Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are differences between Plumber and master plumber?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What are differences between Plumber and master plumber?

    I would like to know plumber and master plumber.

    What a master plumber can do while a plumber cannot?

    Thank you.

  • #2
    Re: What are differences between Plumber and master plumber?

    as far as i know a master plumber is the same as what some of us refer to as plumbing contractors.

    a plumber is a licensed tradesman in the plumbing trades who works for

    a master/ plumbing contractor.

    a master/ contractor is not only licensed in the plumbing trades, but in the business of it. we can write contracts and are responsible for the daily operations of the business.

    my contractors test was 50% trade and 50% business law.

    typically you need to be a journeyman plumber for 4 years prior to being eligible for a contractors license and test.

    think of it as the owner of the company compared to an
    (plumber)employee of the company.

    rick.
    phoebe it is

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: What are differences between Plumber and master plumber?

      Originally posted by khlee815 View Post
      I would like to know plumber and master plumber.

      What a master plumber can do while a plumber cannot?

      Thank you.
      $8 per hour.
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

      I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: What are differences between Plumber and master plumber?

        A journeyman is a person who has completed an apprenticeship program or is an experienced worker, not a trainee, and is fully qualified and able to perform a specific trade without supervision.

        A Master Plumber is one who has demonstrated mastery of the trade of plumbing, has worked in the field for many years, is certified in different areas of plumbing, typically trains new plumbers in the trade, and oversees large plumbing projects.
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

        I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: What are differences between Plumber and master plumber?

          In my state, the only difference is that a Masters license can hire apprentices & journeymen plumbers under his license.

          The masters course consists of basically the same material as the journeymens course, BUT it has additional business math.

          As for pay working for a shop, a master generally makes the same unless he has substantial time under his belt and is the foreman of the shop.

          Union is different though, pay is higher...I think.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: What are differences between Plumber and master plumber?

            Depends on your state. California does not have a state Journeyman and or Master License. You are either a plumbing contractor, or not. A licensed plumbing contractor can hire anyone he wants to and put them to work.

            If you are in a union environment, other rules kick in.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: What are differences between Plumber and master plumber?

              California does not issue a Journeyman's card but the definition I used is from the CSLB Web Site. The reason they define what a Journeyman is is because you have to show proof of working as a Journeyman for 4-years prior to taking your Contractors test.

              This is the part of the FAQ I really appreciated:

              I trained for 3 months and was then given a truck and told to go do the jobs assigned. Does that make me a journeyman?

              Most trades require one to five years of apprentice time in order to fully understand the complexity of the work along with codes, standards, business management, and troubleshooting. Just because an employer is sending you out on basic jobs, it does not qualify you as a journeyman.
              The apprentice time is valuable learning time that can not be skipped. Writing an invoice and collecting for services is not the same as processing the invoice, depositing the money, balancing books monthly, paying expenditures, processing payroll, and providing the government with all applicable paperwork.



              Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

              I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: What are differences between Plumber and master plumber?

                Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                California does not issue a Journeyman's card but the definition I used is from the CSLB Web Site. The reason they define what a Journeyman is is because you have to show proof of working as a Journeyman for 4-years prior to taking your Contractors test.

                This is the part of the FAQ I really appreciated:

                I trained for 3 months and was then given a truck and told to go do the jobs assigned. Does that make me a journeyman?

                Most trades require one to five years of apprentice time in order to fully understand the complexity of the work along with codes, standards, business management, and troubleshooting. Just because an employer is sending you out on basic jobs, it does not qualify you as a journeyman.
                The apprentice time is valuable learning time that can not be skipped. Writing an invoice and collecting for services is not the same as processing the invoice, depositing the money, balancing books monthly, paying expenditures, processing payroll, and providing the government with all applicable paperwork.



                Mark
                I never did understand why my state made such a big deal of the business aspect of plumbing until I went into business.
                Having just a small handful of inexperienced guys bidding against more established shops can wreap havoc on the trade overall.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: What are differences between Plumber and master plumber?

                  In Colorado We have three licenses. (I thought Cali did too) Residential, Journeyman, master. It all has to do with the amount of experience or hours on the job, or years. For residential it was two years, for journeyman it was four years and Master it was five years. And the tests were the same for Res and Jrny, the Master test was same as the other two plus questions based on some drawings.
                  Under IPC in Colorado, only a Master Plumber can pull permits.
                  ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: What are differences between Plumber and master plumber?

                    In Aus a master plumber is a plumber licenced or not who is a member of the Master Plumbers Association in each state and pays a yearly subscription $$$$ for the previlege with no extra qualification and is just a wank and a waste of money, how do I know because I once wasted my money.

                    Tony

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: What are differences between Plumber and master plumber?

                      I went metro licensing office today in Toronto. There is no exam for master plumber. They Only required SIN, photo ID, plumber's license and money. First year for $345.00 then renewal fee is about half.

                      Before I heard two years exprience is required after get plumbers license but no more.

                      So, if you are licensed plumber you can be a master plumber right away in Toronto, but you need to pay money.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: What are differences between Plumber and master plumber?

                        Originally posted by khlee815 View Post
                        I went metro licensing office today in Toronto. There is no exam for master plumber. They Only required SIN, photo ID, plumber's license and money. First year for $345.00 then renewal fee is about half.

                        Before I heard two years exprience is required after get plumbers license but no more.

                        So, if you are licensed plumber you can be a master plumber right away in Toronto, but you need to pay money.
                        A lot tougher down here.
                        You'll need to show 2 Captain-Crunch box tops.
                        Be able to chew bubble gum and walk at the same time.
                        And yes you will be tested on your knowledge.Few get this question wrong because they know how important it is to get their name and return address correct to have there license mailed to them.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: What are differences between Plumber and master plumber?

                          Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                          A lot tougher down here.
                          You'll need to show 2 Captain-Crunch box tops.
                          Be able to chew bubble gum and walk at the same time.
                          I thought these were the requirements for politicians.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: What are differences between Plumber and master plumber?

                            When I tell a new customer " I'm a MASTER PLUMBER" I watch how this is received.
                            If They buy it.Iadd another $40.00 per hr. on.
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: What are differences between Plumber and master plumber?

                              Titled as a Master Plumber, it's the highest level in your profession you can go, there is no higher.


                              There's a degree of expectation that you should expect when a Master Plumber is performing work duties in your home.


                              In my state and numerous others, it is a degree of knowledge that you have to be tested for to determine you DO know the profession well enough to conduct business, operate with the notion of supervising journeymen and apprentices that are in the profession.


                              By far it's an accomplishment, you're not grouped into a huge pool of others doing the same thing with only "street creds" that decipher if you are top of the rim or bottom of the pile. This is one exact reason why I will not do anything more than my journeyman's license in the state of ohio for the reason they went to a contractor's license which is utter bullshit.

                              I was 3 months from testing out for my masters over there, rules governed that you had to obtain a journeyman's license for 3 years before testing out. I could not get them to budge.


                              But the title of "Master Plumber" is only held by a small fraction of individuals across the United States, there's a smaller fraction of the total number that are actively using that license as well. I believe the ratio across the states is 400 journeymen to 1 master.


                              I don't know how anyone that loves their trade, their profession wouldn't want to climb to the top. It's a rung on the ladder that you climb and you don't ever have to worry about reaching that point ever again.


                              Having a Master's license in a court of law and reputation as a local businessmen has some serious weight, especially if you're called to testify on behalf of a customer that was wrongfully treated by a hack for installing plumbing improperly.

                              Those are days that are golden that no matter how insignificant, you know your afternoon spent crushing the fool was pay in the form of satisfaction.
                              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X