X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing burrs are required?

I have a question for copper tubing flare fitting.

Should I remove burrs or can it be skipped?

When I make copper tubing flare fitting I do not remove burrs but a plumber told me all pipes and tubes have to be removed burrs.

Which is correct and is there any reason for that?

Thank you.

Re: Removing burrs are required?

burrs need to be removed

Comment

You can leave them there if you don't mind the occasional leak.
      sigpic

Comment

Not reaming copper is lazy, and can lead to pin holes ,due to cavitation down the road!
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by khlee815 View Post
          I have a question for copper tubing flare fitting.

Should I remove burrs or can it be skipped?

When I make copper tubing flare fitting I do not remove burrs but a plumber told me all pipes and tubes have to be removed burrs.

Which is correct and is there any reason for that?

Thank you.

i think that some have missed the real question

yes, reaming is required when using a cutter that displaces and doesn't actually create "sawdust". this is required on all connections, except possibly flaring. reasons stated below.

in the process of flaring, the flaring tool will actually force the ridge/ burr back onto itself.

i have a special reamer that does the same thing. it doesn't actually cut/ shave any copper, but it forces the copper back onto itself.

so the real question is? what does the finished product look like? is the burr displaced by the flaring process and is the flare cone clean?

i would think on 1/4'' you might need to ream just to get a good starting point. on larger, i would think that the process will self ream and there will not be a difference between reamed and non reamed copper.

remember this is for a flared connection. not a compression connection which would require reaming.

think about it

rick.
          Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 09-16-2008, 10:30 AM.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Not everyone can afford a 458 or a 345. most other flare tools don't have the offset cone.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              i think that some have missed the real question

yes, reaming is required when using a cutter that displaces and doesn't actually create "sawdust". this is required on all connections, except possibly flaring. reasons stated below.

in the process of flaring, the flaring tool will actually force the ridge/ burr back onto itself.

i have a special reamer that does the same thing. it doesn't actually cut/ shave any copper, but it forces the copper back onto itself.

so the real question is? what does the finished product look like? is the burr displaced by the flaring process and is the flare cone clean?

i would think on 1/4'' you might need to ream just to get a good starting point. on larger, i would think that the process will self ream and there will not be a difference between reamed and non reamed copper.

remember this is for a flared connection. not a compression connection which would require reaming.

think about it

rick.
              that's good
              ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Working...
              X