Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plumbers left PVC toilet hole sealed..help!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbers left PVC toilet hole sealed..help!

Well, went to install a new toilet, but the plumbers left the hole sealed....which would be fine, if it was a 'dollar plug' as you pros call it, as I have had to use & remove those in my business of building salvage, but it is some sort of PVC plug, that obviously came as part of the flange assembly....and it will not come out, neither pull up, nor twist out. So how do you remove it? cut it out??? We are trying to get the washroom done to rent out that side of the house (we have a duplex), and time and funds are getting short...

Am not keen about calling them yet again (had to call about two leaks in the PVC joints, which were letting sewer gas in the house), and the 2 day job (as we were quoted) that ended up taking 4 days.

It is probably so simple that I have somehow missed how to do it....Forgive my idiocy!
    Last edited by Not a super Handy-Man; 09-29-2008, 04:18 PM. Reason: typos

Re: Plumbers left PVC toilet hole sealed..help!

knock it out

Comment

I was going to say that....what are you doing home Adam? You should be working
      The Other Rick

Comment

Literally smash it with a hammer? Thre are two thin lines around the edge of the inset portion, so that crossed my mind, but if the chunk of PVC heads south down the hole, it'll be a a bigger pain to remove....and have given it a couple whacks already, and it showed no signs of giving. Used to have a little tab in the center, but it broke off like nothing when I tried to twist it.And, when I did whack it, the whole thing seemed to give a little too much.
        Last edited by Not a super Handy-Man; 09-29-2008, 04:27 PM. Reason: typos & addition

Comment

if you are scared of smacking it out try using a dremel or rotozip tool

Comment

Thanks.....guess I need to hunt up my dremmel....thanks all for the super speedy advice...Would have been good if the installers had told us what to do....

Comment

they have a dent puller for cars that is a slide hammer with a wood screw on the end just drill a small hole to get the screw started then screw the screw in then beat backward with the hammer or use a crowbar with nail puller. Get it started with ether a hole saw or drill hole or two to get a saw in.to help get it started. Don't leave any ruff edge for paper to catch on or it will keep stopping up I use a knife to cut any edge off so it will be smother then filing.

Comment

tap the raised lip with a hammer till you see it cracked all the way around.

Take pliers and pull out the plug. Done!

Comment

Thinking to self, out loud...
                  If I'd left the knock-out in a toilet, there are one of two main reasons I did that.

The rough inspection hasn't been done yet.

The rough is done, but awaiting to complete my contract with finish installation.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                    If I'd left the knock-out in a toilet, there are one of two main reasons I did that.

The rough is done, but awaiting to complete my contract with finish installation.

Ditto....

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                      Ditto....
                      triplicate...

Comment

Originally posted by glkearns View Post
                        triplicate...
                        QUAD TOOL JUST leave it in ,set toilet " Any problems pay the PLUMBER,HE'S GOT KIDS !!!!!!!!
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by glkearns View Post
                          triplicate...
                          I don't know what comes after triplicate. So I'll just say me too. Beating the rough in guy out of his final.

J.C.

Comment

By reading a lot of these type of threads one gets the impression that there just are no competent plumbers out there anymore.
                            sigpic

Comment

well thats not necessarily true if as many have pointed out the plumber wasnt paid!

Comment

Working...
                              X