X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setting a tub on slab

I am a general contractor lacking in plumbing expertise. Recently I have been getting a few bathroom remodel jobs. Thus far there has been access underneath all of them however I have a bid on a bath remodel over slab. Here is my problem.... How do I make the drain connections with no access? Do I just rough in the drain stub as best I can, glue it up and drop the whole tub on top and hope the connection is good? Attach the waste and overflow first then drop the tub on them? Please advise.

Thanks,

Re: setting a tub on slab

The first thing you want to do is get a Above-The-Floor-Rough tub. Not all manufacturers have these available but it will save you some headaches when setting the tub.

It's still a trial and error thing. Dryfit the drain and drop the tub on it. Pull the tub and make corrections. Usually take 2 or 3 trials before I get it just right. Before you close it up test the drain AND overflow. Usually I do this with an inspection mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by shan View Post
      I am a general contractor lacking in plumbing expertise. Recently I have been getting a few bathroom remodel jobs. Thus far there has been access underneath all of them however I have a bid on a bath remodel over slab. Here is my problem.... How do I make the drain connections with no access? Do I just rough in the drain stub as best I can, glue it up and drop the whole tub on top and hope the connection is good? Attach the waste and overflow first then drop the tub on them? Please advise.

Thanks,
      You dry fit the W&O and tub in the location and make sure you have a good fit then pull the tub back out glue it all up and set the tub again. It is something plumbers do all of the time and it may make more sense for you to hire a plumber rather than setting the tub multiple times.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thanks for the responses,

Well it is something I am going to need to do more frequently here and due to the nature of my particular business I have a hard time subbing work out. So to clarify you dry fit everything and then when you get it all where you want it do you glue the w&o to the drain then set the tub on that or attach it to the tub and drop it in the drain with glue waiting for me? Seems like the glue might dry before I get the tub where I want it?

Also what is the advantage to the above the floor rough in? How is it different?

Comment

I've done it both ways but glueing the waste and overflow, letting it set up then dropping the tub over it. It's more difficult doing it the other way and you can't tell if that last glue joint was all the way in.

The tub is a few inches taller. No recessed area in concrete for above the floor rough. Concrete finishes right up to the pipe. All joints above the concrete.

Comment

Thanks for the responses,

Well it is something I am going to need to do more frequently here and due to the nature of my particular business I have a hard time subbing work out. So to clarify you dry fit everything and then when you get it all where you want it do you glue the w&o to the drain then set the tub on that or attach it to the tub and drop it in the drain with glue waiting for me? Seems like the glue might dry before I get the tub where I want it?

Also what is the advantage to the above the floor rough in? How is it different?
            What is the "particular nature" of your work that makes hiring a licensed plumber so difficult? Would it be that you just don't feel like paying someone to da a job that requires a license and permit.?
            sigpic

Comment

I work with elderly and disabled people doing home access modification. Generally speaking my clientele feels much more at ease with just me doing the work additionally due to my scheduling I often times need to juggle appointments and can't be onsite to wait for the plumber and stay there while he/she does the work. As far as your second comment. I am a licensed general contractor and therefore am allowed to perform the plumbing on my projects, additionally I always pull permits and have my work inspected. As far as not wanting to pay a plumber thats just silly. If I knew a good plumber that would be willing to drive up to 100 miles on short notice for a half days work well then I would be thrilled to pieces unfortunately the good ones are usually busy and don't want to take on such small jobs with such sporadic frequency.

Comment

Thanks,

Depends on access inside the wall behind and just forward of the tub. In any case, you need to start with careful measurements so you will start close. One way is to attach the assembled W/O to the tub, drop that in and reach over and around the tub to make that up to the trap. Sometimes you can include the trap as part of your preassembly, and drop it all in and make it up. If you have little or no access, then you have to do very careful measurements, make up the drain and W/O in place and drop the tub on it, attaching the drain flange and overflow cover after the tub is in place.

This is one of those things that is tedious, and will be time consuming ( repeated in-and-out fit up tries on the tub) the first few dozen times you do it! Practice makes perfect.

Comment

1)Install the waste and overflow everything on the tub glue it all together.
                  2)Remove from tub
                  3)install waste and overflow to measurements fitting your individual tub.Your a builder and your very confident with a level,plumbob and square.
                  4)set the tub in place over assembly(there is no last glue joint,you've already completed it in step 3.
                  5)screw in puttied spud then overflow.

Go get em Mr.Plumber

Comment

I work with elderly and disabled people doing home access modification. Generally speaking my clientele feels much more at ease with just me doing the work additionally due to my scheduling I often times need to juggle appointments and can't be onsite to wait for the plumber and stay there while he/she does the work. As far as your second comment. I am a licensed general contractor and therefore am allowed to perform the plumbing on my projects, additionally I always pull permits and have my work inspected. As far as not wanting to pay a plumber thats just silly. If I knew a good plumber that would be willing to drive up to 100 miles on short notice for a half days work well then I would be thrilled to pieces unfortunately the good ones are usually busy and don't want to take on such small jobs with such sporadic frequency.

Well, I guess that makes it ok then.
                    sigpic

Comment

I have a couple of Generals out here that can install plumbing better than 10 plumbing companies I know of and the employees they send out.

They are either too expensive and slow as molasses thinking they are gods gift to the world(Hourly)
                      OR
                      They are hacking and slashing to get the least amount of work for the most amount of money(Unit price)

I'm so lucky the good lord made me as perfect as he did

Last edited by drtyhands; 09-28-2008, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X