Hot water pressure issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot water pressure issue

I live in a condo complex consisting of about 200 units in 13 buildings.

We're having big issues with hot water pressure dropping.

all the valves were recently replaced and the problem continues.

the association's plumber thinks that single handle faucets are causing the problem so the plumber is going to go into every unit to inspect all the kitchen and bath fixtures.

are single handle faucets a viable culprit?

what else could be the cause and what are the solutions?

would pressure regulators at the endtrance and exit of each building help? pressure balancers on each hot and cold connection?

anything?

thanks!

Re: Hot water pressure issue

Are you having the same problem in all 13 buildings?

Has this just recently occurred?

J.C.

Comment

200 units, 13 buildings that's a lot of valves.

When you say ALL, which valves are you referring to?

Your (one) individual condo or all the buildings. By property owner do you mean you are the property manager of the complex or just own the one unit?
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

the problem is happening to all the units in the complex, of which i own a few units.

the valves that were replaced were the shutoff valves for each building - entry and exit.

this has been going on for as long as i've been here (8 years).

the pump for the hot water was also recently replaced with no effect.

hope that helps!

Comment

So the onsight plumber was aware that the buildings are on a common hot water system.O/K that is an important piece of information.

There is something missing to make me believe it's the mixing valves at tub/showers.

If it was them one of the symptoms would be lukewater in the cold system.

It sounds to me like the faucets are getting full temperature hot with low volume.If this is the case I would not be going after the cartridges in the valves at this point in.

I would look for something choking the hot at it's source,boiler,half closed valve,maybe a stuck check valve.

Comment

drtyhands, i agree about the single handle faucet not being the culprit.

i left out this bit of info which may or may not help.. the hot water pressure is not constantly down. during a shower it might start off low which results in mostly cold water. about 5-10 minutes into the shower the hot water pressure will pick up - sometimes it won't.... wouldn't choking cause this?

is there such a thing as a pressure sensing pump where, if it senses the pressure drop it will work harder?

Comment

No pumps usually on anything less than 5 floors.Sounds like you have an issue with volume supply.

Comment

What is the water heater? Type, size, make etc.
                sigpic

Comment

what size is the feed and what type .all copper ,all galvanize copper to galvanize . galvanize will start clogging over time .

Comment

Just noticed this for the first time. If your unit has two bathrooms (one will do but if your living with someone they might get mad) unscrew the shower head and put a water pressure test gauge on the end of the shower arm. You will need to purchase a 1/2 fipx3/4 male hose thread adapter fitting or this won't work. Basically you can monitor the pressure in the building by watching the gauge. You may notice fluctuations or not, you may wish to turn your shower valve to cold only and keep an eye on things or hot only. If the valves that were recently replaced are pressure balanced or thermostatic (they should be) there should be little concern of back flowing the hot into the cold or visa versa. My only concern is you turning the shower arm in the wall and having a small drip occur that you would be unaware of. If this idea causes you to loose some sleep then your next option is to get two water test gauges and put them on your laundry bibs. You may notice something that can give us more info.

Comment

Working...
                    X