X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LP Water heater burner acting oddly

Bradford white, lp, tank... replaced old one as it had developed a leak in the flue, which dripped water down on the cast iron burner, which crusted it up and closed the holes for the gas, which caused a really fun feature where when it lit it blew flame back out the air shutter.

replaced with a new 50 gal bradford white. This one has the steel burner w/o an adjustable air shutter. When it burns, it roars. looking in the window I see the flame not nice and peacefully coming off the burner, but starting ~ 1/2" away from burner and dancing around, as if gas coming out way too fast. this is abnormal, yes?

Twist 1/4 turn gas shutoff to unit down until nearly choked off and flame settles down and behaves.

This is at ~10,500' altitude. this is a 'high altitude' heater.

Bad regulator from lp tank letting in too much pressure? other appliances seen to work fine. other ideas?
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: LP Water heater burner acting oddly

Verify pressure @ device or as close as you can get. ( use a Magnehelic)

It sounds like the Tank regulator may be to high...

--Be sure you have an LP model

I don't remember if a BW WH has a test port on the valve....hmmmm may have to look that one up.

Comment

I would check the orifice to see if it is sized for natural gas or LP,
      also see what high altitude is said to be, many are for in the 4 to 6000 feet range from the instructions I have read, so the orifice may need to down sized to meet the thinner air, of 10.000 +feet since you can not adjust the air to meet the burner orifice,
      Last edited by BHD; 10-01-2008, 09:39 PM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

said lp and high altitude on the box... maybe wrong heater in the box? i will get numbers off htr and check against box, bw literature.

how do i identify orifice? got a number on it? color or something? find correct size and get out the calipers?

will have the propane folks out to test pressure as i dont have a device to do this... are they spendy? i probably ought to own one but i don't do this work usually as not terribly comfortable with it; this is on a personal property not for a customer.
        Last edited by Ace Sewer; 10-01-2008, 09:30 PM.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

funny you should ask, just set 40 gal. Rheem lp today (7000' el.) I'll look at the gas valve . If every thing else is burnin fine , I'd put a manometer on the valve.

Comment

This Yellow Jacket gas pressure test kit is reasonably priced and works just fine. http://cgi.ebay.com/78060-Yellow-Jac...d=p3286.c0.m14

Andy

Comment

Gas and altitude never play well together!

Rheem residential NG heaters are spec'd for 10,500 feet. These are the "regular" models, not HA. Not sure about the LP's. Used to be that a NG model regular was spec'd for 2500' or 4000' and HA meant 8000'. So things change. Check with your manufacturer.

On NG, it matters what state you are in. Colorado utility suppliers derate their gas, so most appliance are good to 8 or 10 K' without problem.
              I don't know if they do any such thing with LP???

Comment

I think I payed about $70 for a mechanical gage type manometer, one can make a u tube manometer, with some vinyl tubing,
                http://digitalzeus.wordpress.com/200...the-manometer/
                http://www.rverscorner.com/manometer.html
                http://www.rvmobile.com/tech/Trouble/mono.htm

http://www.propanesafety.com/Resourc...-5%20(I-B).pdf

most orifices are marked and usaly by the drill size number,

rember LP is heaver than air and can pool on in low areas so use caution when testing and handling.
                Rego, LP-Gas Serviceman's Manual.
                http://www.regoproducts.com/PDFs/LP-...ans_Manual.pdf
                Gas Appliance System Check,
                http://www.propanesafety.com/Resourc...panesafety.pdf
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Someone must have forwarded this to BW... Thanks. I was contacted by a BW person and after getting them model and ser # they determined that this model is set up for something like 5000'. Needs a different orifice at 10500', a #54 apparently, which is in the mail.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                    Someone must have forwarded this to BW... Thanks. I was contacted by a BW person and after getting them model and ser # they determined that this model is set up for something like 5000'. Needs a different orifice at 10500', a #54 apparently, which is in the mail.
                    Now, thats service. Good for BW
                    The Other Rick

Comment

A little closure;

Installed the replacement orifice today, works like a water heater should. A little surprising to me that the replacement was a #54, which I assume is larger than the #52 which it came with. I'd have thought it would need to be smaller? Do I misunderstand the numbering system?

Thanks to Bradford White, (who by the way also sent me a replacement AND a spare for the busted plastic temp control knob, all at no charge, not even postage, after I explained to them that for all I know I busted the knob in the first place; now that is SERVICE) and thanks also to whoever brought the original post to their attn.

Once again astounded by the response I get here. Hope I've helped others as much as I've been helped.

Comment

the numbers are like a wire sizes (there area NOT wire gages.), a lower number is larger than a higher number,
                        A number 60 is .0135 number one is .2280 and letter sizes are larger yet,
                        there are also numbered drills down to 80, and normally a number drill is used for an orifice,
                        http://www.auto-ware.com/techref/drillsizes.htm or
                        http://sector7.xor.aps.anl.gov/ref_e...ber_drill.html
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                        X