X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural Gas Pressure Regulators

My gas company is preparing to upgrade the pressure they deliver to my home from 4 oz to 2 lb.

My furnaces require maximum inlet pressures of 10 and 13 in. w.c. (I calculate those pressures to translate to 0.36 and 0.47 psi respectively)

My water heaters require maximum inlet pressure of 1/2 psi.

So, I must have regulator(s) installed to reduce the gas pressure prior to the appliances.

When I look at the various regulator options, I find "lever acting" gas regulators (without downstream overpressure protection), Poppet-type regulators, Straight-thru-Flow regulators, Balanced Flow regulators, and lever-acting line regulators.

My system is entirely black pipe from the meter to the appliances.

What is the best type of regulator to install?

Re: Natural Gas Pressure Regulators

The best one is the one that the gas company installs for you. Without a license you can not mess around with gas piping and regulators.

Remember the number one rule of gas.

Gas goes BOOM
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks, very informative.

I'm buying them for my plumber who wants to charge me three times as much as the plumbing supply house.

Comment

YOUR POSTS DON'T RING QUIET TRUE;

HOW TO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH A SUPPLY HOUSE WOULD CHARGE FOR THIS IF YOU DON'T
        EVEN KNOW THE RIGHT REGULATOR THAT YOU
        NEED,
        NOT TO MENTION NO BODY WILL SELL YOU SUCH GAS EQUIPMENT IF YOU ARE NOT LICENSED TO INSTALL IT,
        IT TAKES A JOURNEYMAN LICENSE OR QUESTAR GAS CO.
        CERTIFICATION TO WORK ON SUCH GAS FIXTURES IN THE STATE OF UTAH
        UTAH LICENSED PLUMBER
        JERRYMAC
        E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
        CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
        FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
        SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Hi, if your plumber is established he should be able to get a better price on the regulator than you. It is the time and labor involved that the plumber charges for. If you feel the price is too high to pay the plumber you should be checking different plumbers, not different regulators. You might find that the price is what it should be based on the various quotes you get, or you might find that you should have a different plumber if you get lower quotes. Good luck.

Comment

Yet another gouging plumber story. He want's to charge you for them because he has to use his gas and wear & tear on his van or truck to go pick up the regulators, install them and then come back and fix them if there is a warranty issue you cheap skate. Why not cut him out all together? Head on down to the cheepo depot and buy a couple gas grill regulators, install them yourself and then wait for the coming explosion.
            sigpic

Comment

Make sure your plumber has a mechanical liscense, than go with his opinion on what to use. If you don't trust him, and you know somebody (apparently) at the local wholesale house, ask them for a referal. Seriously, these guys may have put it rather crudely, but you should
              not mess with this yourself.
              sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

You can make your own regulators with a spring, a tupperware bowl and lid, a balloon, and 2 bulkead fittings. For something this easy I wouldn't hire a plumber either. There are how-to drawings of this online.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                  Yet another gouging plumber story. He want's to charge you for them because he has to use his gas and wear & tear on his van or truck to go pick up the regulators, install them and then come back and fix them if there is a warranty issue you cheap skate. Why not cut him out all together? Head on down to the cheepo depot and buy a couple gas grill regulators, install them yourself and then wait for the coming explosion.

Thanks NHMaster for the suggestions. Keep in mind that you're the one that dubbed this a "gouging plumber story."

If I can buy the same parts at the same suppliers for the same cost that my plumber does and save myself some money and save some of the wear and tear on my plumber's vehicle then I will.

It's too bad you find the need to go on the defensive, call names and try to make up for your own inferiority complexes by trying to belittle others.

If I had the experience to work on gas lines, then I would.

Comment

Originally posted by KDYMANIAC
                    Great animation Jer...and a post packed with sheer genius...not sure how the plumbing world ever got by prior to your entering the business. The condescension in your tone truly adds an additional note of credibility to your post.

Researching the price of pipe fixtures isn't terribly challenging. If more consumers took more of an interest in the work they contract for in their homes and businesses fewer would be surprised by their contractors failing to meet their cost and quality expectations.

As for truth in posting, your inferrences about my motivation as well as your inability to identify correctly who will sell what to whom demonstrate your lack of both knowledge and intuition.
                    Putting all of the other stuff aside this really is a job you want a licensed professional to handle. As others have mentioned the plumber must add his "cost of sale" to everything he does. It is likely the price he is charging you is higher than you may be able to find on your own. Of course a component of this is that your time to research, locate, negotiate and purchase the valves is free to you. Consider also the contractor is factoring the cost of warranting the part should the part fail. If you supply the part and have him install them he gets to charge you for all warranty concerns. In closing if you feel your contractor is taking advantage of you get additional bids. However, without knowing his overhead costs you can't possible comment on the validity of his charges.

Good luck-Mark
                    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 09-05-2008, 04:58 PM.
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Researching the price of pipe fixtures isn't terribly challenging. If more consumers took more of an interest in the work they contract for in their homes and businesses fewer would be surprised by their contractors failing to meet their cost and quality expectations.

Here's the problem I have with this statement. What you find online may or may not be what you need, nor at the price your plumber can get it for. Most items we get at local wholesalers and mark up (40 to 50 % is not unreasonable). Some items we can't get for the price you can get at a Home Depot type store. But they buy for a national chain in huge bulk, and it's not the same item or quality. You can get a lav faucet there, but to get a good quality one made with brass and with a good quality popup (not the cheap plastic junk most of them have) you will be paying a higher price even there. I had someone tell me the other day they expected our price for toilets to be around $60 cause that's what the sale price was he saw at Menards. Of course, I won't sell someone a cheap toilet that's going to give them headaches during it's miserable and probably short life, so I'm giving him a price (installed) of about $250 each. Sounds like gouging to him, but I can't buy a toilet I would use for what he was expecting. And my time and effort is worth something too.

Comment

KDYMANIAC
                        If you don't like your plumbers price, get another bid... or ten.
                        Just remember, gas regulators ain't rocket science... unless its done wrong.
                        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by KDYMANIAC View Post
                          My gas company is preparing to upgrade the pressure they deliver to my home from 4 oz to 2 lb.

My furnaces require maximum inlet pressures of 10 and 13 in. w.c. (I calculate those pressures to translate to 0.36 and 0.47 psi respectively)

My water heaters require maximum inlet pressure of 1/2 psi.

So, I must have regulator(s) installed to reduce the gas pressure prior to the appliances.

When I look at the various regulator options, I find "lever acting" gas regulators (without downstream overpressure protection), Poppet-type regulators, Straight-thru-Flow regulators, Balanced Flow regulators, and lever-acting line regulators.

My system is entirely black pipe from the meter to the appliances.

What is the best type of regulator to install?
                          So why is the gas company raising your house pressure to 2 lbs? Did you get a generator or something?

Comment

Originally posted by boillerman View Post
                            So why is the gas company raising your house pressure to 2 lbs? Did you get a generator or something?
                            Home refueling station for his Natural Gas car?

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by KDYMANIAC View Post
                              Thanks NHMaster for the suggestions. Keep in mind that you're the one that dubbed this a "gouging plumber story."

If I can buy the same parts at the same suppliers for the same cost that my plumber does and save myself some money and save some of the wear and tear on my plumber's vehicle then I will.

It's too bad you find the need to go on the defensive, call names and try to make up for your own inferiority complexes by trying to belittle others.

If I had the experience to work on gas lines, then I would.
                              Why not bring your own G.D. steak to the restaurant and have em cook it for you. Idiot
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X