X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile Home PF shower tub valve assy

I started to remodel the bathroom and ran into a slight problem. The mobile home is circa 1975 with a Price Pfiester three handle valve tub shower valve assy. The hot and cold stems are a model no. 5G-2H/C, and i am not sure what the diverter part no. is. The diverter valve seat is a 17/32 which I replaced as per instructions. Now to the problem. The hot and cold valve stems do not appear to use the same seat configuration. It looks like a copper tube approx. 5/16" dia. that extends from the rear of the valve body to the front face. I am not sure if these are removable as they appear rather thin to be puting a wrench on. The hot water supply one is chipped back about the thicknes of the valve stem rubber seal washer. I am guessing that they are not removable, but may be recut. If so how much can be removed before the stem will not seat. As it is an older Mobile Home replacing the entire valve body assy would be a major PIA. Any help or advice will be welcomed.
    TIA

Re: Mobile Home PF shower tub valve assy

tia, mobile home valves are a different design than the standard p.p. valve.

can you please post a photo or a link to the particular valve you have.

p.p. is very popular out here. problem is i've never worked on a mobile home valve and can't picture your description.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for the response. I will try to post a picture tomorrow. The 5G-2H/c valve stem assy. is approx. 2" in length. With the valve in the full open position, the rubber seal washer is 1" or so recessed within the stem assy. body. The tube that I described projects within the same recess when the stem assy. is fully threaded within the 3-valve body assy. It looks like a cheap non replacable valve seat

Comment

That is an easy valve to repair if you have the right parts. The first thing you need is a seat wrench for that faucet. It takes a 1/4" square bar to get the seats out. I think I got mine at an auto parts store. Then you need the appropriate seats and stems. I do not know if Price Pfister still makes the parts, but I know the Danco company makes them. Here are pictures of what you need.
        Attached Files

Comment

It would appear that the seats are a barrel type and that is why they look like a copper tube ( after 30 years of use they are a little on the thin side ). I am not sure what size they are other than an 18 thread. Hopefully somebody at Danco can sort it out in case I trash them while removing them.

Comment

I use a seat wrench that I made many years ago for the purpose. I worked on a roman tub valve recently with the same kind of stems in a trailer and it worked for those, too.

Comment

Thanks for the pics, thats exactly what they look like. Now if i can only find what size and part no. they are, and a place to order pre Roman era parts.

Thanks

Comment

Sometimes, you can get parts from a trailer house dealer or supply. These are rare, in my experience, in a plumbing supply.

Comment

This was one of my calls I turned down yesterday. Lady said one of the handles blew off shooting water across the room, said she wanted a new faucet.

At 5:00pm, only one place has a replacement, maybe which was Lowe's.

Cheap Sterling mobile home faucet that you couldn't throw across the aisle because it isn't heavy enough.

Anyway, I've never reconnected to PB before and didn't know if sharkbites would make the transition.

I was going to put a 3 handle Delta faucet in but that tub spout wouldn't fly, given it's all in the same plane.

She said there was access on the backside, but she said that cautiously. Told her a few hundred dollars and she freaked.

Told her to call a handyman, somebody that works on mobile homes.

I for one don't like them, and the wages are always suppressed in dealing with them.
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

dunbar, was that the one where the spout and handles are all one piece? If so I have a whole case of them. they are made from the finest quality chinese plastic. cost me about 4 bucks each. Sell them for 75
                    sigpic

Comment

Why does a mobile home faucet differ than any regular faucet? Why can't a regular faucet be installed?
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

gear, if u installed a regular faucet at regular rate, ur bill would be the equiv of a few months rent----thats my experience

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          Why does a mobile home faucet differ than any regular faucet? Why can't a regular faucet be installed?
                          I've never heard of such a thing.
                          Last edited by drtyhands; 09-06-2008, 03:45 PM.

Comment

I have a lot of experience working on mobile homes. Until a couple of years ago, the number of mobile homes in my town outnumbered the number of site built homes. In almost all cases, a normal faucet can swap out a mobile home faucet. The only time you will have a problem is on certain tub/shower valves. Some mobile home tub/shower valves have the hot handle, cold handle, and tub spout all in a line, instead of having the tub spout below the handles. When that happens, the valve is usually to close to the tub to put in a three handle valve and drill a new hole for the tub spout under the valve. In that case, you are stuck putting in the same style mobile home valve.

Comment

Two things that define mobile homes:

1) cheap.
                              2) thin walls.

IIRC, the PP valve for trailers will fit in a 2" stud wall with paneling. It's a lot tougher with the standard model. Whether PP fabricated the valves at a lower price, I don't know.

You'll often find the solid plastic valve for a tub that has everything mounted on the outside of the wall, sort of like a vertically-mounted basin faucet. They sometimes have special fittings to screw onto the back side in the wall that you won't find at a plumbing supply. (And that can be a good thing!)

Comment

Working...
                              X