X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• commercial bathrooms and floor drains

Alameda Ca. Stopped at a new starbucks today. Men's room had no floor drain.
    I don't do any Comm. plumbing. Is the drain the designer's call???
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: commercial bathrooms and floor drains

Where I live it is related to the urinals.

Urinals that automatically flush (no sensor - flush based on time and/or when the tank develops head) - need a floor drain

Urinals with manual flush - no floor drain

Urinals that flush by sensor - no floor drain

Comment

Is it a designers call?
      For the most part,yes.
      I'd like to see more of my customers lean towards them.Unfortunately it's not my money.It's an investment to put in the drain,trap primer and slope the floor for drainage.So they more than likely go without.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
        Alameda Ca. Stopped at a new starbucks today. Men's room had no floor drain.
        I don't do any Comm. plumbing. Is the drain the designer's call???
        Working out that way Tool? I was near there in Oakland today.

Greg

Comment

I worked for a couple of months in Oakland on some condos right at the west side of the Caldecott Tunnel up on the hill just north of the freeway. It was a nice project but it was tough finding a decent place to stay in Oakland. I think it retrospect Orinda may have been a better place to stay.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Greg and Mark. There is an Alcoa gutter Dist. in Alameda. I still hang My own gutters
            032. hangers 2 ft. O.C. Strong system! ladders will never deflect or dent these.
            All the seamless guys go thinner and space hangers 3 ft. and 4ft. TERRIBLE!
            Allum . hangers are $.88 each! Mark ,OAKLAND IS GARBAGE!! Killings every week!
            Some contractors are always armed and Marine Corps trained!
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              Is it a designers call?
              For the most part,yes.
              I'd like to see more of my customers lean towards them.Unfortunately it's not my money.It's an investment to put in the drain,trap primer and slope the floor for drainage.So they more than likely go without.
              brings up some questions for me; I'd never run into a trap primer until recently.

they exist to keep the trap from drying out? or another reason?

when are they required?

are they new? or is the requirement new? I've only seen a couple and both in brand new buildings.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                Greg and Mark. There is an Alcoa gutter Dist. in Alameda. I still hang My own gutters
                032. hangers 2 ft. O.C. Strong system! ladders will never deflect or dent these.
                All the seamless guys go thinner and space hangers 3 ft. and 4ft. TERRIBLE!
                Allum . hangers are $.88 each! Mark ,OAKLAND IS GARBAGE!! Killings every week!
                Some contractors are always armed and Marine Corps trained!
                anywhere else in oakland is ok butttt i wouldn't want to be working in east oakland for sure! i done some really nice houses in the hills

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                  brings up some questions for me; I'd never run into a trap primer until recently.

they exist to keep the trap from drying out? or another reason?

when are they required?

are they new? or is the requirement new? I've only seen a couple and both in brand new buildings.
                  They are there to keep the trap from drying out. Connected to a lav. drain. Often an area will let you put in a hosebibb (vandal protected) under a lav. or in an accessible area to "wet" the trap in my experience.

If you're cleaning the floor as you should, seems like the trap would stay primed to me.

J.C.

Comment

We use mechanical primers that are activated from a fixture dropping the staic pressure.They also make tailpieces for flushometers that with provide enough water to a trap.Usually a mop is too dry to provide enough water for traps.I have been turned down with the hose bib."What if nobody uses it,how do they know to use it."

Comment

We have a large remodel coming up in S.F. Ist floor walkout has a garage bay with old
                      floor drain, no trap primer no vent .House is about 70 years old. concrete slab whole Ist floor. 2 new bedrooms,office, new bath. lots of C.I. in slab relocated. Over the phone
                      [building insp, not one of the plumbing Insp. said "no touch No primer" We'll see!

Comment

Tool/Kevin

If you are breaking the concrete near the floor drain, I bet you lunch that you'll be replacing it w/vent and primer.

If the concrete around it stays, then you may be ok...I'd almost make the bet regardless though because of no vent.

Greg

Comment

Thanks Greg, I may just do it anyway.

Comment

to add to the trap primer discussion.

trap primers use to be allowed with a separate shut off valve. no more

also they use to have an adjusting screw. we can't use those kind either.

truthfully, a trap primer valve is a pain in the butt.

i prefer the non mechanical style, such as on a tail piece of a flushometer.

unfortunately, not ever application is on a commercial bathroom. lots are on laundry floor drains in residential applications.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Do I need professional help? Here in Ca. Safeway is the large grocery chain. I use the bathroom there once in a while. I notice the stainless steel trap primer door is always open
                              and a spray bottle with bathroom cleaner is in there! Tight fit,so this Guy shuts off the full port valve to accommodate spray bottle fit. I remove spray bottle,turn on valve ,use My leatherman tool to lock door. Happens again,I'll remove valve handle. This could get interesting! Told Ya I like Plumin.

Comment

Working...
                              X