Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: commercial bathrooms and floor drains

Hi guys;

How fortuitous that I saw this posting! I'm considering installing a floor drain in my own home's main floor laundry area. After two minor floods into my finished basement, (laundry sink overflows), I figured it was a good idea.
    I was concerned about trap primers; their installation, reliability and their water consumption rate.
    I've only ever seen traps that have been fed by a polypro or PVC line that extends from a tap set. Are there other styles? How do you tie into the trap itself? Would you use a dishwasher type drain fitting (ABS) at the trap or is there a special fitting?

Quite frankly, I'm amazed that with the popularity of second story laundry rooms that the insurance companies haven't been screaming for code changes (or perhaps they have...!)

Comment

Terminate it outside the foundation and forget the trap primer altogether. Put a backwater valve near the end to help prevent rodent/air intrusion.

J.C.

Comment

Where I live it is perfectly legal to allow manual priming of the trap (i.e. a bucket of water dumped down there once and a while).

Comment

M Frugal This what I suggest. Drain pan under washer piped to dump 6" off the ground outside the foundation. Add a watts EDP0004640 Intelliflow auto wash,machine shut off valve and watts 60" 3/4" stainless reinforced hoses Both togeather for $192.67 AT

www.amazon.com
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I considered the pan underneath the washer idea,(and BTW, I've already installed braided hoses) but it doesn't solve the laundry tub overflow issue.
            Actually what happened the first time wasn't the laundry tub at all- it was my beer making equipment. I had 23 litres (that's 5 gallons to ya 'mericans) of sterilizing solution soaking in a bucket, and the vibration on the floor from the washer caused a hose to bounce out and siphon all 23 litres onto the floor. Doh!
            I wanted to make better use of the space by turning the laundry area into a mud room/dog wash station, since it has direct access to outside. Then maybe my wife will stop washing the damn dog in the acrylic shower stall (scratch, scratch).
            I do like the direct drain to outside, since I would run parallel to the floor joists. However, since it would be used for more than a "safety" drain, I'm not sure it would pass code here.
            I may just leave it not primed and top the trap up with some mineral oil to prevent evaporation. (After I shoot the damn dog)

Comment

We'll all post our address for some of Your Northern SUDS
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Greetings..

I'm russell,im no plumber of any sorts but im sure is a fast learner.Reason why i joined this forum is to learn a thing or two about how you guys do your work? Nyways.,just want to say Hi to everyone..

powertools

Comment

Working...
                X