X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain for dishwasher

I wanted a instant hot water device at the sink so I removed the vent for the dishwasher and hooked the hose to the garbage disposal. Is this ok to do. Will it cause problems later on.

Re: Drain for dishwasher

. Don't think you're talking about the vent but the drainhose. While not preferred by some or maybe allowed in some areas it should be ok. You need to make sure the knockout is "knocked out" in the disposer.

Also, some areas require a vacuum breaker approved connection sitting on top of the sink.

Other areas allow a high looping of the hose where you strap the hose as high as possible in the cabinet.

J.C.

Comment

Pardon me while I hijack this thread with a related question.
      Why would my plumber have connected the dishwasher drain hose into the white plastic drain pipe on the left, when he could have connected it into the disposal on the right that he had just installed?
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dairylander View Post
        Pardon me while I hijack this thread with a related question.
        Why would my plumber have connected the dishwasher drain hose into the white plastic drain pipe on the left, when he could have connected it into the disposal on the right that he had just installed?
        It looks like the waste for the desposer is opisit the dishwasher and
        instead of putting bend in discharge hose he opted to go the straitist
        route and that is OK.

Comment

Around here it's against code to run the D/W drain into the disposal. At least it used to be, not sure with the new IPC we've adopted. It isn't good for the disposal, I can tell you that much. Also if someone leaves a bunch of undigested potato skins or something you may have an issue with the D/w draining! Sink fills up with junk that's no fun to clean.
          sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

if air gap is removed i would put in a "high loop"

Comment

Some states require the air gap. Others, like mine, allow the high loop. I know of no practical code that allows a hose to run into either a tee or disposal without having a high point in the hose beneath the counter or sink.

And every time I see them improperly installed and explain it to the homeowner, they say, "Oh! That explains why we keep having dirty water in the bottom of our dishwasher."

The safest installation is with the air gap. They come in super-cheap models and better quality as well. They prevent drain backups from going into the dishwasher and contaminating your dishes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herk View Post
                Some states require the air gap. Others, like mine, allow the high loop. I know of no practical code that allows a hose to run into either a tee or disposal without having a high point in the hose beneath the counter or sink.

And every time I see them improperly installed and explain it to the homeowner, they say, "Oh! That explains why we keep having dirty water in the bottom of our dishwasher."

The safest installation is with the air gap. They come in super-cheap models and better quality as well. They prevent drain backups from going into the dishwasher and contaminating your dishes.
                i agree a air gap is the best option but if the person is to lazy or cheap to buy a hole saw and drill a hole through the sink or countertop i think a high loop would be the better option rather than running straight into a branch tail phhkkmm nnvvvvvvvvv

Comment

What I ment by strait was tying to curl discharge around to meet the
                  desposer.We do high loops here but an air gap is better.

Comment

Under the UPC you must use an air-gap for your dishwasher. Under the IPC you can eliminate the air-gap but you need to have a loop to the bottom of the drainboard.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

SPECIAL NOTE;
                      IN WASHINGTON STATE YOU ARE UNDER THE
                      U. P. C. WHICH REQUIRES YOU TO HAVE A AIRGAP ON YOUR DISHWASHER TO GARB/DISP.
                      CONNECTION,
                      TO PREVENT POSSIBLE CROSS CONNECTION BETWEEN HOT WATER IN DISHWASHER AND SEWER WATER FROM A CLOGGED SINK DRAIN ! ! !
                      JERRYMAC
                      E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                      CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                      FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                      SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Working...
                      X