Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pondering the depths of the drip leg

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    upc. 1211.7.3 refer to 1212.7 can't say i've ever done this this is a sediment trap.

the drip leg is upc 1211.7.1 this is required where dry gas is not supplied.

what is the major difference between a drip leg and a sediment trap?

rick.
    I guess you can say it has to do with the reason for installing them.One is for moisture and the other is more for debris. I don't think they have been required in Southern California for 40-years. Sediment traps are still required today in Las Vegas.

mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      I guess you can say it has to do with the reason for installing them.One is for moisture and the other is more for debris. I don't think they have been required in Southern California for 40-years. Sediment traps are still required today in Las Vegas.

mark
      This has always puzzled me--If the drip leg is for moisture and debris, does any one ever empty them? If not, what happens when they fill up?

Comment

nfpa sez min. 3", elevated pressures have them before the regs. dick load devices are not required to have them.

Comment

sediment traps not drip legs, as before mentioned today gas is dry in a bygone era not so dry, 4 inch long nipple is what i use. the thought behind the sediment trap if installed correctly is to capture old pipe flakes, dried up pipe dope that comes loose pieces of left over pipe shavings from threading that got overlooked and left behind and any other foreign debris, the gas blows the debris down into the capped nipple capturing the debris and hopefully protecting the appliance regulator.
          Last edited by aero1; 09-13-2008, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X