X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to install dishwasher drain

I'm installing a dishwasher that's not next to a sink and also not able to run the drain through any cabinets. I have a hole through the floor to the basement to run the drain through, with a T in the drain line in the basement that I want to drain the DW to. I've been told by some that the loop is a requirement and the DW won't drain without it. I've been told by others that the loop is there basically as a trap and just keeps the "stink" out.

What do I need? When I go through the floor, the hose would actually have to travel down and under a ceiling joist, then up and back down into the T. This should create a "trap" shouldn't it? Or, should I install a one way check valve in the hose as it comes down to keep water from coming back up through as well? If I do, will this restrict the flow too much?

Thanks in advance for all your help!
    Shawn

Re: How to install dishwasher drain

Originally posted by sleap View Post
    I'm installing a dishwasher that's not next to a sink and also not able to run the drain through any cabinets. I have a hole through the floor to the basement to run the drain through, with a T in the drain line in the basement that I want to drain the DW to. I've been told by some that the loop is a requirement and the DW won't drain without it. I've been told by others that the loop is there basically as a trap and just keeps the "stink" out.

What do I need? When I go through the floor, the hose would actually have to travel down and under a ceiling joist, then up and back down into the T. This should create a "trap" shouldn't it? Or, should I install a one way check valve in the hose as it comes down to keep water from coming back up through as well? If I do, will this restrict the flow too much?

Thanks in advance for all your help!
    Shawn
    With all due respect you really need to hire a licensed plumber. There is not one thing you've listed which would be legal under any plumbing code I am aware of. What is the health and safety of your family worth?

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Nice cross connection sleap.
      How do you feel about washing your dishes in the toilet.

There are a few scenarios(at least)that would contaminate you dishasher with sewage.

Comment

Indirect waste into a vented trap please.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sleap View Post
          When I go through the floor, the hose would actually have to travel down and under a ceiling joist, then up and back down into the T.
          oh my...

Comment

If you don't like your family, you could do it like this.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
              If you don't like your family, you could do it like this.
              So here's the cool part.
              Where is that 7/8" hose going to from the disposal?

Comment

Homey's quite the man.Looks like we got a liitle sharkbite plumbing going on.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                  Homey's quite the man.Looks like we got a liitle sharkbite plumbing going on.

Time Check
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    Time Check
                    I fell asleep right after the debates.too soon.Looks like it's going to be a long day.

Comment

This one gets and official OMG !

Looks like the air gap or hose clogged, so he did the natural next best thing! No point spending any time fixing that!

Looks like he has plenty of overflow going on, from the condition of the cabinet base! Could start a blue cheese factory with the mold goint on. And no need to run water in the sink to fill a pot for the spaghetti....looks like the DW overflow could just go right into the pot in the drawer there!

Comment

sleap, another issue with your scenario is the dishwasher will siphon as the dishwasher drain valve is not a 100% shut off. with the hose going below the level of the dishwasher, you will end up with a dry dishwasher by the end of the cycle.

the dishwasher should be installed close enough to the sink to permit the factory hose to connect within reach of the air gap.

adam, mark, burning the midnight oil

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          sleap, another issue with your scenario is the dishwasher will siphon as the dishwasher drain valve is not a 100% shut off. with the hose going below the level of the dishwasher, you will end up with a dry dishwasher by the end of the cycle.

the dishwasher should be installed close enough to the sink to permit the factory hose to connect within reach of the air gap.

adam, mark, burning the midnight oil

rick.
                          Rick, thanks for the reply. I realize that what I'm looking to do isn't right, that's why I came here to ask. It's impossible to install the dishwasher where it can drain into the sink drain, even if I were to order the factory extended length hose and run it through the cabinets.

One more thing too, there is a disposal under the sink, not sure if that matters or not.

The only way I have of draining the dishwasher is into the drain pipe directly below it in the basement. Surely there has to be a proper way of being able to do this?

If I come down through the floor and install an air vent there, then into the drain, is that possible? While I don't really want to run a hose all the way there, I could possibly run the drain into another drain area where there is a sink in the basement and it's the only thing on that particular drain line.

Comment

Maybe you should look into a portable one. At least it would be safe.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2385873

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...N=0+4294951025

Do a google search

shup
                            Last edited by shup; 10-03-2008, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X