Back to back Shower valves

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to back Shower valves

Hello, all! Another DIYer hoping not to arouse the troops! I am a long time lurker on this forum as I have been involved in some home repair jobs both for myself and helping friends.

I am looking for a shower valve recommendation as well as a reasonably priced acrylic tub/3 piece surround recommendation.

I am replacing the tubs/tile in a 60's vintage house with 2 tubs back to back (shared wet wall) Currently they have 3 handle washer type valves, that considering their age, I would like to have them replaced with a pressure balanced single handle type valve. I would prefer integral stops as the ones that were tiled into the wall were pretty useless withour access.

I am trying to do these rooms one at a time as much as possible. I will be doing the tub (acrylic) and 3 piece surround installation(direct to studs) myself, as well as the sheetrock repair around the edges. The plumber will do all the in wall stuff. My plumber told us to go to the supply place and pick our valves/trim as well as the tub and surround. He didn't offer much in the way of recommendations. He is a service plumber and does mostly repair work, not remodeling.

The supply house pushes Moen and Delta. At a glance at the Moen rough valves it did not appear that it would work back to back without staggering the height. (too deep) The Delta valves looked shallower and like they might work back to back. The wall is a 2x4 wall. The piping is sweat copper with cast DWV (No hub). What are you guys thoughts on brand/type of valve for this situation?

As far as the tub goes, today I saw aqua glass and it looked great until you touched it. I also saw some sterling that felt a little better. The 2 supply houses we went to had beautiful showrooms, but not much for someone on a budget on display. Naturally, they can order anything, but I hate to drop 750 bucks sight unseen. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance for all your help. I am a machinist by trade as well as a fairly talented mechanical designer. Don't hesitate to ask me anything about those fields. I also know my way around the inside of a computer and the inside of an engine block!

Re: Back to back Shower valves

Nice intro, hope you stick around. I like delta r10000 valve bodies. There is a huge amount of finish trim to complement that series. I don't care for the look of moen but they great customer service. If you install the moen, you'll have an ugly sleeve exposed that really detracts from the look. Delta is seamless and very nice.
    Last edited by gear junkie; 09-06-2008, 07:26 PM. Reason: mislabled valve body
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Delta R10000 valve bodies are nice.

Acrylic tubs are the way to go, sterling offers a hard surface finish.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Gotta agree here, the Delta valve is the way to go. You can back to back em and reverse the cartridge on one so the supply pipes don't have to cross. For 3 pc glass I like Sterling.

See... that was easy. You got an answer or two and still have all your body parts
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the welcome! After some of the recent threads, I was almost afraid to post. I am one of those people considered very handy, but I think my strong suit is that I have the judgement to call in reinforcements when I am out of my comfort zone. I am not afraid to sweat copper, even did my own water softener with my own sweated in bypass instead of the plastic that came with it. But, when it is inside a wall with no access panel, I have the sense to call in someone licensed with lots of practice. I will also let the plumber figure out the drain work completely, as all my experience is with PVC, not cast. On a valve with integral stops, do you guys usually put shutoffs in anyway, or not. The sheetrock in the ceiling below these tubs is rotten and since it is in a closet downstairs, I was thinking of installing a removeable access panel for future drain repair needs down the road instead of just patching after the work is done. Should I go ahead and put some regular shutoffs in the lines down there and get rid of the ones in the wall that are useless after installing the surround anyway.

The Delta valve bodies look like they should fit back to back albeit tightly. The surrounds I have looked at appeared to be about an inch thick, so basically I have 2-3/4 inches to play with. The Delta site shows about 2-3/4" depth from finsihed wall. That doesn't leave much room for a stringer to screw it to. Would I still be better off to have the plumber stagger them height wise? Or can I just screw them together, and strap the pipes to stringers? Or should I just shut up and let the plumber figure it out??

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            Gotta agree here, the Delta valve is the way to go. You can back to back em and reverse the cartridge on one so the supply pipes don't have to cross. For 3 pc glass I like Sterling.

See... that was easy. You got an answer or two and still have all your body parts
            I agree delta is the way to go, especially with the back to back situation

Comment

NHMaster, I see you sig mentions IDGAF syndrome. I have a related condition where when somebody comes to me at work with an emergency I use the term DILLIGAF a lot!

Comment

Wow, this forum is faster than AIM! I love it! I don't even have to worry about the reversing at this point - they did a reverse in the floor and ran separate pipes from below for both of the existing valves when they built the house. That would be a great product for someone to offer, though - a one piece back to back valve with one cold pipe and one hot coming in and cartridges on both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by JTROANOKE View Post
                  NHMaster, I see you sig mentions IDGAF syndrome. I have a related condition where when somebody comes to me at work with an emergency I use the term DILLIGAF a lot!
                  Dilligaf Construction Inc.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X