8" Copper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8" Copper

OK i have a job where i have an 8" water main going through a building. i am using 8" MJ DIP outside and specd 8" FJ DIP inside. The GC/Client wanted to know if we could use 8" copper insde because tgetting 100' of 8" ductile iron into this basement isnt really very easy to do. My question is has anyone ever seen 8: copper and if so up to what size have you seen. The GC's thoughs are the lower cost of labor will offset the high cost of copper. We are still in the planning phases of this job, there is no plumber lined up yet

Re: 8" Copper

No. I have not. At that size and price I wouldn't even look for a distributor. I'd call manufacturers. Might need a translator though.

J.C.

Comment

ok, mueller makes 8" copper, list price is 522.82 a foot! so lets see, 100' long run that is $52,282 just for the pipe! Problem is I cant find 8" Victaulic flanges for copper! Whatever they decide I'll make sure to post some pictures. Funny the 8" FJ DIP is probably only half the price and twice the labor! I think I would go with copper, what do you guys think?

Comment

Honestly Wrench, out of my realm of knowledge. But interested to learn what you/they decide and why.

Seems like ductile would get the job done at a lesser cost.

J.C.

Comment

I am not a plumbing expert.
          I have no knowledge of 8"copper.

I have layed miles of ductile Iron.
          What is the major labor involving using DI? Getting it into the building?
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

biggest i've ever worked with is 6'' type l. always brazed it as we t-drilled the tees. only thing we soft soldered was the bronze flanges.

i still have fittings

now on the big stuff, i use victaulic roll grooving for it.

biggest mistake was lifting a 20' length and trying to make a turn and then put it down without dropping

back then 6'' l was $20.00 a foot.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

You might consider 8" stainless..comes in 21' lengths but can be cut outside. Vic makes 8" stainless fittings, but you'll need a special roller. Believe it or not SS is now cheaper than copper. In my opinion Vic'ing copper is a PITA, stainless rolls nice and gives plenty of rigidity at the joints
              West Trail Mechanical Ltd
              Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

My bad, the fittings for SS are not actually made of stainless, they're a galvanized Ductile Iron. Good up to 300 PSI , available up to 12"
                West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Round here you ca get copper up to 250mm (10inch)in 6 metre (20foot) lengths no problem. Its expensive as you note.

Easy to silver braze, form branches etc.

Surely there is a plumber familiar with that kind of work near your job?

Comment

just a thought,

how 'bout running 4" x 2 or x3 runs parallel to each other? just wondering.

Comment

The labor with the DIP is getting it into the building down stairwells etc and lifting it overhead to hang it from the ceiling. There are no brancehs or fittings coming off the pipe it is just straight for about 100'. IMHO it should take only about 2 days to hang all this pipe and install it with copper. I was thinking almost a week to hang and install the DIP. Using this idea I almost thing that the copper would be cheaper.

Comment

wrench, check your pm
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

If your going through the building with the water line, I assume you already need to core a hole. Could you maake it a bigger hole and pass the pipe through?
                          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Check with Gilmour Supply in Mt. Vernon. (914) 662-2900

Or Davis and Warshaw in Maspeth L.I.

Comment

Thanks guys all is good. GC did a quick value engineering summary and determined that the 8" copper is the way to go. Appreciate all the responses and help!

Comment

Working...
                              X