non potable pex tubing in bathroom

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non potable pex tubing in bathroom

A friend had a contractor who used non-potable he pex for the bathroom. The pex is run right up to the valves. Contractor said he called manufacturer and they said it's all the same stuff just not tested/inspected and that it's ok. Is it? He has a small son and is concerned? Thanks

Re: non potable pex tubing in bathroom

Originally posted by NYSEWERMAN View Post
    A friend had a contractor who used non-potable he pex for the bathroom. The pex is run right up to the valves. Contractor said he called manufacturer and they said it's all the same stuff just not tested/inspected and that it's ok. Is it? He has a small son and is concerned? Thanks
    My take is the minimum he should require of the contractor is a letter from the manufacturer stating the PEX is okay as installed. My guess is he will not get it.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Uponor's heat pex, has an oxygen barrier. Because getting products through all the necessary testing and certification costs many thousands of dollars, Uponor decided not to apply for potable water certification for heat pex because logically, it is a more expensive product so who's gonna use it for water piping. Fact is though it is the exact same pipe as the aqua-pex and it has an oxygen barrier. You and your son have absolutly nothing to worry about. There are no harmfull chemicals in the pipe at all. It is in fact a slightly better product that the standard aqua pex.
      sigpic

Comment

Should one use O2 barrier PEX in all radiant systems?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

NHMaster thanks for the info I'll let him know. He and his son can sleep well. Thanks again greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Should one use O2 barrier PEX in all radiant systems?

Thanks.

J.C.
            Yes. Oxygen infiltration through the pipe can and will lead to iron sludge in the boiler and premature failure of pumps and valves.
            sigpic

Comment

Only because I see this stuff all the time, remember when they go to sell the house someone may point out they have non-listed (non-approved)materials installed in their potable water system.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Soooo...... I don't do radiant heat. But I had a customer who was doing his own ask me to help him. I tell him he's in charge of design, I'm just a helper. I do research pipe all the time. I tell him to put in O2 barrier PEX but he says his installer from another town (from where he's moving) says it's not necessary and actually sells him "regular" PEX. He's using a side inlet water heater with a circulating pump with piping in slab.

So just to make it perfectly clear to me-In this application would O2 PEX be preferred/better?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Hey all y'all. I havent posted in a while. I've been busy making hay while the sun shines. When you have winter 7 months of the yr you make the most of the good weather.

Aquapex and Hepex are identical. The only differences is in the cleaning process and Hepex is certified to meet the minimum standard for oxygen permeation. The certification is really just a formality. Aquapex has the same "oxygen barrier" because both are crosslinked PE (PexA)

Hepex is certified to meet the German standard DIN 4726 which is the maximum amount of oxygen permeation permitted for a tubing used for heating. Its not a 100% oxygen barrier. I've used Aquapex in heating systems many times with no ill effects. Wirsbo also makes Mr Pex (pex/al/pex) to compete with Kitec, Q line(Ipex), etc... as being 100% oxygen tight.

As others have said using Hepex in place of Aquapex or vice versa isn't really a concern.
                  You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Where did you get that information? If you examine uponor heat pex you will instantly notice that the outside of the pipe has a coating on it that feels sticky to the touch while aqua-pex does not. The sticky is the oxygen barrier that is applied to the pipe after extrusion. There is definatly a difference between the two and aqua pex used on a heating system is a HUGE no no. The phenomenon of oxygen permeation through plastic pipe is well doucmented.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X