Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: sharkbite fittings to soft copper

Originally posted by AlabamaPlumber1 View Post
    I have heard that sharkbite fittings are not recommended for soft copper.
    But I have seen them lately in several applications.

One other question if possible what is the going rate for PRV change assuming no major issues. Thanks....

Not sure if I am supposed to ask the second question on this site. If not I will refrain from doing it again.
    Really?, But how can you say that?... But maybe you right soft copper are not recommended in sharkbite... But wait try to look in copper sink manufacturer i think you can see their of one kind that can be recommend in sharkbite fittings...

Comment

Soft copper does not always stay perfectly round once you start rolling it out. This prevents the o ring from sealing around the pipe.
      I have used shark bites under mobile homes with polybutelene pipes. So far no issues.

Comment

I use have used sharkbite and Techtite fittings with great results. They are a great option as stated when doing repairs under moblehomes with the polybutylene crap. Also in some cases when the water can't be shut off tight . I use them as a last resort as I believe in soldered and glued joints first and most professional.I have yet to see one fail or leak.
        Last edited by plumb4life; 02-12-2009, 12:25 PM.

Comment

I NEVER make a pb repair above floor ...Only as a last resort !

I run a drop through the floor (mobile Home )

Dave

Comment

Because of the nature of the beast, I warranty none of my polybutylene repairs and I state that clearly on my invoices. I recommend repipes whenever I come accross the garbage! At the school district I have experimented in exposed locations using sharkbite fittings at electric water heaters, trough style drinking fountains, custodian closets, etc. Some are going on 6 years with no signs of leaks. I have come to trust them when I have to use a solderless, glueless, alternative.
            Last edited by plumb4life; 02-12-2009, 08:56 PM.

Comment

here you go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVvcw..._sharkbite.php

Comment

when i think about the sharkbite design, i am also a little leary about the teeth "biting" into the copper tube (pipe). it's hard for me to positively say i don't like them because i've never worked with them.

i can say with confidence that i've never had a problem the ford meter box fittings.

that's all we use up here in ground for the water services and water main saddles. granted, all of our mains (including the sewer) are HDPE.

inside the the buildings we transition to copper for the most part. there is some pex around, but not much.

anyways, i'm not writing this reply to diss other manufacturers about their product.

i'm also not on the ford meter box company's payroll. but i will say, any fitting that can take the abuse that fittings are subjected to up here are tough, especially with the frost heaving and temperature changes from summer to winter.

the thing i like most about these fitting is the locking collar on the compression nut. it fool proof in my opinion.

check this site http://www.fordmeterbox.com/pages/about/history.htm

if it tickles your fancy download the catalogue. seems like they have fitting to meet most needs the members have been describing.

don't be deceived by the name.

Vince

they are a little more pricey, but they work everytime.

Comment

I asked awhile back in a poll what everyone thought the best joint was and the majority (like 90%) said a solder joint. And that included me voting for CPVC just joking.

So with JetSwets etc. why would you make a conscious decision to install an inferior joint just because it's easier?

J.C.

Comment

I know you're right Jim but it's hard to accept. I was at a supply house today and they had them on the counter. I picked it up and looked it over while I was waiting. I'll pick anything up sitting there and look it over for some reason.

The counter guy asked "Want me to get you 10 or so of those?" I told him no that "It didn't feel much like plumbing to me".

He comes back "We sell a ton of them to "plumbers"".

What I think he does not know is his definition of plumbers is all the unlicensed repair guys that work for larger companies that really, really, just don't care for the longterm or what might be best.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      I know you're right Jim but it's hard to accept. I was at a supply house today and they had them on the counter. I picked it up and looked it over while I was waiting. I'll pick anything up sitting there and look it over for some reason.

The counter guy asked "Want me to get you 10 or so of those?" I told him no that "It didn't feel much like plumbing to me".

He comes back "We sell a ton of them to "plumbers"".

What I think he does not know is his definition of plumbers is all the unlicensed repair guys that work for larger companies that really, really, just don't care for the longterm or what might be best.

J.C.
                      J.C., I respect your approach to professionalism, and traditional tried and trued plumbing practices. But remember that when no hub bands replaced bell and spiggot lead joints there were protests from some plumbers also. When ABS and later PVC, came onto the scene again there was some protest in it replacing cast iron. New products will come and go; some will stay and revolutionize an industry, ex. victaulic, propress, pex, etc. How we install them and use them in craftsmanship like manners will show our professionalism to the trade. Thank you for your valued opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by plumb4life View Post
                        J.C., I respect your approach to professionalism, and traditional tried and trued plumbing practices. But remember that when no hub bands replaced bell and spiggot lead joints there were protests from some plumbers also. When ABS and later PVC, came onto the scene again there was some protest in it replacing cast iron. New products will come and go; some will stay and revolutionize an industry, ex. victaulic, propress, pex, etc. How we install them and use them in craftsmanship like manners will show our professionalism to the trade. Thank you for your valued opinion.
                        Respectful opposing view. You're 100% right that change is resisted.

On the evolution of DWV:

This is just my opinion but I don't feel that that no hubs are superior or inferior to traditional lead joints. Kind of a wash. NH's are safer to install & adjust if necessary also.

I asked all the drain cleaners what % PVC or ABS they encountered to clear. About 15% from everyone at the time. So it appears if installed correctly that it is a superior system.

On the evolution of supply systems:

There are many plumbers that will crawl your azz if they catch you not reaming your copper to help against turbulence.

But correct me if I'm wrong but some of these same plumbers that love their ProPress say nothing about the dimples made in the copper made by the tool that can cause premature cavitation & wear. Not to mention that my code (at one time, I need to check behind myself) at one time stated that fittings must be "full bore" even with a cross hatch of the interior. Don't know how they got PEX by it.

PEX has already had 1 system sued and three systems stop production last I checked. Can't say it's all bad as miles have been ran and in use for 20+ years with no problems.

CPVC has its benefits when water chemistry demands it but seems cheap and hackish in all other applications to me. Read about it becoming brittle & cracking but don't have any experience seeing that. But it is more aggravating to repair in my opinion as you have to wait for solvents to weld and the loss of that control feeling over the joint.

Sharkbites. I myself have removed Sharkbites others have installed that were leaking. One I recall did not have anything wrong with the copper it was connecting. No dimples on the pipe anywhere. Smooth, reamed edges. No tears on any part of the interior of the coupling. No lateral pressure on the connection either. And it was spraying.

I do try to embrace new things slowly. What I don't understand is someone that can solder and take a little more time prepping the joint/blocking the water but will just use something like a Sharkbite connector instead if the person believes that a solder joint is superior.

If they believe that a Sharkbite is superior to a solder joint then I guess I don't have a leg to stand on though.

J.C.

Comment

Not superior; separate, yet equal! LOL

Comment

I don't know how much we are supposed to discuss price on here, so I hope I don't step over the line.

A PRV replacement could be a 15 minute job...if the original was a double union model, of a brand and model still available for direct replacement.
                            If one end needs a solder fitting, and possibly some rearrangement of adjacent copper, it could turn into an hour job. If the access to the PRV is poor, then we get into "and up+++".

In my area....SO. Calif.....PRV is right at the front of the house, or in the garage, but cobbled up with some tees and a hose bibb usually, and possilby a branch to lawn sprinklers......I would say a ballpark range would be $350 to $500 ( valve included). But remember that is ballpark, there are a lot of variables.

Comment

one of my service guys uses a Lot of sharkbites, I talked to my boss about this, "was trying to get a propress out of him" and his standpoint is that while the fittings are more expensive than soldered or crimped fittings, we do get to pass the cost along to the customer. Additionally, as I recall the warranty only claims to pay for the fitting itself, but they used a sharkbite PRV that leaked and damaged sheetrock. Cash Acme paid the bill for the repair with no questions asked, fitting, sheetrock/paint etc.
                              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

i used 2 sharkbite 1/2'' ball valves only because there was no way of soldering on new valves in the limited time i had and no space to fit in wrenches for a compression fitting, once in place the water could be turned back on while i finished reconecting the sinks. i would never use these unless necessary wich they seemed to be. take into consideration this was in a restaurant where EVERYTHING needs water, the stoves the fridges the freezers softdrink fountains. the ammount of time it would have taken for the system to bleed dry enough to pack full of bread and solder in place those 2 new valves would have been a major issue. ill take full responsibilty for my work and my finished product i dont want responsibility for a fridge full of dead lobsters. like all "posh" restaurant owners the guy is a millionaire and a cheap bastard. he got the job he barely paid for, if problems arise in the future he is aware they might and accepts that and he will pay to have it fixxed by someone else, friend of a friend but not my friend. im not crawling under his filthy dishwashing sinks again.
                                hot on the left, cold on the right... so hot ladies to the left and cold drinks to the right? lets hope gravity keeps em down all night!

Comment

Working...
                                X