• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right and left coupling

What are they? 404.3 IFGC
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Right and left coupling

http://books.google.com/books?id=1SF...um=1&ct=result

this explains it pretty well, better than i could do..

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      What are they? 404.3 IFGC
      Here they are used on gas lines in New York City as they do not allow any unions on gas work. They will also be used on repairs. You may also see them on hot water heating systems especially on a battery of radiators that hang on a wall in a workshop or parking garages.

The nipples have standard threads on one side and left handed threads on the other. Usually most suppliers out of NYC will stock them only in 3-1/2" lengths. They are not usually marked. A left-right coupling is the same, one side standard threads and the other side left handed threads. They are usually marked by having 4 grooves instead of the standard 2 or have a red circle stamped on them. I have also come across a left-right 1-1/4 90* as well but is pretty rare to find nowadays.

Comment

Hah, imagine being a country plumber, being asked to change out an old stove in a three decker in Boston( or any old city) by a family member. No problem you say... till you see strait pipe running into the regulator! No friggin union! thank god I had my wits about me. As I turned the Coupling down stream of the gas cock the two nipples parted way. That was over twenty years ago, and I still get pissed I didn't know about it!
        Mike

Comment

Where did you find those relics?

I have never had to use a R/L Cplg. I have taken plenty out though. I had a bunch in my old house (1904) which had a two pipe Steam system converted over the HW in the 50s. Each radiator in this 3 story home had its own risers off the supply and return loops in the basement. The risers were tied into the mains with a swing joint and a R/L Cplg. In the late 70s they closed off the top two floors and only wanted to heat the first floor. So they cracked the first 90 off the main for the upper floor radiators and capped them off. When I bought the place in early 80s I reconnected all 29 radiators and got the whole place (4700 sf) heated again. I felt like I was keeping oil companies alive all by myself during the winter.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Of course a left to right coupling is worthless without a left to right nipple.

They are used in areas where a union is not allowed. I have installed a ton of them up to and including a 2 1/2" on a water line. They are just another item which is being lost in many areas.

Mark
            Last edited by ToUtahNow; 09-11-2008, 12:27 AM.
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
              Where did you find those relics?

I have never had to use a R/L Cplg. I have taken plenty out though. I had a bunch in my old house (1904) which had a two pipe Steam system converted over the HW in the 50s. Each radiator in this 3 story home had its own risers off the supply and return loops in the basement. The risers were tied into the mains with a swing joint and a R/L Cplg. In the late 70s they closed off the top two floors and only wanted to heat the first floor. So they cracked the first 90 off the main for the upper floor radiators and capped them off. When I bought the place in early 80s I reconnected all 29 radiators and got the whole place (4700 sf) heated again. I felt like I was keeping oil companies alive all by myself during the winter.
              Bob they are readily available here where I live. If you wanted a l/r 90 or various fittings you would have to travel to the Bronx or NYC

Comment

i got a whole box of 3/4'' l&r nipples.

working with a l&r you need to make a dry run to count threads prior to tightening. of course a little play in the pipe is also required to make up.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Illegal here, NO left/right threads period.

Mike can tell ya.

Comment

Mark
                    Not prior to 1965!
                    Mike

Comment

I'm picking up a 1.25" L/R coupling/nipple in the morning along with a 10' section of pipe to move a 34' run to the wall so a welding company can utilize space above their office.

It's going to suck; I put this job off monday and now I'm doing it tomorrow.
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                        Illegal here, NO left/right threads period.

Mike can tell ya.

We can't use unions or companion flanges; too easy for someone to put a wrench to the idea and loosen, or simple vibration that can do it over time.
                        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

No dis-respect to another code, but I've never found a gas union undone by vibration(26 years) not affiliated with internal combustion( witch requires a flexible connector)
                          Mike

Comment

Been using these for Years. No gas unions [ other than at appliances ] Life savers.

BOSTON 3 DECKERS .This old Irishman use to re-build them in the 60s
                            Homes in Arlington and The Cape
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                              Been using these for Years. No gas unions [ other than at appliances ] Life savers.

BOSTON 3 DECKERS .This old Irishman use to re-build them in the 60s
                              Homes in Arlington and The Cape
                              Isnt a flex connector considered a union?

Comment

Working...
                              X