X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dryer vent installations

I have read on the forum recently about venting of dryers and the formulas for lengths of vents and subtraction of lengths for 45s and 90s. I have also read that piping of some kind, relative to the flexible pipe sold in places like HD, is a distant second place option at best.

One of my customers needs a dryer vented. Is installation of vents for dryers normally the provence of plumbers? I can probably work my way through the venting with ridgid pipe but if plumbers usually do it I would prefer to have it done by someone with experience, and will advise my customers to seek the advice of a plumber. On the other hand if plumbers consider dryer venting a nusiance job I will attempt the job myself.

Thanks,

-Tom

Re: Dryer vent installations

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
    I have read on the forum recently about venting of dryers and the formulas for lengths of vents and subtraction of lengths for 45s and 90s. I have also read that piping of some kind, relative to the flexible pipe sold in places like HD, is a distant second place option at best.

One of my customers needs a dryer vented. Is installation of vents for dryers normally the provence of plumbers? I can probably work my way through the venting with ridgid pipe but if plumbers usually do it I would prefer to have it done by someone with experience, and will advise my customers to seek the advice of a plumber. On the other hand if plumbers consider dryer venting a nusiance job I will attempt the job myself.

Thanks,

-Tom
    It must be a metal vent with no screws. The vent can be no longer than fourteen feet long but can include two elbows in addition to the fourteen feet. For each additional elbow deduct two feet from the fourteen feet. Terminate the vent with a backdraft damper and no screen.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

The installation manual for YOUR dryer will give specific info on maximum recommended length, number of elbows, maximum height, etc.

Local building codes will usually have specs like it must be all metal, smooth wall, no screw, etc.

Comment

A lint trap is also helpful when using solid pipe.

Comment

Tom,

Between this thread and the tankless thread...I'm starting to wonder if your getting in over your head.

CO venting is NOT a handyman job..have your customer get in touch with a plumber..OR if you prefer to save face and appear more professional...find a plumber you can work with.

I have several friends in other trades that refer me work and I reciprocate.

If you start a fire or cause someone to become ill...or worse, it could wind you in jail.

Take the short-term hit to build a repore with licensed pro's.

I have one fella who does smaller construction and remodels, I have referred him far more work than he has referred to me to date.

We originally met when he needed a plumber for a job that the homeowner insisted permits be pulled, he has no regrets about sending me more work now as it has paid him back in droves.

Comment

I hate venting dryers, installing dryers, installing stacked washer dryers. Arggggggggggggg.
            sigpic

Comment

tom, listen to duckbutter!!

i am a certified gasfitter up here in Canada's arctic. at the time i entered the trade as an apprentice, there was no oil burner mechanic course offered in my area. so i studied the books and passed all of my written exams, passed the practical exam and became certified gasfitter for the Northwest Territories Only. Canadian provinces() and territories regulate themselves.

in other words, to work in any of the provinces() or territories, you must first pass a gasfitters competency exam. they just want to make sure you know your sh*t.

because it's too frigg'in cold up here for gas, i'm basically limited to repairing BBQ's. this is why i wouldn't feel comfortable working on gas.

what i lack in gasfitting experience i make up in knowledge. don't take chances if your not certified.

i'm sure the gas laws are just as strict down there as they are up here. we modeled our laws based on yours. and i must say, they're pretty darn good laws.

i just don't want to see anybody get hurt or go to jail.

i was one of the lemmings in walt disney's movie eh.

Comment

Thank you for all the replies. I in no way plan to tackle anything that is plumbing related. The question about the tankless was for my information only. I wondered if 120 degrees was a standard temp. That is all. I told the customer to contact the seller and find out the name of the plumber who installed the tankless unit.

The question about the dryer vent was about whether plumbers consider them a nusiance. If so I might be tempted to install it myself. But I really didn't want to. I attempted to call a plumber this afternoon to ask him if he would install the vent but no answer. I had to go to HD this afternoon to pick up some stuff. While there I asked in the plumbing dept about installing a vent. The store guy told me everything I needed. As it turned out there was a plumber there and he interrupted and said the guy told me wrong. In order to meet codes for the town I was working in I needed a different type of pipe than the HD guy said. That reinforced to me that no matter if a plumber thinks the job is a nusiance or not there is too much at risk for me to tackle the job.

I am a back to, "A little caulk and a little paint makes a carpenter what he ain't."

Thank you again for all the replies and the cautionary statements.

-Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
                  Thank you for all the replies. I in no way plan to tackle anything that is plumbing related. The question about the tankless was for my information only. I wondered if 120 degrees was a standard temp. That is all. I told the customer to contact the seller and find out the name of the plumber who installed the tankless unit.

The question about the dryer vent was about whether plumbers consider them a nusiance. If so I might be tempted to install it myself. But I really didn't want to. I attempted to call a plumber this afternoon to ask him if he would install the vent but no answer. I had to go to HD this afternoon to pick up some stuff. While there I asked in the plumbing dept about installing a vent. The store guy told me everything I needed. As it turned out there was a plumber there and he interrupted and said the guy told me wrong. In order to meet codes for the town I was working in I needed a different type of pipe than the HD guy said. That reinforced to me that no matter if a plumber thinks the job is a nusiance or not there is too much at risk for me to tackle the job.

I am a back to, "A little caulk and a little paint makes a carpenter what he ain't."

Thank you again for all the replies and the cautionary statements.

-Tom
                  Been there, done that.
                  I actually interupted a HD "plumbing guy" offering a middle aged woman a quickie tutorial on a boiler installation once.

Comment

Working...
                  X