X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchasing Water Heaters

Picked up a 50 gallon gas water heater from Sears today (Customer paid, I just picked it up) and couldn't get out the door without signing my life away.

Had to fill out a form stating the obvious:

who I am and where I live, what I do

where I'm installing that heater, name and address

This in turn goes down state and put on file.

Of course, this prompted me as I honestly filled it out to go ahead and pull permits on the water heater I installed, and charged the customer for the fee.

The customer is expecting an inspector, well a post card first to find out when they can get in and inspect.

Question:

How "common" is this in your area/hometown? It's rare that I see this happen, anywhere and was kinda miffed that I was entrapped into this today.

I knew that the customer wouldn't hesitate to pay...but I just felt that it was sprung on me when I know many many homeowners haven't filled out that same piece of paper.

I think I looked like a contractor and that's why it happened.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Purchasing Water Heaters

Never happens here....yet. It might be a terrific thing for the trade if the DOI would declare it illegal to purchase a H/W heater without a license.

This I'm sure will bring some huge debate about a mans castle and the plight and rights of the DIY that I don't have the strength for anymore though.

J.C.

Comment

our town's plumbing inspector executes his resposibilities along the same lines. if he sees an old HW heater waiting at the curb for disposal, he checks his permit files. no permit, he slaps a violation on the property.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
        our town's plumbing inspector executes his resposibilities along the same lines. if he sees an old HW heater waiting at the curb for disposal, he checks his permit files. no permit, he slaps a violation on the property.
        The water heater sitting on the curb should be the first red flag, any plumber worth his salt would have taken that so that the homeowner wouldnt have to deal with it, we ALWAYS figured it into our price. The only people that wouldnt are handymen and side jobbers without a place to dispose of it themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Never happens here....yet. It might be a terrific thing for the trade if the DOI would declare it illegal to purchase a H/W heater without a license.

This I'm sure will bring some huge debate about a mans castle and the plight and rights of the DIY that I don't have the strength for anymore though.

J.C.
          What REALLY bothers me JC is that North Carolina is cracking down on us licensed plumbers and fining us for not pulling permits on every single water heater replacement. Yet Lowe's sells a ton every day to homeowners and handymen who get away with installing it without a license at all! That is ridiculous! The licensed guys need babysitting, meanwhile the unlicensed homeowner who installs one themselves has no legal problems (unless god forbid something goes wrong, then there is the no insurance issue).
          Anyway I need to stay out of this section before I start cursing.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

it would be a wise idea to require a checks and balances on water heater purchases.

this would eliminate lots of improper installations and non licensed guys.

out here a residential property owner of 2 or less units/ duplex can pull their own permit.

problem is there are not enough inspectors to go around.

figure it would take 5-15 years to eventually inspect every new heater.

i like it, but i don't see it happening.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Could it be that Sears was just CYA in case a DIYer blew himself up?

Around here you have to pull a permit, but many don't. My town has a scrap metal recycling where any resident can dispose of the old HW heater, no questions asked.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

I make a point of trying not to bring them back to the shop, but I'd rather have them than set them to the curb at a home I just worked at, it looks shoddy.

The city tried to force me to put in a dumpster and I wouldn't stand for it; why should I come home to a dumpster completely full because every idiot in town found an opportunity?

This way when I leave water heaters around the shop, they know the graveyard is of the notion I put them in.

Last two I've done, not that bad in regards to steps. The one I did yesterday I got extremely lucky.

New heater was taller and had to bust a hole in the wall higher, it already had a hole there that was patched.

If it wouldn't of been patched, no way to install that heater as a furnace was less than 2 feet from the flue chase.

Might be doing another one if I get a return call, whoopee

Comment

Originally posted by tchads View Post
                  Could it be that Sears was just CYA in case a DIYer blew himself up?

Probably, but probably somebody that made a habit of not doing that as a regular routine...took them 5 minutes to find the form and that form was the original, had to make a copy. That's why I thought it was BS, including the girl cashier stating FTR that she's never done that before.

Comment

Definately a CYA. I am glad I dont get dinged for water heaters...They are always outside on my curb.

Comment

Dunbar, problem was that you didn't buy the WH. I buy them at the Depot and lowes and when asked just say it is for myself. No paperwork required. If it was for someone else they want to see the permit. Homeowners can do just about anything they want, but contractors have to account for everything. I think the Government just wants thier share of your jobs.
                      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                        The water heater sitting on the curb should be the first red flag, any plumber worth his salt would have taken that so that the homeowner wouldnt have to deal with it, we ALWAYS figured it into our price. The only people that wouldnt are handymen and side jobbers without a place to dispose of it themselves.
                        Not to mention that in some towns in the county (like mine) if you have a contractor do work; they are required to haul away the debris, you aren't allowed to do curbside pickup unless you do the work yourself.

Comment

Working...
                        X