X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: sharkbite fittings to soft copper

propress has a 50 year warranty on the fittings

is there any warranty on copper solder fittings

the propress o-ring is the seal. the crimp is what keeps it from pulling apart.
    since there is no circulating water around the o-ring. there is no constant chemicals/ chlorine eating away the o-ring.

from what i recall, victaulic couplings/ fittings have been around since 1925, i don't recall millions of fittings needing changing out. plus there is a whole lot more to go wrong with victaulic than with propress.

for those that don't trust propress. don't use it.

for those that think they can compete with me doing propress and you doing solder, you might want to rethink your numbers

i've got the burns to prove the soldering i've done from 1/4''- 6''.

so far my trigger finger is not worn out from propress

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

since there is no circulating water around the o-ring. there is no constant chemicals/ chlorine eating away the o-ring.

from what i recall, victaulic couplings/ fittings have been around since 1925, i don't recall millions of fittings needing changing out. plus there is a whole lot more to go wrong with victaulic than with propress.

for those that think they can compete with me doing propress and you doing solder, you might want to rethink your numbers

rick.
      I believe it was started during WW I and was at first named the Victory Joint Company.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        I believe it was started during WW1 and was at first named the Victory Joint Company.

Mark
        good research on your part

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

good research on your part

rick.
          Nope just old enough to remember these things.

Mark

NOT
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

rick.
            This is interesting to me. Seriously.

Nibco offers the same 50 year warranty on it's fittings & press tool.

The copper industry offers a 50 year warranty on its product. But you bring up a good point as to whether that covers "field joints". My experience in todays world is that all companies offering a warranty try to get out of it.

Anyway, what's interesting is that Propress & Nibco offer 50 year warranties. But using one might void the 50 year copper warranty. I guess it would make sense for the press fitting makers to warrant the fitting and the copper pipe manufacturer to warrant the pipe separately. But as I said, in my experience both would try to blame the other.

I'll have to keep digging.

J.C.
            Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 09-21-2008, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              This is interesting to me. Seriously.

Nibco offers the same 50 year warranty on it's fittings & press tool.

The copper industry offers a 50 year warranty on its product. But you bring up a good point as to whether that covers "field joints". My experience in todays world is that all companies offering a warranty try to get out of it.

Anyway, what's interesting is that Propress & Nibco offer 50 year warranties. But using one might void the 50 year copper warranty.

I'll have to keep digging.
              remember that propress is the tool and jaws. not the fittings.

the fittings/ warranty that i'm quoting from are viega.

if nibco offers a 50 year warranty too, great.

propress/ pressing is the method of joining these fittings.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick. Yes, I did understand.

Nibco also offers many press valves up to 2" with the "coupling" with the o-ring already attached and Butterfly Valves up to 4" in the same manner if you ever need it.

J.C.

Comment

FlowGuard CPVC cure time for 1/2" is 10 minutes at 40 degrees F.

The cure time for 3/4" is 15 minutes at 40 degrees F.

It's shorter if the temps are warmer.

That's for a 100psi test.

That's using their one step cement. The use of primer and/or hot water can increase cure time.

Corzan has other requirements if I recall correctly.

J.C.

This all works good when you have no possibility of water slowly dripping or passing past your newly put together joint.

Just in the PVC-DWV situation...I've seen contaminated joints on sump pump discharge lines along with regular DWV joints that water slowly destroyed the joint over a period of time because the connection wasn't cured before water came in contact.

In the CPVC situation, I don't trust pressure of any magnitude put against a solvent weld joint that's less than an hour old. I speak from the voice of my liability insurance...

The reason I don't have one solvent weld connection with my name on it in my community. The risk is too great.

On the sharkbites, I've put a few on before where I could not even get them back off even with the removal tool.

That's because the stainless spider clip dug into the outside edges of the pipe and won't release.

I still don't trust a glued joint over a sharkbite.

Look at all the john guest fittings that are used in the same setups.....the takeoff of sharkbites.
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Not familiar with a "John Guest" fitting.

I went to repair a leak where a Sharkbite was installed on copper. The Sharkbite was leaking and the homeowner said it had only been in about a month. I dismantled it and inspected. No damage on the pipe where it was cut to install the coupling. No burrs or external pitting. The interior of the Sharkbite was NOT damaged. Either O-ring on either side. I looked closely.

These things are temporary bandaids to me until you can make a Professional Plumbers repair.

I removed the Sharkbite. Did not replace it with another Sharkbite. Soldered it. That was a year ago.

J.C.

Comment

For the record Dunbar, CPVC connections make me nervous too. I guess it's a control thing. Super rare to see it here.

J.C.

Comment

Not familiar with a "John Guest" fitting.

All the quick connect fittings on r.o. units, water filters and the like are john guest fittings. They were the predessecor to the sharkbite and they look very similar to watts quick connect system.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I went a step further and removed the o ring from the fitting before pressing. Guess what? It leaks.
                          sigpic

Comment

In observation of the corporate trends of some plumbing mfg's, I would not be surprized to see ProPress being sold at HD within the next few years.

Comment

I dont know, I cant imagine a homeowner putting out 1500 for one. Although if the price does come down a lot more plumber will have them. I asked that question a long time ago though.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...light=propress

Originally posted by Ed McKiernan View Post
                              ProPress is a professional-grade product intended for installation by professionals only. While making a crimped connection with ProPress is simple, using ProPress still requires that the user be a knowledgeable professional who knows how to install a quality system. Professionals expect to find ProPress tools and fittings in the distributors that they patronize and, for that reason, we are focusing on "supply houses" exclusively.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim
                                After doing some more "surgery" on a pressed fitting, I can see that it is the pressing of the joint that makes the seal, for the most part. The O-ring is just icing on the cake, so to speak. I have some pressed Viega fittings on 3/4 copper pipe that a rep. gave me as samples. Honestly, I would have no problem in the confidence of this system. Hopefully, I can get a job that would justify the expenditure.
                                jim, the o-ring is what makes the seal. the crimp is what keeps it from pulling apart.

a few years ago the viega fittings were not designed to leak if you forgot to crimp. this posed a problem if you forgot to crimp and the fitting would eventually pull apart.

now they make a small nick in the copper to weep if not crimped.

they can be identified with a green dot on the fitting. (smart connect feature).

rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X