X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Natural Gas Pressure Regulators

Kdy, Try to understand that it is ok to ask for advice here, but there is a limit of what information a licensed professional should give out to unlicensed individuals. Thus the reasoning that licensing is required for certain work.

Anything having to do with gas can be dangerous to you and others which is one of the reasons that your specific question should not be directly answered.

The professionals on this forum are insulted rightfully so when someone states they want to buy their supplies on their own because they can get them cheaper. This kind of thing is reflective upon them when a customer buys cheaper and then blames the plumber when the item malfunctions.

While the cost seems high; materials, time, travel, labor, accuracy, and expidited service + warranty is all included.

You might get a better bid from another plumber, but when it's all said and done, you won't get a better value by buying your supplies yourself.

And if you disagree, the professionals in this field are not going to be on the same side of the fence with you.

And that's all she wrote, Caryn

Comment

Originally posted by KDYMANIAC View Post
      "some know it all hack"

Look at the thread and figure out who started slinging insults at whom. Looks to me like your master plumber questioned my integrity and had a little fun with "loser" animantion. And now you come out calling me a know it all hack.

Are you that threatened that people want to learn on a public forum? Why do you participate in a forum if you don't want to share information?

This all started with a question to understand what differentiates several different types of gas regulators.

I've stated my intentions all along. If you won't believe that, I can't make you.

I'm sure plenty of do it yourself-ers try to do things poorly informed and blame the sources of their information for their inabilities. It's unfortunate that they have caused some of those of you with the knowledge to withhold it from the rest of us.

I understand that you don't want to give advice in a vacuum. Fine, then say that, it can be done without name calling and belittlement.

Like Jerrymac, I don't understand how you know the cost of the regulator if you don't know which one to buy? Maybe you should have done your research first and then proposed a few choices and maybe then someone, not me, would have helped you along with your choice. It seems that you don't want to pay your plumber for his experience in choosing the CORRECT regulator for your home. Instead of taking your plumber's choice you choose to not use his and ask strangers scattered all over the country from places that may require different regulators then what your local inspectors want. Who's the idiot?

Comment

Originally posted by fixitmom5x View Post
        Kdy, Try to understand that it is ok to ask for advice here, but there is a limit of what information a licensed professional should give out to unlicensed individuals. Thus the reasoning that licensing is required for certain work.

Anything having to do with gas can be dangerous to you and others which is one of the reasons that your specific question should not be directly answered.

The professionals on this forum are insulted rightfully so when someone states they want to buy their supplies on their own because they can get them cheaper. This kind of thing is reflective upon them when a customer buys cheaper and then blames the plumber when the item malfunctions.

While the cost seems high; materials, time, travel, labor, accuracy, and expidited service + warranty is all included.

You might get a better bid from another plumber, but when it's all said and done, you won't get a better value by buying your supplies yourself.

And if you disagree, the professionals in this field are not going to be on the same side of the fence with you.

And that's all she wrote, Caryn
        Hey, thanks Caryn for taking the time to respond thoughtfully to my request. I appreciate the benefit of your insight. Best regards.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
          Like Jerrymac, I don't understand how you know the cost of the regulator if you don't know which one to buy? Maybe you should have done your research first and then proposed a few choices and maybe then someone, not me, would have helped you along with your choice. It seems that you don't want to pay your plumber for his experience in choosing the CORRECT regulator for your home. Instead of taking your plumber's choice you choose to not use his and ask strangers scattered all over the country from places that may require different regulators then what your local inspectors want. Who's the idiot?

Brilliant post Master... and another witty idiot reference. Well said.

Keep in mind that I opened this inquiry with a question about which of five different regulator types would work best for the application I need, not how to install it or where.

But thanks for taking the time to offer your opinion.

Comment

This is no longer a productive discussion it is a pissing match over who was an idiot first. There is nothing else to add to this thread and I ask for everyone to let it die.

Thanks-Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Let me ask you Kdy, If you don't like the responses you are getting, why do you keep coming back?
              If you have a plumber why not just ask him which one is the best one to buy?
              Why would you trust anyone here more than the person doing the work for you?

Comment

Brilliant post Master... and another witty idiot reference. Well said.

Keep in mind that I opened this inquiry with a question about which of five different regulator types would work best for the application I need, not how to install it or where.

But thanks for taking the time to offer your opinion.
                This is why you need to have the installing plumber choose the proper regulator for your installation. HE KNOWS WHICH ONE IS THE RIGHT ONE FOR YOUR AREA. If I were the installing plumber you would have ZERO chance of me installing your supplied regulator. This is not you buying a faucet and me installing it, this is a gas regulator and if you buy the wrong one and I install it and god forbid something goes wrong......gues who is held responsible? Dont look to save a few bucks on anything to do with gas. Peoples lives may be on the line

Comment

Wow, fixitmom5x is SUPERCOOL! Probably the coolest person I remember of all the people who dropped by to ask questions on their plumbing. Thanks for being nice and understanding of us pro plumbers Caryn. EVEN AFTER your plumbing problem is resolved, you still hang around and contribute. Very rare.
                  Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

On another forum, in another galaxy, long, long ago...

I started to notice that regardless what type DIY info was asked, the same type of response came when members refused to post or advised getting a professional.

Though this particular thread is utter common sense to say no..I noticed something in that other forum...regardless what level of difficulty were involved in the task, the person requesting his info would almost always react with indignation, similar to the way you'd expect a paying restaurant customer to react when served a steak cooked the wrong way.

The ingratitude that complete anonymity online grants is depressing.

People will fight, kick and scream when they can't get what they demand.
                    We had to break our backs to learn what we know, and the internet now insists we give it away, or suffer through yet another temper tantrum and be referred as greedy.

And then, despite that all too common first time requests that would never come back to so much as say thank you or let us know how it went...some plumbers insist on turning this trade into a doormatt.

Comment

From now on, like doctors I shall pledge to first, do no harm.
                      sigpic

Comment

I know its a little late, but im really loving the steak analogy NH...I'm gonna have to steal that
                        West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                        Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Thanks, very informative.

I'm buying them for my plumber who wants to charge me three times as much as the plumbing supply house.
                          It makes no sense. How does he know his plumber wants to charge him 3 times as much for the regulator if he doesn't know which regulator to purchase? Did his plumber tell him "I'm going to charge you 3 times as much for all parts?" And if he's going to buy the regulator for his plumber to install, the plumber would have to be ok with this, right? If that's the case then the plumber would tell him which one to get to make sure things are done correctly & safely.

All just sounds made up to try to get answers.

J.C.

Comment

I think, ok I know I hammered the fool pretty hard but damn it I'm sick of diy'ers doing their own gas piping. The guy was an out and out liar. There's no plumber involved at all, otherwise he would have asked him what regulators to use and then the plumber would have told him to screw. He's doing it himself and can't get a straight answer from the supply house. Lately I've just been in a real pissed off mood when it comes to hacks taking food off our tables. We have laws, licenses rules that we all follow and these hacks can by pass the whole system because they never bother to pull a permit or inspect anything. They are almost never prosecuted or fined and they continue to un-do 300+ years of sanitary and safety plumbing practices
                            sigpic

Comment

to ask a question like that. Here. He's looking to agitate.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                                I think, ok I know I hammered the fool pretty hard but damn it I'm sick of diy'ers doing their own gas piping. The guy was an out and out liar. There's no plumber involved at all, otherwise he would have asked him what regulators to use and then the plumber would have told him to screw. He's doing it himself and can't get a straight answer from the supply house. Lately I've just been in a real pissed off mood when it comes to hacks taking food off our tables. We have laws, licenses rules that we all follow and these hacks can by pass the whole system because they never bother to pull a permit or inspect anything. They are almost never prosecuted or fined and they continue to un-do 300+ years of sanitary and safety plumbing practices
                                Wow, New Hamster, if that's hammering, I'm glad you're a plumber not a carpenter, cause you missed the mark. As for foolish, look back at your many, self-serving posts and you will find true foolishness.

Here's a new one for you. You understand plumbing. Sit around a little longer drinking your own bath water. If you know so much, then why are these "hacks" taking food off your table?

But I don't have to tell you that, you already know it, you genius.

Still need that can of R134a?

Comment

Working...
                                X