X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need a Ejector pump

Thanks in advance.. just want to make sure I make the best choice.

Last 2 years I have had my sewer back up when the city's sewer fills up. I have a finished basement with a shower and toilet. *(note this is an older home with no sub pump)(basement drain are directly to the sewer pipe before it leaves the house.)

The water comes out of the toilet and shower..I do have a laundry room down there too but have never had any problems...Just the bathroom.

Can't I just have a check valve and a shut-off valve installed?

From the net...
    can be installed to provide a good measure of protection from basement flooding. These valves can isolate the house plumbing from the public sewer in the street. The check valve includes a flapper that shuts when water level in the public sewer is high enough to flow back into the house. The shut-off valve can be manually closed as an added measure of protection. The shut-off valve will also need to be closed if debris becomes lodged in the check valve preventing its full closure.

If I can close the water from coming in then do I really need the whole ejector/sewage pump system?

If it is recomended to go with the whole system, do you have any recomedations?

Again thanks a lot!

-Adam

Re: Do I need a Ejector pump

You MAY be able to get away with a backwater valve. It depends upon the slope of the pipe going to the street main. The invert drop across the backwater valve is about 1 or 2 inches. Your best bet is to have you plumber come in and double check that this modification will work, I would rather see you without an ejector pump, they have a knack of failing or having a float hung up at the most inopportune times.

Comment

i bought one of those ejaculator pumps a while back and i'll tell you i'll never use my hands again.

Comment

a pump is not your issue. the sewer system you have is a gravity system.

as wrench said, you need a back water valve.

a back water valve is a check valve designed for sewage.

i would talk to your city and find out why this keeps happening.

out here, a back water valve is required when you have any waste openings/ drains that are below the curb level of the downstream manhole.

the city lines do plug, just like our house lines plugged. water will seek it's own level. your basement sewer opening being lower than the manhole.

is the city sewer a combination sewer and storm system?

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Most codes prohibit the installation of a backwater valve without permission of the city.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            Most codes prohibit the installation of a backwater valve without permission of the city.
            upc requires it 710. 710.1

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Not out here. Maine has an ammendment to the code.
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks Everyone!!!! I really appreciate it. I don't know if the city will allow me to do this, but maybe I can do it without them knowing? lol I live in a suburb of Chicago. (I'm sure the City of Chicago wouldn't allow it)

Rick, I don't really know if the city sewer is a combination sewer and storm system? all I know is that water comes out of my toilet like a waterfall.

I will ask a local plumber to come check it out. Any ideas on what installation would cost?

Comment

It's always best to do things without telling anyone or bothering with those pesky permits and inspections.
                  sigpic

Comment

you have 2 choices.

#1 get the city to maintain their sewer system so this will never happen.

#2 install a backwater valve so this will never happen to you.

there is no #3

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      It's always best to do things without telling anyone or bothering with those pesky permits and inspections.

Comment

Working...
                      X