Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with replacing/repairing shower faucet

Hi all,

I'm not too familiar with home stuff, I just moved in a house one month ago.
    I'd like to replace( or repair) my shower/tub faucet. The problem is: missing handle( the previos owner he stucked a screwdriver handle) and when adjusting the temperature the shower start to drip.
    I see lots of different types of shower/tub faucets available. Can I basically replace my faucet with something similar? Ideal is to keep the pipes and valve holder the same and just replace the valve mechanism if it possible.
    Thanks!

Valer
    Attached Files

Re: Help with replacing/repairing shower faucet

Looks like a Old Style Valley shower valve?

Hard to tell. The handle is usually the best indicator of the faucet manufacturer.

Look here:

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/vashosin.html

BTW Valley has been out of business for some time

Good Luck
    Last edited by plumberscrack; 09-18-2008, 10:24 AM.

Comment

You can get new handles. You can replace that cartrigde. You cannot upgrade in any way except by replaceing the valve body inside the wall. This is a challenge for a good plumber through your small access hole. Not something at all for a DIY project. Any way you can come through that back wall, to make access easier ( bigger hole )? If it is just a bedroom closet or whatever, patching a hole in drywall is quite doable.

Comment

a delta / delex handle should fit too.

does the valve drip?

easiest is to replace the needed parts so you can leave the valve body in the wall.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I checked here:
          http://www.plumbingsupply.com/vashosin.html and it looks like a Old Style Valley shower valve for me too.
          Yes I can come through that back wall, it is a bedroom closet.
          Thank you to all the quick and good answers! I was amazed how fast I got the answers!

Valer

Comment

I believe the previous responders have nailed this as a Valley shower. As they are long since out of business, the replacement parts available are limited to just an aftermarket cartridge and seats, and very little handle selection. Someone will have the handle, possibly even someplace like Ace, HD, etc. But no foo-foo options like brushed nickel, etc.
            Refer to valley shower parts in the link given in previous post. The seats item 27 will stop your drip.
            So, new seats will probalby stop your drip. And you can get a handle. But a new valve will be in your future sooner or later.
            Last edited by lovetheUSA; 09-18-2008, 03:21 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Depending on the quality of your water, this valve may not be repairable. Unlike Delta, Valley has no stainless steel inserts that protect the faucet from deteriorating. The sleeves that the rubber seals go into need to be in good condition. If they're pitted away, it won't help to use new parts.

The first thing to do is pull those seals and springs out of the valve body and use a good, bright light to see if they are in good condition. If they are, then you can get replacement parts.

Valley was never a very good faucet. They were copied after the early Deltas and were never improved.

Comment

Come on guys this one is easy, shove an orange handled screwdriver in there and an in line 1/2 inch ball valve in their before the shower head.
                Your plumber should be able to get a new valve body in that hole. I could get a new Delta Monitor valve in that hole.
                ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Working...
                X