X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cast iron to ABS questions

I'm a GC doing bathroom and kitchen remodeling. I usually do all of my own plumbing, but I rarely have to deal with Cast Iron.

I'm moving the shower drain. I cut open the slab and exposed an old cast iron trap and pipe connecting to a larger y. The horizontal pipe is loose and I suspect that I will be able to just pull it out of the hub.

I plan on replacing the trap and horizontal pipe with ABS, but I am a little unclear about connecting the 2" ABS to the cast iron hub. The hub measures about 4-1/8" in diameter.

I was able to pick up some Fernco connectors, but since this will be inspected, I wanted to find out from the experts which method of attaching the 2" ABS to the hub would pass inspection. All of the parts that I picked up would tighten over the outside diameter of the hub (where the old 2" cast iron used to be inserted with oakum).

1) Should I use the 4" to 2" rubber adapter? I think that it will fit over the hub and then the ABS would fit into the 2" side.

2) Should I use the 4" to 4" Fernco rubber connector and an ABS 4" to 2" bushing?

3) Should I use the 4" to 4" Fernco connector with the corrugated Stainless sleeve and an ABS 4" to 2" bushing?

I'll try to insert some pictures - thanks in advance!

RC
    Attached Files

Re: Cast iron to ABS questions

They make a fernco with a solid stainless steel shield.I like to use these when going from plastic to bell and spigot.Use this with your 4X2 ABS bell reducer.

Comment

WHOA.....Wait a minute.Screw that mess.Cut that hub off Mr.Genaral contractor.Then adapt "pipe only" to 4X2 plastic.
      I don't know what kind of sediment gathering assembly you were invisioning.But it sounded like a big problem in the making.

I just read your post thoroughly

Comment

I would think that the first step would be to GET A PLUMBING LICENSE, if you have to ask you should'nt be doing it.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          I would think that the first step would be to GET A PLUMBING LICENSE, if you have to ask you should'nt be doing it.
          Tool's gonna chime in here...

Cali allows GC's to do as many as 3 trades when they pull permits...yes, it's bizarre.
          Another member in Cali had a problem with a GC he contracts for, bluffing him with threats of doing the work himself if he didn't drop his already low rates a few months back...really isn't a smart move as far as fairness and quality of workmanship.

Inspectors do not catch everything.
          Last edited by DuckButter; 09-30-2008, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
            Tool's gonna chime in here...

Cali allows GC's to do as many as 3 trades when they pull permits...yes, it's bizarre.
            Another member in Cali had a problem with a GC he contracts for, bluffing him with threats of doing the work himself if he didn't drop his already low rates a few months back...really isn't a smart move as far as fairness and quality of workmanship.

Inspectors do not catch everything.
            Three custom homes this guy has done the island vent on.I tell him every time he's got the footvent on the wrong riser.Plumbing is designed to be self cleaning.Anywho,the inspector in the third city finally caught it.
            Inspectors hardly catch anything.
            Especially since housing is inspected by combination inspectors.You the plumber get to train them on your job.
            The only inspections I look forward to are commercial,still some pretty hardnosed cranky old timers that respect the time put into a clean system.Even though they too have there hands tied as far as having to accept shotty workmanship.

Comment

Here, my inspector catches EVERYTHING. Put a DWV hanger at 49"-gonna get flagged.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                Three custom homes this guy has done the island vent on.I tell him every time he's got the footvent on the wrong riser.Plumbing is designed to be self cleaning.Anywho,the inspector in the third city finally caught it.
                Inspectors hardly catch anything.
                Especially since housing is inspected by combination inspectors.You the plumber get to train them on your job.
                The only inspections I look forward to are commercial,still some pretty hardnosed cranky old timers that respect the time put into a clean system.Even though they too have there hands tied as far as having to accept shotty workmanship.
                The last shop I worked for (I rant 'bout it occasionally) was a hand down from father to son.
                The son just crammed his shop with anyone who claimed to have experience as long as they worked for $5 to $10 per hour less, then had a few licensed guys that would roam from job to job fixing the crap work.

His father was semi-retired and did nothing but the walk through inspections because he knew most of the inspectors.
                His father would stop by my jobs and complain about what his son had done to his shop, as well as what he was doing to the trade.
                He'd get a little "dust" in his eyes sometimes, it bothered him to see his son do this.

A majority of the screw-ups I went to were after the inspection.
                An inspector looking at half a dozen units doesn't have the time to check every gauge to see if it's rigged, or to look in every basement ceiling to see if there are back pitches.

I was making $3 an hour more than the shop I worked at before, but in the end I slept better when I walked away.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  Here, my inspector catches EVERYTHING. Put a DWV hanger at 49"-gonna get flagged.

J.C.
                  I like him!

I s'pose it's easy to say from the outside looking in, but I hate when I go well out of my way to dot my I's and cross my T's all to have an inspector glance briefly then sign off.

Comment

hello.

regarding inspectors, we don't have any except for boilers (flown in to do the annuals), fire (local), electrical (flown in). we are basically responsible for policing ourselves in my neck of the wood (s).

i wish we had inspectors here. it would certainly cut-down on the amount of dispicable work habits some of the locals have developed here. it's almost as if they just don't care about the work they do. there's no pride.

maybe they're bush(ed).

i guess that makes alot of work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
                      Oh,only in my dreams would I be so blessed to have your guy come out here.
                      No bulsh!t,in the basement of this multi-million dollar house in Beverly Hills there are oodles of plastic runs exceding 10'.One of them looks like it's about 14',1-1/2"-4".I asked the guys if the inspector said anything about the horizontal support,"No".
                      He also didn't call the 1' separation on parallel water above sewer in the same ditch.They're just laying there nice and cozy side by side.

So now I'm knocking my co-workers workmanship.
                      Let it be known now,I admit I have made my own fair share of mistakes.

Comment

Not plumbing, but when I built my deck local code calls for 2x2x2 holes/concrete under the posts. After having to rent a jackhammer to dig the holes in some hellacious clay, the inspector got out of his truck, glanced at them and signed off. My wife was so mad after I busted my butt to get the holes in that she made him go back to his truck and get a tape measure and check them!

Comment

Originally posted by JTROANOKE View Post
                          Not plumbing, but when I built my deck local code calls for 2x2x2 holes/concrete under the posts. After having to rent a jackhammer to dig the holes in some hellacious clay, the inspector got out of his truck, glanced at them and signed off. My wife was so mad after I busted my butt to get the holes in that she made him go back to his truck and get a tape measure and check them!
                          God Bless that good woman

Comment

I have had some inspectors here, though not often enough measure dirty arms(usually ask, then verify if it's close) Not once has an inspector asked about horizontal support, or measured them. A job I followed a fly-by-nighter on, all of the under-floor ABS was supported with chunks of pipe, dirt clods etc... and it had passed inspection Scary thought.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                              WHOA.....Wait a minute.Screw that mess.Cut that hub off Mr.Genaral contractor.Then adapt "pipe only" to 4X2 plastic.
                              I don't know what kind of sediment gathering assembly you were invisioning.But it sounded like a big problem in the making.

I just read your post thoroughly
                              Thanks for that Drtyhands! To cut off that hub, I will need to break out some more concrete and do a little more digging. I tried yanking that 2" cast iron line out of the hub today and it was in there a lot better than I had thought. What about cutting that 2" cast iron between the trap and hub and going pipe to pipe to extend the drain. I only need to extend the drain about 8" to be in the center of the new shower.

RC

Comment

Working...
                              X