Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Standing water in bathroom sinks

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
    Can your really put the AC condensate into the DWV system in California? I only ask because everywhere else it is strictloy prohibited for obvious reasons of bacteria ending up on the AC coil and ductwork.
    Yes we can. We can also perform plumbing under a GC license

Bunch of liberal wackos is what we are!
    spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

[QUOTE=spodelee;172643]Yes we can. We can also perform plumbing under a GC license

We do ,and doesn't it burn those East cost arses HE HE
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

We don't have AC here... no need for it. But out of curiosity, if you can't put the condensate into the dwv, what the heck do you drain it into? Do you mean you just can't directly put it in without an air gap?

I see furnace and boiler vent condensate lines run over and dripping into floor drains daily here... they are common culprits for introducing the tiny trickle that freezes sewer services in unnoccupied second homes.

Agree with Rick's answer to OP's original question; your lavs are on a common stack that had a clog in it before it dropped into the next line. The AC condensate has apparently been dropped into that stack, likely into the vent as it comes up thru the attic. Since the drain cleaner immediately went up to look in the attic, I suspect he'd seen that before and it might not be uncommon where you are. Have someone reputable check out the installation to verify it is ok or not ok and fix it if it is not. Your wife noticing it after her shower was a coincidence; the showering had nothing to do with the water in the lavs; she just saw it then because she happened to be in the bathroom and it had recently occurred.

As to preventing reoccurrance, I have no AC experience and cannot comment if algae is a likely culprit, but your drain cleaner seems like he knew what he was doing and you indicate he suspected that. I suspect it was more likely hair going down the lavs.

Chemicals I advise against. I clear many clogs where chemicals have been tried and failed, but I have no idea how many I never see because they have succeeded. I have seen several situations where overuse of chemicals has caused damage. They tend not to bother abs or pvc lines, but will eat metals. Best prevention you can do (in my opinion) is to minimize anything other than water, especially hair, going down your sinks, and run lots of water with the inevitable toothpaste, soap, etc that does go down them.
        Last edited by Ace Sewer; 09-08-2008, 10:00 AM.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by spodelee View Post
          Yes we can. We can also perform plumbing under a GC license

Bunch of liberal wackos is what we are!
          What he said.
          Except I'm the Conservative WACKO.

P.S.
          We also have an emunity to legionella bacteria under the UPC.It can't grow in a Uniform atmosphere.
          Last edited by drtyhands; 09-08-2008, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            What he said.
            Except I'm the Conservative WACKO.

P.S.
            We also have an emunity to legionella bacteria under the UPC.It can't grow in a Uniform atmosphere.
            I heard our legionella emunity is a byproduct of excess sunshine!
            spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Working...
            X