X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanding ABS joints before glueing

I remember working as a plumber's helper during my university days. There was this "old school" plumber who started on cast iron DWV, then went through the Copper DWV, then to ABS DWV over his career (this was more than 25 years ago and he was 65 back then)...anyway, he always sanded his ABS fittings and pipe ends lightly before applying the yellow sovent cement. He said he did that to make sure nothing was on the pipe that would cause a leak. I have never seen this step mentioned anywhere. Was this plumber wasting his time? Is there any merit in sanding the joints before glueing? Is any harm done?

Re: Sanding ABS joints before glueing

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
    I remember working as a plumber's helper during my university days. There was this "old school" plumber who started on cast iron DWV, then went through the Copper DWV, then to ABS DWV over his career (this was more than 25 years ago and he was 65 back then)...anyway, he always sanded his ABS fittings and pipe ends lightly before applying theyellow sovent cement. He said he did that to make sure nothing was on the pipe that would cause a leak. I have never seen this step mentioned anywhere. Was this plumber wasting his time? Is there any merit in sanding the joints before glueing? Is any harm done?

i've done it on real glossy pvc pipe to soften the material..

never seen yellow abs glue

i only know of black abs glue.

on abs there is no primer required and have never sanded abs.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thousands of joints put under a minimum of a ten foot head pressure,sometimes thirty.
      No sanding...No leaks.

Comment

Instructions at all the big box stores recommend sandpapering the ends of the pipe.

I've seen homeowners do it before.....wandering why...........???

I'd say contact Oatey for the technical speak on these matters.

To remove dirt would be a good idea.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
          ...To remove dirt would be a good idea.
          I usually use a terry cloth rag for that. I have on occasion sanded some of the glue off of the occasional mis glued fitting

Greg

Comment

All ABS glue in Ontario (at least from Toronto to Niagara Falls) is Yellow...never seen black glue!

Comment

I've only ever seen Yellow ABS Glue too - here in BC Canada. Didn't know they made black abs glue or even other colours.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott K View Post
                I've only ever seen Yellow ABS Glue too - here in BC Canada. Didn't know they made black abs glue or even other colours.
                I can understand the thought behind the yellow,like PVC primer,so you know it has been applied.We've always been blk as far as I've been puttin it in.

But if any one important needs verification on the integrity I guess they figure it gets tested.

Comment

I want to say very few to no leaks on a properly glued joint with black ABS glue. Is the yellow pretty reliable as well? Same stuff just different dye?

Interesting.

Greg

Comment

No sanding until proven differently.

J.C.

Comment

When the yellow abs glue dries, assuming you haven't pepper caked the joint with it but applied a neat even amount to the pipe and fitting with a minor twist after bottoming it out and maybe doing a light wipe of the bottom part of the joint to get any glue that wants to drip, it is very difficult to see. It dries to a dark almost transluscent yellow - virtually invisible if you do a neat job.

The yellow stuff is very reliable and user friendly. We all know that any plumber who says he hasn't had a leak while soldering Copper is a BSer. Well I can honestly tell you I haven't had one leak since I started this trade using yellow abs glue on abs, period.

Comment

Sounds like the same reliability on properly glued (black) joints too.

Comment

Sounds more like the glue we use on Flowguard Gold CPVC Cement which is a one step glue that we use on the water lines (which should be deburred ) .
                          As Far as ABS drains go I have only seen the black one step glue which is put on both the black fitting and black pipe. We use spin cutters so I have never sanded the pipe before glueing.
                          I cant imagine that the color yellow would show up on black pipe like a purpkle primer does on white it would probably just dry clear. Like when I see ABS pipes put together with an all purpouse glue.

Comment

By Canadian National Plumbing Code all ABS solvent glue is yellow in Canada. If any other colour is used your work may not be passed by the inspector and your work may have to be redone.

As far as the sanding goes, there is absolutely no need for it. A simple wipe of the hand is enough to remove any debris. Since the glue is a solvent and not an adhesive the surface finish is irrelevant. The glue works by melting the pipe and the fitting together.

Comment

I use to sand the sch 80 pipe " usually the sch 80 had sat at the wholesalers for a while, more just to clean it and it kept the primer on the pipe cleaned with emery cloth just like copper but only one good pass." An older guy I had worked for. always did but I had an issue with a job I was working on called weld on " manufacturer reccomended for sch 80 "purple primer. Clear glue. they told me never sand the pipe or fitting, so I don't know but on abs its completely unnecessary. Anyways we use only yellow abs . I never have leaks on it except one whole rough in I did one of my first on my own. Got to job driving a short box truck at the time almost an hour from town. It was a cold November day I had just bought a gallon of ABS glue. Grabbed my glue can and to my dismay it had leaked all over my job box and froze a giant lake of cement with various pex fitting abs fittings and my socket set that had come apart on my way up this treacherous road ,Anyways had no brush or glue pot found an old nabob can and paint brush filled it up with glue and did the rough in. My last 12 fitting leaked the next day when I tested it. Unfortunately I learned that the acetone in the glue vaporized away after time which also helps the bonding between the fitting and the glue. So I ate some fittings some hours and another drive up there to learn ALWAYS put the lid on.
                              Last edited by seanny deep; 02-28-2013, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X