Changing single vanity sink to double

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing single vanity sink to double

Looking for opinions! This one is my home. My significant other wants her own sink! When changing a single bowl vanity to a double bowl, is it better to have plumber open the wall and put in new stub outs, or just plumb it something like a kitchen sink and feed it into the existing stub out. Vanity in question is 66" wide, and the cabinet will be replaced as well as the top, so there shouldn't be any interference problems. other side of wall has the dry end of a tub and a wc so there shouldn't be too much to run into. This house is 20 Y/O with pvc DWV. Hoping to do this without too much drywall damage above the countertop line, as there is wallpaper that I don't feel like stripping at this point, but if it is inevitable, so be it.
    Thanks!
    Jim

Re: Changing single vanity sink to double

Yeah,most of the time the easiest addition to a bath.
    Demo out the cabinet,cut the drywall 2" below the wallpaper(so you can patch)and remove.A qualified plumber should be able to assess your plumbing at that point and get you taken care of.

Oh,by the way.Not every company you call is going to have someone who knows how to do this sent to your house.Not every waste pipe coming out of the floor can have a sink dumped into it,sorry.

If you would like to post some pictures after and tell us what your choice of plumber thinks about your situation we can give you a hand.

ADAM

Comment

Yeah, I guess that is going to be the only way. I hate to cut a huge hole in the drywall to be told to just do it like a kitchen sink! I don't mind patching the drywall if we have actually done something, but I would hate to cut it out for nothing! I guess the main issue would be if there is a vent that would have to be crossed. The wall is not bearing as it runs the same direction as the ceiling joists. It would still be some big holes in the 2x4's to tee the drain inside the wall. When we get to that point, I will evaluate then. My wife is seeing me help a friend redo her bath, and now all of the sudden we need one! You know the deal. By the time the vanity comes out, the plumber will have to be lined up for the next day, as she has little patience.
      Thanks,
      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post

Oh,by the way.Not every company you call is going to have someone who knows how to do this sent to your house.Not every waste pipe coming out of the floor can have a sink dumped into it,sorry.

ADAM
        I only know one plumber in this town. Great guy, but he is a one man band and it always takes 2 weeks to get on his dance card. At least I don't have to worry about the trainee showing up! I even know enough not to let him dump into a vent!

Comment

Originally posted by JTROANOKE View Post
          I only know one plumber in this town. Great guy, but he is a one man band and it always takes 2 weeks to get on his dance card. At least I don't have to worry about the trainee showing up! I even know enough not to let him dump into a vent!
          Take your time,your final product is going to be around for many years.Are you going to have it demo'd for him so he may be able to do it on his first trip.
          Talk to him.
          If he's anything like some of us here he can do it on the spot if he understands what you have in the wall before he gets there.

Comment

When he walks in, he will be looking at studs and pipes, more than likely. Back to my first question, is there any real disadvantage to plumbing both sinks together inside the cabinet, similar to a kitchen sink and using the existing connection? Or any code violation? It certainly would save a lot of aggravation although it may limit the vanity choices. If that would work, I could have the vanity installed by the time the plumber arrived and all he would have to do is hook it all up.

No rush on this one - just future planning. I have 2 bathtub showers to replace for a friend before I can even think about my house. I am so accomodating to the plumber, that a removable access panel will be framed in in the ceiling below for him to do the drains, etc. See my post about back to back tubs. Luckily, they are over a closet, so the panel won't look out of place. I can't even believe that back to back is legal, but I guess in the 60's anything went. At least they used quality parts, since they have lasted this long.
            Last edited by JTROANOKE; 09-08-2008, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X