X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain noise

I have a kitchen sink installed in an island, the waste drains through a pipe shared by the sink in the laundry room below. The laundry room sink is emptied by an ejector pump. When the pump cycles on air is sucked through the trap (you can hear a gurgling noise) under the kitchen sink. There is no vent between the sink and the laundry room. Doesn't really bother me (just turn the TV up) but my wife wants to know if its safe and can I do something about the noise - from the sink, not the TV.

Thanks,
    tchads

Re: Drain noise

Originally posted by tchads View Post
    I have a kitchen sink installed in an island, the waste drains through a pipe shared by the sink in the laundry room below. The laundry room sink is emptied by an ejector pump. When the pump cycles on air is sucked through the trap (you can hear a gurgling noise) under the kitchen sink. There is no vent between the sink and the laundry room. Doesn't really bother me (just turn the TV up) but my wife wants to know if its safe and can I do something about the noise - from the sink, not the TV.

Thanks,
    tchads
    you don't have proper venting.

i can't say what will fix it because i'm not there. but this much i can say, air is being sucked into the plumbing system because your particular installation is wrong. the drainage system isn't breathing properly.

less-worse case scenario; the trap in the k.s. gets sucked out and your kitchen smells like poo and rotten grease.

worse-case scenario; enough sewer gas is introduced into the house in concentrations high enough to kill the occupants.

hire a licenced plumber to diagnose and fix the problem. don't take chances.

Comment

You absolutely have a venting issue, it may be that you are using the downstairs vent as a waste stack. An island vent may have to be run.

Comment

tchads,
        Are you able to show some pictures.If so,we could possibly give you a remedy.

Comment

Attached sketch is close. It looks like the plumber left a place for a vent of some kind (2nd vert. pipe). Sorry about the sideways image.
          Thanks,
          tchads
          Attached Files

Comment

you may be able to use a "cheater vent" or air emittence device ( like a check valve, lets air behind water and stays shut on back pressure)on your k.s. Place it as hight as you can under island, above the drain pipe for the k.s. Check your local code and see if you can use it.
            if u cant bedazzle em with briliance, baffle em with bulls&*t

Comment

Are you sure the "ABS cap / plug" isn't an AAV? We're allowed to use them up here on island vent applications.

Originally posted by tchads View Post
              Attached sketch is close. It looks like the plumber left a place for a vent of some kind (2nd vert. pipe). Sorry about the sideways image.
              Thanks,
              tchads

Comment

Originally posted by row View Post
                you may be able to use a "cheater vent" or air emittence device ( like a check valve, lets air behind water and stays shut on back pressure)on your k.s. Place it as hight as you can under island, above the drain pipe for the k.s. Check your local code and see if you can use it.
                Second that....beat me too it.

Comment

I looked to see if there is a "cheater vent", no just a solid PVC cap. I'll check with the plumbing inspector to see what is allowed.

Thanks for the help.

Our first house (built in 1933) had a tub/shower drain that made a gurgling noise off and on - nothing constant. Is this usually caused by a venting problem? Nothing I can do about it now, just wondering.

Comment

[B][/B the drain for your sink and laundry are draining into the vent opening on the lid of the ejector sump

Comment

Originally posted by stokefire7 View Post
                      [b][/B the drain for your sink and laundry are draining into the vent opening on the lid of the ejector sump
                      Nope, ejector pump is vented properly - easy access to the vent pipe in the basement.

Comment

If that's the case, why is it fighting for equilibrium ?

Comment

Ejector pump works fine. When it cycles on it empties into the same line from the sink in the kitchen island above and pulls air into the line through the kitchen sink trap. If I understand it right there's no vent for the kitchen sink so air is sucked through the trap.

Comment

Working...
                          X