Laundry Vent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Laundry Vent

Something is screwy about that pic or maybe me and tool are the ones with problems. I see the standpipe, the ptrap, but I don't see any fitting on the pipe where the ptrap connects to.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      Something is screwy about that pic or maybe me and tool are the ones with problems. I see the standpipe, the ptrap, but I don't see any fitting on the pipe where the ptrap connects to.
      Looks like it's directly behind the split ring to me. The weir 90 looks long to me though. Could be wrong.

J.C.

Comment

I need to see more pics of this. The standpipe looks to be 1 1/2". Look at the drain line and the standpipe and it appears to be 2 different diameters. The fitting behind the split ring looks to be a C/O.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          I need to see more pics of this. The standpipe looks to be 1 1/2". Look at the drain line and the standpipe and it appears to be 2 different diameters. The fitting behind the split ring looks to be a C/O.
          I think the depth of field messes with you. I can't quite read the writing on the standpipe but based on the distance and depth it looks like 2" to me. I don't see the C.O. at all behind the split ring.

On the side, the I95 keeps making $$$. Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Glad to hear it's working out for you.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Now that I looked at the pic again I can see that I wasn't looking at it right. I see what you mean JC. They put a cleanout on the end of runs here so that's what I was thinking of for some reason. I'm just thrown off.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

[quote=toolaholic;180456]
                Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                Heya Jack from a fella Bostonian ...it's fine.
                The 2" drain is in fact very good, our code only requires 1-1/2" for a laundry.

The distance from trap to vent has to be 2 times the diameter plus 2 converted from inches to feet. If code back there is 1 1/2" , do You still go 2" for a better performing drain!
                Nope - 5'

Edit, misinterpretted the question, 5" max to vent from weir for 1-1/2".
                2" for commercial, I use 2" when possible, but it's 1-1/2" norm.
                And it's not a problem with sudsing if thats where your going.
                Last edited by DuckButter; 10-05-2008, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Is the washing machine located adjacent to this trap? Or is it on a floor above. That would not be allowed, at least under UPC

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    The question was not directed at you at all. Just the OP.

Here the IPC interpretation is:

Laundry box 35" above the finished floor.
                    31" residential, 32" commercial in the o/p's (my) state.
                    Minimum 24" drop to trap weir. Maximum 48".
                    18" to 28" here.
                    No san. T's on their back or horizontal drainage period.
                    None here, not on vents either, I mentioned that, but as a vent it isn't that big a deal.
                    NO DRILLING HORIZONTAL OVER 1.5" PIPE. Regardless of live/dead load or double studding. Pretty much kills your trap on the topside. Don't go moving studs too much either.
                    I don't understand what you mean here.
                    I forget the distance required from a san. tee vent to the trap outlet. 2 times something another. Basically 6" or more.
                    Min 2 times the pipe diameter to avoid a crown vent, max I typed above, 2 times diameter plus 2 converted from inches to feet.
                    No trap on exterior wall without 6" wall/insulation.
                    Not inside the wall when it's closed off from living area's.
                    Vent within 6'. Drain branch must be increased to 3" within 6' or less.
                    Not here.
                    Need primer.
                    Plumbers here use clear primer, purple is usually a giveaway that it was bought at HD.
                    I still want to see all of this ran through clear pipe with all the measurements out of range to see if the trap siphons.
                    J.C.
                    Clear?
                    The trap won't siphon, the dimensions are to code...at least by his description and based on the pic.

Comment

31" residential, 32" commercial in the o/p's (my) state.

18" to 28" here.

None here, not on vents either, I mentioned that, but as a vent it isn't that big a deal.

I don't understand what you mean here.

Min 2 times the pipe diameter to avoid a crown vent, max I typed above, 2 times diameter plus 2 converted from inches to feet.

Not inside the wall when it's closed off from living area's.

Not here.

Plumbers here use clear primer, purple is usually a giveaway that it was bought at HD.
                      Clear?
                      The trap won't siphon, the dimensions are to code...at least by his description and based on the pic.
                      The purpose of DWV as I understand it is removal of wastewater, distribution of gases, and trap seal protection. Everybody's areas seems to be a little different, (dimensions) yet they're all strict about their code. Just would like to see it ran in clear DWV to see who's actually right.

Here we have to use purple primer on everything.

The drilling statement refers to how I've often seen plumbers of the past that would drill the 2" drain off the trap through the adjoining stud to a san. tee then through the floor. Can't do that under the interpretation here. Even with double studding or if it's in a non-bearing interior wall with trusses carrying the load.

2 times the pipe diameter for minimum distance to avoid crown venting? So, typically 4" right?

J.C.

Comment

The purpose of DWV as I understand it is removal of wastewater, distribution of gases, and trap seal protection. Everybody's areas seems to be a little different, (dimensions) yet they're all strict about their code. Just would like to see it ran in clear DWV to see who's actually right.

Here we have to use purple primer on everything.

The drilling statement refers to how I've often seen plumbers of the past that would drill the 2" drain off the trap through the adjoining stud to a san. tee then through the floor. Can't do that under the interpretation here. Even with double studding or if it's in a non-bearing interior wall with trusses carrying the load.

2 times the pipe diameter for minimum distance to avoid crown venting? So, typically 4" right?

J.C.
                        I agree on the clear pipe idea, Mark Utah told us he once ran drainage in clear for a class to demonstrate proper pitch, apparently overdoing the pitch DOES leave solids behind.

As for drilling through studs for drainage, the only places we have to concern with that are load bearing structures and window/door "jacks" - double studs to support the openings frame.
                        Ironically, the O/P should know more about this than I would, it's building code. (CMR780)

For this reason it's common to see kitchen drains come from the side of the cabinet at an angle to avoid the jack for the window above.

Comment

Pay close attention to the dimensions they use here. What screws me is I am required to be 35" above the finished floor. With only 48" total drop. Really think about that. The inlet of the trap is lower than the outlet. So you are right on the edge everytime of breaking the 48" barrier. Then I must have fall, vent, AND increase it to 3" all within 6'.

I can't drill horizontally above. So the trap has to go below. To make the 35"/48" requirement it's not uncommon to have to drill the floor joists. And THAT must follow code also. Must strip both sides with 1/2" plywood for 4' with the grain running horizontal and 10# nails 4" on center. No OSB. No 3/8".

I hate the W/M section.

J.C.

Comment

JC, I think you might be confusing the 35" min height with a "required" height, or maybe you're thinking the trap height as opposed to the inlet height.

I simply connect the Tee-wye for the arm to a height that accomodates the min 31" stand pipe inlet requirement...there's a HUGE allowance for max height (I need to look it up, but I think you can go as high as 84")

Also, my code requires the 31" measurement from the base of the washer, not the finished floor.

I still don't understand what you mean by horizontal drilling...but then, a ham sandwich can also confuse me.

Comment

JC, I think you might be confusing the 35" min height with a "required" height, or maybe you're thinking the trap height as opposed to the inlet height.

I simply connect the Tee-wye for the arm to a height that accomodates the min 31" stand pipe inlet requirement...there's a HUGE allowance for max height (I need to look it up, but I think you can go as high as 84")

Also, my code requires the 31" measurement from the base of the washer, not the finished floor.

I still don't understand what you mean by horizontal drilling...but then, a ham sandwich can also confuse me.
                              We're both close to going crosseyed trying to understand both interpretations. I'm going to take CE soon to reconfirm this but the requirements are enforced this way here:

1)The BOX itself must be 35" above the finished floor.

2)The MAXIMUM standpipe is 48". This screws me (and I've asked 2 inspectors from different areas about it) because it only leaves 12"+- (1" subfloor) under the floor. You lose another 2" to the trap differential-inlet is lower. That leaves me with 10". But then you have a 2x10 and you've got to go left or right. That's 9.5" leaving me with only .5" over the trap outlet. Put tile on the floor and I'm against the joist to meet the maximum 48".

Confusing, I know.

35" to the bottom of box+
                              1" subfloor+
                              9.5" joist+
                              2" trap difference between inlet & outlet+
                              .5" finished floor=

48"

If you have to angle over a pillar or masonry wall after going through the floor and reangle to level the trap, that distance counts as verticle-so you can end up in the joist bay to keep within the 48" requirement-before it's vented. Then you have to pick up the vent somewhere. Usually going horizontal meaning you might have to drill a joist or two, strip with plywood, pick up a san. tee/vent, drop below the joists and continue on.

The horizontal drilling I'm referring too is that basically with this interpretation that you can't put the trap above in the wall. But putting it below the floor is very restrictive code wise.

Sometimes you can get the trap in the wall by worming some 45's around in the wall but I hate doing that. I like to have the least amount of turns as possible. Side inlet W/M boxes can help too. But not that often.

Crosseyed yet? I'll double check at CE as I might be crazy as he!!.

J.C.

P.S. I don't really do plumbing but am guessing this might work.
                              Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 10-05-2008, 05:14 PM.

Comment

We're both close to going crosseyed trying to understand both interpretations. I'm going to take CE soon to reconfirm this but the requirements are enforced this way here:

1)The BOX itself must be 35" above the finished floor.
                                I think you're assuming this is the required height as opposed to minimum.
                                You also stated you have 24" to 48" of play on the standpipe length.
                                Or am I wrong?

Comment

Working...
                                X