X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sharkbite fittings to soft copper

I have heard that sharkbite fittings are not recommended for soft copper.
    But I have seen them lately in several applications.

One other question if possible what is the going rate for PRV change assuming no major issues. Thanks....

Not sure if I am supposed to ask the second question on this site. If not I will refrain from doing it again.

Re: sharkbite fittings to soft copper

and your a master plumber.....?

Comment

I'll give my answer. No Master Plumber should use a Sharkbite fitting.

And there is no "going rate". Too many factors too even guess.

J.C.

Comment

The going rate is somewhere between $1 and $10,000 depending on your overhead.

Comment

I can beat that hows $0.50 to $9,999.00 sound?
          I think this poster is a spook. 1 post?
          Or was this his first time ever seeing a sharkbite fitting? Hey Home Depot sells them, they must be good.
          Last edited by mtnman1100; 09-20-2008, 01:45 AM.
          ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            I'll give my answer. No Master Plumber should use a Sharkbite fitting.

J.C.
            no? never?

I am nowhere near being a master plumber but i will say that i have used sharkbite fittings several times on service calls. They have taken it down from being a 45 min job to a 10 min job. Customers are very happy with that.

Also I LOVE that you can go from one type to another. I fixed a sink in a mobile home and us a sharkbite with a 1/2" MIP on one side and put the water line on the other in all of 5 min with a braided supply line to the sink.

I'm sure someone will tell me that there is another way, but I thought it was quick and I know that you can't use typical PEX fittings in alot of mobile homes.
            Last edited by writecory; 09-21-2008, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Why are we all so concerned with time.? I know time is money but I can make a lot more money soldering in a fitting than I can in the 5 minutes it takes to slap a shark bite to it.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                Why are we all so concerned with time.? I know time is money but I can make a lot more money soldering in a fitting than I can in the 5 minutes it takes to slap a shark bite to it.
                And along the way, just by chance, give the customer a better performing, more reliable product.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I really hate this hurry up, get in and get out attitude. It makes for sloppy plumbing. If you can bill for the labor than take the time to make it right. If you can't bill for the labor then take the hit and put it down to pride. We end up running around like chickens with our heads cut off trying to fit the most service call in possible. We end up with sloppy work and call backs.
                  sigpic

Comment

i don't necessarily agree with this.

lets say you have a hospital or office complex.

i have a super freeze and can isolate the water so i don't have to shut and drain the entire system.

you have nothing but time and have to shut the entire system.

problem is, the hospital or office can't afford the water being shut off.

same idea with sharkbite.

sharkbite is a poor mans propress.

so basically by investing in new technology, i'm able to get the job done faster with less disruption to others.

every tool that i have, that others don't, is another reason why i get jobs that are referred to me from the others

not everyone can afford a propress. not everyone will have an assortment of pex/ poly transition fittings on their truck or inventory.

sharkbite is a good product to save you and the customer time and money.

i don't think anyone of us will repipe a house in sharkbite. but i do think everyone of us has a need for an emergency sharkbite fitting.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Respectfully disagree Rick.

J.C.

Comment

I have abused the heck out of SharkBite fittings on a test stand and was surprised how well they held up. While I would not recommend them as a permanent fix it seems as an emergency they would do the trick.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Someone explain to me in technical speak how I can transition from CPVC to copper without the use of solvent weld technique,

along with the disallowed use of union-type connections that we know can loosen.

I haven't found anything but a sharkbite that will remove liability from a glued connection that a customer wants the water on immediately.

If I was to place money on a solvent weld connection shortly thereafter contaminated by water AND pressure against a sharkbite?

I'll put the less than 24 sharkbites I have under my wings of liability that one is a safer bet than the other.

IF you've ever used a John Guest fitting on a RO or water filtration, a push connect connection on a Delta faucet or Moen, Price Pfister, you are basically implementing the same standard in the same manner of allowing a water tight connection by means of a O-ring assembly.

We tend to ignore that factoid countless times in our mannerisms of performing daily plumbing tasks, so keep that in mind as we have no control over this in most cases.

I still won't make a constant habit of using sharkbites, would be really scared to use them on soft copper given the physical properties of soft copper and imperfections of roundness.

I used to turn down any jobs associated with CPVC until sharkbites came to town. Can you imagine the lost sales that created? There's more of that piping in homes than before, along with all their associated problems.
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

FlowGuard CPVC cure time for 1/2" is 10 minutes at 40 degrees F.

The cure time for 3/4" is 15 minutes at 40 degrees F.

It's shorter if the temps are warmer.

That's for a 100psi test.

That's using their one step cement. The use of primer and/or hot water can increase cure time.

Corzan has other requirements if I recall correctly.

J.C.
                            Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 09-21-2008, 02:17 PM.

Comment

I've never had any problems with Crestline Goldbond and their one step glue (although it does not pass inspection). I have however seen a lot of the Genova brand get brittle and crack in a short time.

Comment

Working...
                              X