Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the legal connection to 5" Asbestos Pipe?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the legal connection to 5" Asbestos Pipe?

On the vertical, going up through an old dilapidated home?

Right now I have existing 4" aluminum that I'm thinking of switching to 3" galvanized, building some type of brace that has a hole through it that is fire safe and pack around this connection with furnace cement.

I can't come up with anything else. This heater I replaced today SUCKED!

Gotta get a drip leg on the gas line and 1/4 turn valve to make my signature "correction" of install so anyone can see that it was done to code.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: What's the legal connection to 5" Asbestos Pipe?

Have you checked with your inspector? They may not allow you to connect a new applicance to that old transite pipe at all. The higher efficiency of today's furnaces causes a problem with proper draft up through the asbestos pipe.

Comment

I don't think it's an approved venting material anymore.
      sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Here, Transite is approved for 2 or more draft diverted appliances. 1 fan and 1 natural doesnt cut it. It still needs to meet the 7 times rule as far as sizing. As for a legal connection, most of the water heater vents just have a 3 inch hole hacked into the side of the Transite. That has always passed for me.

Andy

Comment

For water heaters, they will let you leave the transite. But another common application around here, on house built in the 50's, was the Williams gas wall furnace. If you have to replace one of those, they make you take out the transite and install oval B-vent, all the way through the roof.

Comment

Working...
          X