Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

65R Manual Threader - When were they first made?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65R Manual Threader - When were they first made?

I've got an old Ridgid 65R (not a 65R-C) pipe threader. My father had it over 50 years ago and I think he got it from my grandfather. I heard Ridgid started in the 1920's. Would anybody know when they started making this tool?

It works fine but needs new dies, I hear the newer threaders use the same ones. I was surprised to see the new 65R-C is based on the same design, whoever designed this tool in the first place must have done a great job.

Re: 65R Manual Threader - When were they first made?

I have one thats so old the original paint is black. Still in use.
    sigpic

Comment

I have a drawing on my screen right now from Christmas Eve 1929. There are several dated in the early thirties. Some of the "new" parts are from the late '40s and early '50s.
      Steve
      www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Have these really changed in their design since their introduction. All of mine I aquired the same way. 95% of my tools I purchased used, wrenches threaders and snakes. I have few new tools but they are the daily use hand tools and power tools mostly.

Comment

I have old blackie and another 65r that's maybe 10 years old. They are identical as far as I can tell.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
            Have these really changed in their design since their introduction.
            Not much. Many of the original drawings or redraws of them are what we still use. Same with the 141/161; we're using 50 year old drawings for most parts there, too. I hope my designs last 50-75 years!
            Steve
            www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by smorris View Post
              Not much. Many of the original drawings or redraws of them are what we still use. Same with the 141/161; we're using 50 year old drawings for most parts there, too. I hope my designs last 50-75 years!
              That would definitely be something to aspire to! What do you think the plumbing industry will evolve to in another 50 years?

Comment

Flexible EVERYTHING No tools needed, no skill required. You can do it we can help
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X