.

                      Cameraing the line usually costs extra. It is done for a variety of reasons, mostly if the behavior of snake or jetter is such that a deeper problem than a simple clog is indicated. If the person you hire seems competant and feels the need to camera the line, let them and pay the extra.

                      Once the line is clear and draining properly, wait a while and see if the smell problems go away unless an obvious source of sewer gas is seen. If they persist, then address them as a separate issue.

                      Welcome to the forum, sorry for the bashing... there seems to be more of it lately than I feel good about. You will score points if you come back and give us the end of the story.
                      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: HELP sewer/drain issue - smell and toilet flushing

                        Originally posted by bolmsted View Post
                        If you are not interested in contributing to a forum that is intended to help out homeowners hence the "Ask the Plumbing Experts" then frankly shut up. (If you have nothing good to say, say nothing). I know I'm a newbie here but was looking to see if I could find a home remedy/diagnosis before engaging the experts with some of my troubleshooting steps already done and explain what I've observed.
                        Name isn't Frankly. Can I keep posting the obvious until you understand?
                        Last edited by gear junkie; 09-06-2008, 08:11 AM.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: HELP sewer/drain issue - smell and toilet flushing

                          Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                          Its been said already, but from what you describe, you have a partial blockage in the main line. Could be roots, could be years of buildup of grease and sludge, could be a broken pipe that will have to be exposed and repaired. Its not something you can likely clear with homeowner equipment.
                          Thanks. Yes, i will be calling a plumber this week. It seemed to be better this week but noticed the standing water in the floor drains seemed to rise a bit this week. Put some "Drain Care" from Home Depot in the toilet and flushed last night and the standing water dropped down to 10-12" below the floor grade in the trap.

                          Just took a shower this morning and looked again and it is up high again so definitely looks like a slow drain due to a partial clog. I put another bit of "Drain Care" in and flushed to "tide me over" until the week begins as I imagine calling a plumber out on Saturday or Sunday will cost more so I'll try to do this week (Mon or Wednesday, have an on site meeting on Tuesday).

                          It's smelling a bit near the drain now but perhaps this 'Drain Care' will eat away (I think it is an enzyme eater rather than just pure chemicals) at the blockage enough to lower the drain and have the smell go away (I will try and go out side for most of the day).

                          BTW when I was back in Lowes last night looking at the snakes they had it said on the boxes in the display used typically for sinks, tubs, etc and not floor drains so I know to not waste my money and get it power cleaned.

                          Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                          In my area, few plumbers are drain cleaners, and vice versa. It might be different where you are. Ask whoever you call if they have a jetter and a camera and a locator. A plumber who mostly does installs and dabbles in drain cleaning may improve your drainage, but likely won't have the equipment and knowledge to do a thorough job.
                          Yes, there seems to be quite a number that just seem to be either plumbers (pipe work, water heater, etc) or drain cleaning (sewers, drain, camera snaking, etc) from their advertisements but there are some that seem to do both which are bigger joints it would seem.

                          Will do. I'll look for one that has a jetter, camera and locator. I take it that this jetter is the same as the cutters that a roto place would use or do they just push sludge through using water jets? Perhaps they have both then.

                          I was in Lowes last night and briefly explained my symptoms to a pretty knowledgeable guy there (BTW, I find the Lowes guys much better than Home Depot at this since they moved up here to Canada. They must do better screening ) and he thought it was a partial clog as well based on the toilet not flushing after a few times and the standing water level.

                          I asked for any names of local plumbers and he said they generally don't give it out and the ones he or his brother has used previously he wouldn't recommend. When I was at the cashier area, I asked for any personal recommendations and not related to the company and got the name of one that she calls whenever there was a problem and they were one that I was considering calling based on what I saw in the yellow pages (I would rather go by word of mouth than anything)

                          Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                          Cameraing the line usually costs extra. It is done for a variety of reasons, mostly if the behavior of snake or jetter is such that a deeper problem than a simple clog is indicated. If the person you hire seems competant and feels the need to camera the line, let them and pay the extra.
                          Will do.

                          Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                          Once the line is clear and draining properly, wait a while and see if the smell problems go away unless an obvious source of sewer gas is seen. If they persist, then address them as a separate issue.
                          will do. I suspect perhaps that it may not be sewer gas per se (if I'm not coining it properly) but perhaps waste that has been sitting in the drains for a while and hasn't been flushed out as part of the normal water usage pushing it through because of the suspected partial clog. That is, rather than gases building up and being released due to a dry trap, etc (man there's meen so much water going down there in the last month. LOL! ) Perhaps this is the same thing as sewer gases then? Anyway I plan to not find out and get this remedied this week (I was monitoring this past week).

                          Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                          Welcome to the forum, sorry for the bashing... there seems to be more of it lately than I feel good about. You will score points if you come back and give us the end of the story.
                          well such as life on the net. As i said before i'm not trying to troll/spam and just get some advice as to where the problem was before calling in the pros - especially if it was something that I could quickly fix myself but that doesn't appear to be the case.

                          I will report back once all is said and done

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: HELP sewer/drain issue - smell and toilet flushing

                            After reading your last post, I'm not sure if we're the ones to help you. Try googling terry love. Those plumbers there will be able to help you can't the job drain. A clogged floor drain is one of the hardest pipes to unclog due complexity and and design. The best thing I can tell you is that enough drain cleaning chemicals will usually clear the problem right up. Find the ones in the where they put them in a sealed plastic bag. Those seem to work the best.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: HELP sewer/drain issue - smell and toilet flushing

                              Make whoever works on it aware you've been pouring chemicals in it. A face full of that junk is unpleasant.
                              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                UPDATE. joy, joy! - sewer/drain issue - smell and toilet flushing

                                I just wanted to provide an update (and conclusion?) on my situation....

                                I noticed the smell getting stronger in my basement and the water level in my sewer drains rising ever more during the last week with the water draining over a 12-15 hour period just enough to keep it from overflowing but allow me to run the washing machine and dish washer. Got stronger this weekend doing the laundry/dishes so I decided to delay no longer.


                                I booked a call with a local plumbing/drain company on Sunday evening for Monday (today) to look at the sewer line to see if I could have it finally snaked. I figured they might charge more on a weekend. Anyway the company rep asked what my schedule was for tonite (Sunday) and they could send someone over in the next hour to which I asked about costing more on weekends and they said we never charge more for weekend or holiday hours so I said okay.

                                Anyway the drain guy comes out and fishes his snake down my front drain ($195 - yikes but hoped to clear the drain for that (anywhere between $160 and $240 is what I was quoted on the phone)) as it was the closest access point to the street.

                                It turns out that the 'fresh air inlet' was full of material (gravel) and basically useless (it was later found that this pipe wasn't lined up with the pipe further down and had shifted) and hence why he attempted to snake through the front drain as it was the closest exit towards the street. I also found a wooden stake in the floor drain at the front of the house when they drained the the house (I can't believe the threw this junk down the downspout connection).

                                He was able to get the snake out to approx 12'-15' out and then it stopped and he pulled the auger out and saw it had stuck into mud under ground. At this point he figured it was a broken house trap in the ground possibly and asked that to do the see snake (another $180 - ouch! but necessary I guess) to go down and see where the blockage was and use the locator.

                                Well X marks the spot:


                                At this point I didn't really see an option but to fix this as the sewer water was likely draining into the ground due to a leak and hence the slow draining. The mud in the drain was a pretty huge clue.

                                Anyway I asked how quickly this could be fixed and they were able to arrange to come early this morning (Monday) to do the work on short notice. I know I should have potentially interviewed more contractors to look at this and quote me to fix the drain but this company had won numerous consumer choice awards for the last number of years and has a good rep on a consumer board (homestars.com) and I had a recommendation as well and figured if they are good as they claim (with 240+ positive recommendations on the site) that any other company would have costed approximately the same or about and I would have wasted more time (and money scoping possibly, etc) trying to get this fixed (and I didn't have time to waste - no pun intended seriously!)

                                The price seemed reasonable based on my mom having to do the same sort of thing last year and paying more just to excavate (but she replaced to the street due to roots and had a bigger lot outside the city - more piping)


                                Well they proceeded to do the work today and have done an awesome job and wouldn't think twice about using them again. I wish they filled in the pavement (after it settles) but I guess I'll have to call someone else to do this later this year or early next year. (I need to pave the driveway in my private parking area behind my mutual drive so may combine both jobs).

                                It kinda sucks that I had to shell out this kinda cash to fix this right after moving in but I will investigate some of my options about possibly recouping some of this.

                                Anyway it looks like the house trap had broken over time possibly as the concrete joints had turned to sand from what the guy said and as you can see here's the broken pipe they pulled out of the ground. Also the "fresh air inlet" was found to not be sitting properly on this pipe pulled from the ground there so it had shifted while the pipe was in the driveway.



                                As you can see here's the new piping connecting to the house clay pipe and the clay pipe that joins at the wye with the neighbor (under the mutual driveway) under the driveway to go to the city connection.


                                The clay pipes look to be in good shape underground when they did the colonscopy again and no root infiltration, etc and house pipes look good as well so should get some more life from them (and I don't have any big cash to be digging up the floor or my driveway especially if I'm connecting to old city clay). I'm sure this clay will be here long past my time here and will be fine since it is mostly just straight joints and no roots to get into the cracks, etc.

                                Anyway, the new cleanouts are installed to allow me (or my chosen plumber / the city) to go towards the city sewers or inside the house which should make it easy to clear a clog in the future should one occur (hopefully not).


                                They also cut off the downspout connection and put on the cap I bought at Lowes the other day to make it look clean. I have a board down on driveway for now until the soil/rock mixture settles over the next 2-3 weeks and they they will come back and fill it with more rocks so that I can drive on it with no worries. That ground is really soft right now as they wet the soil as they were packing it in but will get hard in the next few weeks from what they said. I'll have to get a paver to come out and fix the driveway late this year or early in the spring (to fix this and my parking pad area).



                                Anyway that's hopefully the conclusion to my story... it has been a long 24 hours (ready to crash!) and 4-5 weeks prior to that trying to figure out the source of the smell (locating traps and trying to cure on my own (filling traps, chemicals to remove clogs, backing up/spitting through floor drain, etc)) and why the basement toilet was not flushing.




                                I can't believe how low the water sits in the floor drain traps now!


                                thanks everyone for their help/input!
                                Last edited by bolmsted; 09-09-2008, 03:34 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X