Clear All

Re: 8" Copper

Taken from 2007 NY state plumbing code:

TABLE 605.4
    WATER DISTRIBUTION PIPE
    MATERIAL STANDARD
    Brass pipe
    Chlorinated polyvinyl chloride (CPVC) plastic pipe and tubing
    Copper or copper-alloy tubing (Type K, WK, L, WL, M or WM)
    Cross-linked polyethylene (PEX) plastic tubing
    Cross-linked polyethylene/aluminum/cross-linked polyethylene
    (PEX-AL-PEX) pipe
    Galvanized steel pipe
    Polyethylene/AluminumIPolyethylene (PE-AL-PE) composite pipe
    Stainless steel pipe (Type 304/304L)
    Stainless steel pipe (Type 316/316L)

I removed the ASTM numbers for ease of reading. As you can see PVC is not approved in NY state. Please disregard my previous transmissions.

Good luck with the Cu. Takes alot of time. It's a long way around an 8" joint.
    I for one would like to see photos of the completed job. Don't ever see 8" Cu in these parts.

Comment

Originally posted by ILPlumber View Post
      Taken from 2007 NY state plumbing code:

TABLE 605.4
      WATER DISTRIBUTION PIPE
      MATERIAL STANDARD
      Brass pipe
      Chlorinated polyvinyl chloride (CPVC) plastic pipe and tubing
      Copper or copper-alloy tubing (Type K, WK, L, WL, M or WM)
      Cross-linked polyethylene (PEX) plastic tubing
      Cross-linked polyethylene/aluminum/cross-linked polyethylene
      (PEX-AL-PEX) pipe
      Galvanized steel pipe
      Polyethylene/AluminumIPolyethylene (PE-AL-PE) composite pipe
      Stainless steel pipe (Type 304/304L)
      Stainless steel pipe (Type 316/316L)

I removed the ASTM numbers for ease of reading. As you can see PVC is not approved in NY state. Please disregard my previous transmissions.

Good luck with the Cu. Takes alot of time. It's a long way around an 8" joint.
      I for one would like to see photos of the completed job. Don't ever see 8" Cu in these parts.
      You ought to try those 8" PEX crimpers. You gotta' get a running start to bring those handles together.

J.C.

Comment

Also notice ductile is not in the list.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberjr View Post
          Call viega----im sure they can make some 8" propress fitts and have josh run downstairs and get the new 8" rings--xlc

i think ur smart running copper--the di is a pia outside of underground use---
          4" is as large as you can get.I just went through this trying to fix a 20 year old 5" copper coupling that was leaking.
          Rick got me going down the right path with a repair clamp made by Smith Blair.Thing was close to $200.00.Had to have it.Building does not have a bypass settup(YET),so I can't shut the two hundred unit hotel down.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            4" is as large as you can get.I just went through this trying to fix a 20 year old 5" copper coupling that was leaking.
            Rick got me going down the right path with a repair clamp made by Smith Blair.Thing was close to $200.00.Had to have it.Building does not have a bypass settup(YET),so I can't shut the two hundred unit hotel down.

I don't miss those days, but not to that scale.

They had 6" valves leading to 32 unit apartments and were leaking profusely at the valve stems, I had to replace the graphite packing in them. They instantly reduced to 2" out PRV's but the drain-down took hours, the people were effing idiots at all times and I was certainly not set up to these jobs.

The owner of the buildings wouldn't let me purchase material for his jobs as I saw his pricing was better than mine....? I guess with the demand he offered, he was granted cheaper pricing for a reason.

I quit and got away from that type of work when I felt really uncomfortable repairing a toilet flange for an AIDS infected tenant.

Freaked me out something horrible. I despise working in large units like hotels and the like because no one ever knows the mechanical systems most times.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I hear you loud and clear Dunbar.If it wasn't for this building manager being a buddy of mine I would not be working in this atmosphere.
              He knows how to handle creepy humans and their idiosyncracies.Also has a few building techs to do the drain cleaning,toilet/faucet repair/replacement.So it's bearable.

Comment

I spoke with the plumber on this job today, most likely we will be running 8" stainless steel with Vic joints. I just so happens he had a similiar situation on the New Donald Trump Building in White Plains!

Comment

Originally posted by ILPlumber View Post
                  Also notice ductile is not in the list.
                  Ductile is on the List for SERVICE pipe OUTSIDE the building and you are allowed to go up to the Backflow preventer with it!

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                    I just so happens he had a similiar situation on the New Donald Trump Building in White Plains!
                    The city parking garage is across the street, and I passed their ad and I don't remember what they listed for new, but it was absolutely insane.

I wonder how apartments there are doing. In 2006, my Realtor told me he had a few clients who bought like two or three of them to flip and were listing them for crazy prices (they weren't selling for a long time).

No wonder we are in the mess we're in.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                      Ductile is on the List for SERVICE pipe OUTSIDE the building and you are allowed to go up to the Backflow preventer with it!

True. I was just going off the fact you stated it was inside the building!

Comment

The Water MAIN, was just passing an existing building on a HUGE shopping center.

Comment

Man if you put 8" L on that job, the damn crackheads will be coming in stretch limos to cut the stuff out. Armed guard on that job for sure.
                          WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
                          ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Comment

Originally posted by Chauncey View Post
                            Man if you put 8" L on that job, the damn crackheads will be coming in stretch limos to cut the stuff out. Armed guard on that job for sure.
                            'Urban Mining' is what I like to call it.

Andy

Comment

Working...
                            X