Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 8" Copper

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
    ok, mueller makes 8" copper, list price is 522.82 a foot! so lets see, 100' long run that is $52,282 just for the pipe! Problem is I cant find 8" Victaulic flanges for copper! Whatever they decide I'll make sure to post some pictures. Funny the 8" FJ DIP is probably only half the price and twice the labor! I think I would go with copper, what do you guys think?
    That's a list price if you are looking at the price sheets on their site. You should be able to do better.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
      That's a list price if you are looking at the price sheets on their site. You should be able to do better.
      True If i were to buy it, but I am not the contractor on the job, the supply house sells for wholesale, the plumber gets there little bit of markup, the GC gets their markup, then the CM gets there mark up by the time it trickles down to the client it should be pretty close to list price I would imagine, perhaps even more!

Comment

i want some 8" copper to take to the scrap yard

Comment

Call viega----im sure they can make some 8" propress fitts and have josh run downstairs and get the new 8" rings--xlc

i think ur smart running copper--the di is a pia outside of underground use---

Comment

True If i were to buy it, but I am not the contractor on the job, the supply house sells for wholesale, the plumber gets there little bit of markup, the GC gets their markup, then the CM gets there mark up by the time it trickles down to the client it should be pretty close to list price I would imagine, perhaps even more!
            I agee but I read your original post as though you were looking to buy. I know how all the mark-ups go and profit taking works, I deal with it all the time too.

Comment

I don't know if it meets your code but, 8" schedule 80 pvc would be waaay cheaper. Less labor and material cost. We are allowed to use it in IL and it works quite well.

Comment

Originally posted by ILPlumber View Post
                I don't know if it meets your code but, 8" schedule 80 pvc would be waaay cheaper. Less labor and material cost. We are allowed to use it in IL and it works quite well.
                You are allowed to use PVC for water distribution piping inside a building?

Comment

ok, mueller makes 8" copper, list price is 522.82 a foot! so lets see, 100' long run that is $52,282 just for the pipe! Problem is I cant find 8" Victaulic flanges for copper! Whatever they decide I'll make sure to post some pictures. Funny the 8" FJ DIP is probably only half the price and twice the labor! I think I would go with copper, what do you guys think?
                  No, but there are other fish in the sea, try Gruvlok, one of the Mueller family of companies.

Gruvlok #7012

Comment

I think I would cut the ductile to managable lengths, groove it and put it in, in sections. It's gotta be cheaper than copper.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                      You are allowed to use PVC for water distribution piping inside a building?

I don't but, yes. Cold or tempered water only of course.
                      Just thought I would throw it out there. I'm sure the customer would want to know if there was a cheaper route that was just as good as copper. Sch 80 PVC is good stuff. We use it primarily for process water but, here it is approved for potable. Might be something to check out.
                      Last edited by ILPlumber; 09-21-2008, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Yeah, they make 8" copper, a length(20') cost $4500ish (type L) from what I was told.
                        Last edited by Aaron91; 09-21-2008, 09:01 AM.
                        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
                          just a thought,

how 'bout running 4" x 2 or x3 runs parallel to each other? just wondering.

You would need FOUR of the 4", not TWO, to equate to an 8"

Comment

Originally posted by ILPlumber View Post
                            I totally forgot this but he is right last I checked. You can use PVC for cold water distribution under IPC in NC. Why would it be a bad idea?

J.C.

Comment

Well, Wrench Spinner is under NY rules so different than where I am. I don't work in NY (>200 miles away) so don't pay attention to which code they follow but I know its not the NSPC like NJ.

Here PVC is only good for water service piping up to point of entrance into building. After that, hot or cold, PVC is not allowed.

Rumor is NJ may drop NSPC someday soon, we'll see.

Comment

What's the contraction/expansion tables on 8" SCH80 PVC over a 100' run?

The transition to DI is where the problems would start, especially a cracked flange from stress.

I would hate to know what a 8" main looks like fanning/spraying water in a building.
                                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                                X