X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet causes humming/resonating when filling

I have Gerber toilets with the Hoover ballcocks. Lately, one of the toilets causes the pluming to emit a resonance/loud hum when the toilet fills after flushing.

I'm thinking it needs a new plunger in the ballcock valve. Any suggestions?

Re: Toilet causes humming/resonating when filling

Sounds like a fill valve / ballcock issue... you may try adjusting the ballcock arm to apply more pressure to the valve... ( Item #'s 3 and 1 apply force to number 2).

A ballcock (also balltap or fill valve) is a mechanism for filling water tanks, such as those found in flush toilets, while avoiding overflow. It was invented by Thomas Crapper.
    It consists of a valve connected to a float by means of a lever, mounted near the top of the tank. The valve is connected to the incoming water supply, and is opened and closed by the lever which has the float mounted on the end. When the water level has risen to a preset fill line, the float forces the lever to close the valve and shut off the water flow.

The handle has been depressed, beginning the flush cycle.

When a toilet's handle is turned, a flapper valve is pulled upward by means or a rod or chain or gravity. It is designed to sink more slowly than the water, which will exit to the toilet bowl below, so that the tank may empty. As the tank water level drops, the float descends and actuates the fill valve. Water is fed to the tank to replenish its supply, and a smaller flow is directed into the overflow tube to refill the bowl.

The flapper has closed, and the tank refills.

Once the flapper valve closes, the water flow from the fill valve continues until the tank level again reaches the fill line. Should the float or valve fail and allow the water level to exceed the fill line, the water will pour into the overflow tube and out to the bowl.
    These devices are sold at most hardware, plumbing supply, and home improvement stores.
    Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballcock"

Comment

For 20 bucks replace the fill valve and bob's your uncle

Comment

Thats the most complete answer I have seen on this forum, pics,links,and a whole detailed description on how it works. Good job Okie. Can you tell me how to repipe my house? I hope he comes back and tells you how it came out, most don't, its always nice to get a follow-up.
        The Other Rick

Comment

Okie Bill,
          That was Beautiful...I have tears in my eyes.
          Awesome post.
          Great for the homeowners.

Comment

Okiebill getting his SuperPost on!!!

"Okiebill, keeping Hacktown, Ok. running since 19......"

J.C.

Comment

I can't get it to act up anymore in order to see if increasing the pressure of the ballcock arm fixes it.

It seems like the humming starts after the toilet tank fills but again, I need it to act up in order to be sure.

Comment

Did you check the water pressure? Could need a prv, also some time the shut off valve not being open will make a whisling sound

Comment

What is a prv? The only time the humming rears itself is when the half bath toilet is flushed. The other two bathrooms do not cause the noise. I almost think the hum starts AFTER the toilet fills.

Comment

Pressure Reducing Valve. Replace the internals of the original toilet valve or with a comparable total replacement.

If uncomfortable, call a local recommended plumber. He/she will be there for you when you need them most.....like say when relatives are staying with you.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      Pressure Reducing Valve. Replace the internals of the original toilet valve or with a comparable total replacement.

If uncomfortable, call a local recommended plumber. He/she will be there for you when you need them most.....like say when relatives are staying with you.

J.C.
                      I'm not uncomfortable with repairing the problem, I just want to understand what is causing the problem. Is the pressure reducing valve integral to the ballcock?

The strange part is that the toilet hasn't produced the noise in several days.

Comment

No offense, you may be "over engineering" . Thinking too much. It may have corrected itself. (sediment etc. in valve or seal moved just enough)

The PRV is not associated with the toilet fill valve. It reduces pressure for the whole water system.

J.C.

Comment

I don't think it is the prv - if it were that, the other two toilets in the house would make the same noise and they don't - it is just the one toilet that does it so it has to be something specific to that toilet.

I caught it making the noise this morning and removed the tank cover. I then flushed the toilet and it did not make the noise until the last few seconds of the fill. When I manually lifted the float, it stopped and did not make the noise when I released the float.

I'll pick up a rebuild kit for the ballcock and see if that cures it. I just hate throwing parts at a problem.

Comment

just a thought,

are you able to exactly determine where the humming to coming from.

if not, or you can't pinpoint the exact location, keep flushing until it happens again then try and find the exact source of the noise.

stick a screw driver in your ear or get a automotive type stethiscope to do this.

once you locate the exact source, you can pull the screwdriver out of your ear and begin the repair.

make sure you pull the screwdriver out of your ear before beginning any plumbing work. i forgot once and frigg'in tore my ear off.

patience is this repairman's best friend.

GOOD LUCK!!

Comment

I insalled a rebuild kit for the ballcock and braced the supply pipe in the basement and the problem seems to have gone away.

Comment

Working...
                              X